24 ***may contain spoilers for just-aired episodes***

• Posted: 04 December 2002 04:42 AM #16

Wow, everyone liked this one, eh? grin  I still love the show and wouldn’t stop watching it, but I’ll tell you I get a little less impressed when I can predict things.  For instance, just through the course of last night’s show, I was fully anticipating the shot where Megan’s father sees them out the window.  Groan.  Kim is of course amazingly stupid, but that is what we are supposed to see.  I think we are supposed to be completely annoyed and screaming at her.  A little bit less predictable but still not entirely unsuspected was the idea that Kate and Marie’s father might have something to do with whatever they found out about Reza.  He was far too dismissive of Kate’s original fears at the beginning.  I was wondering if this “best epsidode yet” or however they were hyping it would feature Sherry Palmer.  Anyone who visited the web site knew that Sherry Palmer (as well as Nina Myers) were in the Character Guide, so we knew she would turn up at some point.  What her game is I dunno.

I edited the thread title to include a spoiler warning.  More than most other shows, 24 seems to almost require discussing spoiler-type stuff when its over, and part of its appeal is not knowing what happened before watching.  There seem to be fewer specific plot discussions in the Firefly thread, for instance.  (Of course, there hasn’t been a new Firefly ep the past two weeks.  That changes this Friday.)

Posted: 10 December 2002 09:33 PM #17

Rawk!  :D

Sheri Palmer is one crazy, delusional, freaky b!†ch.  And I like it.  :eg:  I’m still enjoying it.  Every second.  Especially when there is so little Kim and so much Sheri and Jack playing crazy with Nina.  w00t!

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

• Posted: 11 December 2002 08:06 AM #18

Yeah, it was nice how little Kim there was in this ep.  But.  After I saw the preview with the open the trunk scene, I predicted what would be in the trunk, and I was right.  Oh, well.

• Posted: 22 December 2002 04:34 PM #19

OK, I’m a bit late to the game, but I just want to say, HOLY F*CKING SH*T!!! I *LOVE* THIS SHOW!

I still haven’t seen one minute of the first season—I missed out bigtime, and haven’t yet picked up the DVD—but have religiously watched the 2nd season every week, and it’s absolutely riveting.

I’m getting more and more paranoid about spoilers from the first season, however—in the first few episodes, season 2 only revealed a few (kind of unavoidable & obvious) facts, (Jack, his daughter, and Palmer all survived, Palmer did indeed make it into the White House, and Jacks’ wife was killed), but the more recent episodes are starting to reveal other Big Things that I had no knowledge of before (Palmers’ wife is a pretty unpleasant character, Jacks’ wife was killed by CTU agent Nina, etc.).  Something tells me I’d better pick up the DVD of Season 1, PRONTO! smile

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 15 January 2003 07:07 AM #20

In addition to being *THE* best show on TV right now (followed closely by Buffy, natch), they went above & beyond the call of duty regarding the Apple/Mac product placement last night—this time they had a steady, fairly close-up shot of the Jaguar boot screen (grey Apple logo), followed by a second steady shot of the OS X progress bar screen as someone booted up a 17” iMac.

Not only was this an extra-helping of brand promotion for Apple, it was also, to my knowledge, the first time in history that *any* TV show or movie has acknowledged that real computers actually take a few moments to boot up! smile

—BlueDjinn

p.s. Picked up the DVD set of Season 1 over the weekend…gotta do a marathon watching to catch up to date!

Signature

• Posted: 15 January 2003 07:18 AM #21

And yet… and yet…

Something about that startup looked off to me, if you’re talking about Werner’s computer. (But I don’t think you are - where was this 17inch iMac? The computer on the desk looked like a Sawtooth G4 to me.)

Werner’s boot process was… odd. Maybe my memory fails me, but I don’t recall the OS X boot process ever having a window roughly the size/shape of the OS X about box, with a progress bar flush with the bottom (a violation of Apple’s interface guidelines). When I saw it, I thought “Rhapsody”, though that’s not accurate - there was a clearly visible X logo there, which would make it post-Rhapsody.

I’m thinking developer prerelease, personally. But that’s kinda weird too… :bugeyed: Makes me wonder about where that computer came from…

Definitely agreed about one thing though - 24 is one of the best shows on TV, if not the best. Andy Richter is at the top of my list for comedy, incidentally. smile

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

• Posted: 15 January 2003 07:22 AM #22

[quote author=“JVarner”]Something about that startup looked off to me, if you’re talking about Werner’s computer. (But I don’t think you are - where was this 17inch iMac? The computer on the desk looked like a Sawtooth G4 to me.)

Now that I think of it, you’re right, it was a 17” Studio Display, not an iMac.

Regarding the logo/boot-up screen…hmmm…will have to re-watch it to see what you’re talking about (I taped it).

Andy Rules!

Signature

• Posted: 15 January 2003 07:58 AM #23

I noticed the bizzare boot process as well.  I’ve run every version of OS X since DP 3, and non had anything quite like that.  The X looking like it does is only from the beta and on. 

But, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a movie or TV make their own “faked” operating system to get the look they want, or just for fun.  Kinda like the G5 reference in Kate and Leopold.

Back on to 24.  Unfortunately I don’t usually have the time to watch it all like I would like.  I’ve only seen 3 or so epidsodes this season, but I agree it’s awesome.  I think I might buy the set from last season, and probably the set from this season when it’s released.

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 15 January 2003 01:47 PM #24

I saw it too.  The boot progress stuff was definitely not quite real, but it *did* actually tout Mac OS X on a Studio Display rather than being a generic startup screen.  It was interesting.

As for the show, whoa, two twists for the price of one!  :D And we have to wait 3 weeks for the next one! rolleyes

• Posted: 18 January 2003 08:05 PM #25

Season 1 DVD Update:

I’m happy to announce that I finally picked up the Season1 DVD set, and have already watched the first 6 episodes.

I’m disappointed to report that while *I* absolutely *love* this show, my fiancee (who agreed to watch the first few episodes with me), can’t handle it—that is, she thinks it’s an excellent story/acting/concept/etc., but she just can’t handle the high violence quotient…nothing against her, it’s just not her bag.

Ah, well; I guess we each have our own personal tastes, I don’t hold it against her, guess 9-10 Tuesday is just for me smile

As for Season 1—I have a very odd perspective now, watching episodes 1-10 of season 2 *before* watching season 1; it gives one an interesting point of view of certain things, like the Jack/Nina relationship, etc.

*SPOILERS, BUT IF YOU’RE READING THIS FAR YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE SEEN THE SHOW…*

I also find it amusing to see that they “upped the ante” from season one on little things, not just the big ones—for instance, in season 1, Jack kills a guy, then cuts off his thumb—in season 2, he kills a guy, then cuts off his head.  What about season 3? Will he completely dismember a guy??

Also, having watched half of season 2 and a quarter of season 1, I’m starting to notice a trend, which I *hope* is coincidence (if it isn’t, then it kind of ruins the rest of season 2 for me), namely: there seems to be a “good guys use Macs, bad guys use Dells” trend—if true, I appreciate the sentiment wink but it makes it too easy to spot the bad guys, you know?

Signature

• Posted: 24 January 2003 04:21 PM #26

I hate 24!!

The show is great but can they every finish a darn story in more than 10 episodes?  I dont have the luxury of watching it on regular TV (live in Japan) so i have to download it (could be illegal but really dont care).  I have watched the first season episodes 1-8 so far and they still havent finished the first story.  I am not saying that its not a great show but #$#% hurry up :D Ok i am finished ranting.  Gotta watch the next few to get to the end of the story….i hope.

ps. I still think Buffy sucks… raspberry

Signature

“I know a little bit about everything, and a lot about nothing!!”

• Posted: 25 January 2003 11:24 AM #27

The story takes place for one whole day, and each show covers one hour of the day.  The story is spread over the entire 24 shows in a complete season.  I agree, it’s hard to keep up with!  If you ever miss a show, you can get a minute-by-minute rundown of what happened from the episode guide at http://www.fox.com/24

• Posted: 25 January 2003 01:52 PM #28

Well, I finally wrapped up the finale of Season 1, and I gotta say—WOW.

Granted, several *major* plot points were already ruined for me ‘cus I’ve been watching season 2 (and therefore already knew about Teri, Nina, Palmer, his wife, etc.), but I was *still* blown away by *how* it all played out.

SPOILERS FROM SEASON 1:
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

90% of other TV shows & movies would have NEVER killed off Teri, especially since she was also supposed to be pregnant.  At worst, they would have had her shot/injured badly, but she would have survived after a long, drawn-out surgery etc.

Even the few shows/movies that would have been gutsy enough to kill her off would have done so in a more cheesey way—they would have had her “sacrifice herself to save Jack” or some such nonsense.

This is the *ONLY* TV show I’ve ever seen that dared to treat the manner of her death, in the end, just like that of most of the other good/bad guys—just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting caught in the crossfire.

It’s also noteworthy that in the end, Nina *wasn’t* going to kill Teri (why bother to tie her up & gag her instead of just plugging her?); she really was going to just tie her up long enough to get away…but at the very last second realized that Teri had overheard her speaking in German, which would be enough to trace her down.  This was devastatingly, beautifully, and subtley handled—if I hadn’t already known that Nina kills Teri, I would never have guessed it from the final scene between the two of them, where it really looks like she’s just gonna leave Teri there.

And here’s the real kicker: In the end, Kim really *is* sort of responsible for her mothers’ death—not because of her running off in the first episode (leading to the initial kidnapping), but because if she hadn’t escaped at the end, Nina would have never been revealed! (It wasn’t her tipping the Drazens off about Palmer that clued Jack in—they could have learned that from Sherry’s big mouth leak—it was her making up the story about Kim being dead).

All in all, a stunning show.

Signature

• Posted: 28 January 2003 10:41 PM #29

What season and episode…

What season and episode are they on now?  I have watched the entire first season and have started the second. Thanks in advance.

ET

Signature

“I know a little bit about everything, and a lot about nothing!!”

• Posted: 29 January 2003 04:31 AM #30

Re: What season and episode…

[quote author=“ET”]What season and episode are they on now?  I have watched the entire first season and have started the second. Thanks in advance.

2nd season, around the 10th episode I believe.

Didn’t air last week or this week but next week is a new one (yayyy!)

Signature