iPhone, iTunes issues

Posted: 03 February 2010 12:48 PM

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3gs and I can’t update any of my apps in iTunes. If I try it says error 414, this happens on 3 different computers. I have over 104 updates available, but it refuses to do anything but take my password then give me a 414 error, anyone else have this problem?

Also I can’t figure out how to play songs on my iPhone in iTunes, all my songs are grey’d out. I have several iPods and they play back music fine through any of my computers but my iPhone will only play back through one of them. I would understand if Apple didn’t want me to copy songs to other computers from my phone but I can’t even play them back like I can on every other iPod I have ever owned, anyone else have this problem?

I’ve been waiting for an update but one just came out and didn’t do anything to address my problems. I have tried to search the internet but the only things I’ve found are years old.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 03 February 2010 03:55 PM #1

Turn off auto syncing to get the songs “un-greyed”. That will allow you to play them.

Remove any apps that are no longer available on the app store. See if that will start the downloads again. Also check for any that are 17+ age limits (you’d be surprised what fits that category, including eBay). Disable those.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 04 February 2010 05:41 PM #2

Intruder - 03 February 2010 07:55 PM

Turn off auto syncing to get the songs “un-greyed”. That will allow you to play them.

If I do this it says it will erase all my songs.

Intruder - 03 February 2010 07:55 PM

Remove any apps that are no longer available on the app store. See if that will start the downloads again. Also check for any that are 17+ age limits (you’d be surprised what fits that category, including eBay). Disable those.

There are several that do require 17+ but it asks me to click ok before the 414 error shows up. There are now 109 updates available, I don’t have time to go through each one to see if they are available on the store, shouldn’t iTunes be able to do this for me?

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:24 PM #3

Interesting. That is a feature they have changed in iTunes. Used to be able to turn off syncing and be able to play the songs. At least with an iPod. How annoying.

Regarding the second issue, you’re right. iTunes should be able to do this. However, it doesn’t appear that it actually does. From what I can find, the non-availability issue seems to be the cause of the 414 error more often than not.

Signature

• Posted: 30 March 2010 06:54 AM #4

Hey, I’ve got a crazy idea! Instead of welcoming us, the loyal Blackberry users, to kick the tires around the new blog, why not put the elves to work on adding a new little link to the homepage that takes us directly to some sort of “Network Status” page? Maybe that way we could come here first to see when our devices are in paperweight mode instead of calling all our respective service providers to get the response of “RIM is having nationwide problems again, so it’s not a (insert carrier name here) network problem, it’s specifically a Blackberry problem.” And in light of these situations, especially considering that this is the second nationwide outage in about a week, what about allowing us to use a POP e-mail solution on our Blackberry devices when the network does suffer a nationwide failure?

Posted: 30 March 2010 10:56 AM #5

What are you on about?

Signature

Posted: 30 March 2010 04:45 PM #6

Just some fool who’s about to change his tagline to a spam link. Sigh.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming