24 ***may contain spoilers for just-aired episodes***

• Posted: 05 March 2003 07:10 AM #46

It’s not next week, it’s 3 weeks!  Luckily, I’m not upset, as this means I will for sure not miss any! smile (I’ll be in UK next Tuesday and flying back the following Tuesday.)

• Posted: 05 March 2003 10:24 AM #47

[quote author=“CrazyOne”]It’s not next week, it’s 3 weeks!  Luckily, I’m not upset, as this means I will for sure not miss any! smile (I’ll be in UK next Tuesday and flying back the following Tuesday.)

WOW

Those are some connections you must have there CO.  Getting them to postpone the show for three weeks so you don’t miss it, WOW :D

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 20 May 2003 07:51 PM #48

SWEEEET!!!!

AWESOME comeback after some rather silly episodes!

ASTONISHINGLY cool final scene!!!

(and that’s all I have to say about that…see you next season!)

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 20 May 2003 08:00 PM #49

The show was renewed in February, earlier than is typical, and there has been speculation that the extra time may have been used to develop plot twists for tonight’s finale that would carry over into next season.

But executive producer and series co-creator Robert Cochran says there’s no connection: “The season finale does have a twist, but it had nothing to do with the early pickup (of the show). We just liked it.”

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-05-19-season-wrap_x.htm

Um, yeah, right. rolleyes

That doesn’t matter, though, it was still a great ride. :D A few things were predictable (to me), but they were in character, and seeing how we got to those points added suspense enough for me.  I have to wonder just how many days like this Bauer can realistically have, but they say they’re going with this format for a third time in the fall.

• Posted: 20 May 2003 08:36 PM #50

SPOILER ALERT!!!

X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    x
    x
    x

I agree that a lot of it was predictable, but that’s the beauty of “24”—even the predictable is done in an unpredictable way. Case in point: I knew Palmer would be reinstated, and I suspected that he *wouldn’t* can the Veep/cabinet (more on this below), but I also thought that he’d let Mike off the hook—until finding out about Lynn Kresge’s fall, at which point he’d have Mike arrested for kidnapping (I guess this’ll happen in between seasons instead now).  I really thought Sherry would die—but this way she’s alive to cause more mischief in Season 3, which is cool ‘cus she’s the evilest woman alive. Finally, I had heard a rumor about the final scene, but dismissed it as being way too out there—but was happy to be proven wrong. NAKED MANDY IS BACK! (not naked this time, unfortunately, but still…yay!)

Getting back to the non-resignation issue: It seems awfully sappy and silly for Palmer to let the Veep/cabinet members keep their jobs, but if you think it through, realistically, it actually makes a lot of sense, for both pragmatic and personal reasons: for one thing, as he notes in the show, given everything that’s just happened (nuclear explosion, administration in chaos, rioting in the streets, a just-barely-averted major military assault, etc.), the last thing the country needs right that moment is for a major upheaval of the U.S. Government. Best for everyone involved to just sweep the entire palace coup under the rug. In addition, as he also notes briefly, after dropping the ball bigtime once, there’s no way in hell that the Veep/cabinet folk will do it again—they’re not Evil, they just jumped the gun (BIGTIME) and are now shamed into towing the company line for the rest of his administration; in this case, their act of sedition actually makes them *more* trustworthy in the future, since Palmer will always have this card to play (not blackmail exactly, just a “gotcha” political card); they’ll be kissing his ass for the rest of his term(s) now…

...that is, assuming he has any more time in office after the Naked Mandy Handy Attack (as I’ve come to call it). Does he die? Doesn’t he die? I can’t imagine that season 3 would be a “24 hours to find the antidote”, for one simple reason: that would have to take place the next day (two days later at most), and I’m sorry, but even the biggest stretch of faith can’t get me to buy Jack Bauer hopping up off of his stretcher (after surviving a plane crash, torture, DEATH, *and* a heart attack in the past day, with no sleep, food or bathroom breaks) and *immediately* spending yet another 24 hours running around killing more people and sawing off more body parts.

On the other hand, what was it that the German Yacht Guy said? “It will start today?”  Hmmmmm….

Signature

• Posted: 21 May 2003 05:14 AM #51

Actually, when the VP and half of cabinet resigned, I figured right away he would try to convince them not to.  I just hoped he had the insight to show Mike the door, and he *did*!  They wrote all that pretty much exactly how I thought it should be played, given what we know about the Palmer character.

I agree that surely we can’t have the next 24 hours follow right on from these last 24, not if Bauer is the main character.  But obivously the bits that happened at the end will carry forward.  They’d have to.

• Posted: 21 May 2003 05:47 AM #52

[quote author=“CrazyOne”]I agree that surely we can’t have the next 24 hours follow right on from these last 24, not if Bauer is the main character.  But obivously the bits that happened at the end will carry forward.  They’d have to.

Actually, there’s any number of possibilities, given the nature of the show, and the 4-month lag between seasons 2 & 3:

—the toxin Palmer suffers at the end of the season might just be a non-fatal side effect of the “skin” that Naked Mandy uses; I figured the point of the handshake was to get Palmers’ fingerprints/DNA, myself.

—they could simply refer to his “near-death experience a few months ago” at the opening of season 3; presumably he was rushed to a hospital and had recovered by the time season 3 opens. This would be cop-out, but not unreasonable in the realistic sense.

—the only way to make the “24 hours to find a cure” angle work would be for the toxin to have some sort of pre-set “terminal deadline” of a few weeks/months later…that the doctors don’t discover until there’s only a day or so left, like a computer virus with a pre-programmed “doomsday” countdown. This would be *insanely* far-fetched, but would kind of make sense in the context of the show. Then again, having the whole season be about saving Palmers’ life would smack too much of Season 1 IMHO.

In addition, I’m not sure I see how poisoning Palmer is gonna cause a war in the Mid-East, unless the idea is to once again make Three Nameless Mid-East Nations the patsies for the poisoning. I can’t fathom this working either, however.

(shrug) Ah well, we’ll see what sort of ludicrously convoluted plot they come up with this time—but it’ll sure be fun watching!! smile

Signature

• Posted: 21 May 2003 09:01 AM #53

My first thought was that they were getting his DNA/handprint as well.  I pretty well dismissed it after seeing the effect on his hand, though.  Who knows?  Like The Matrix, we won’t really know until November.

• Posted: 21 May 2003 11:43 AM #54

The presence of Mandy, the airplane saboteur from the first episode of season 1, suggests that there’s a connection between the Drazens and this shadowy consortium. I wonder what it is.

You gotta love how well the 24 writers make a show. And how well they can run us around in circles. Like I did last season, look back at where we began. Episode 1: Nuclear bomb going to go off in Los Angeles, set by a terrorist group. Not where we ended up, is it? smile

Couple of notes: Anyone besides me notice how creepy Marie Warner looked in this episode? Those eyes of hers looked… soulless… Freaky. raspberry

I like how Palmer dealt with his rogue Cabinet. And I like how the Cabinet acted. Once they realized their mistake, they apologized, and offered to resign - as you’d expect for people who put their positions on the line fighting their President. And I like how Palmer responded - I need you around to help me. You may have been misguided, but at least you were honest about it. And Novick - Perfectly handled. Did anyone else notice the tear when he was asked to step down? Beautiful. You could just see him crumbling inside.

Man do I ever love this show! So looking forward to season 3. smile

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

• Posted: 21 May 2003 02:49 PM #55

Oh yes, I noticed how creepy Marie looked, absolutely.  And you guys are way more observant than I am.  I can’t possibly remember back far enough to recognize that the woman at the end was from the first season.  Nobody else I’ve talked to noticed it either (well, that’s only 3 other people, and I know one of them didn’t see the first season, leaving 2 others besides me that didn’t note the connection).

Posted: 21 May 2003 04:28 PM #56

... make that three.   :D

I knew she had to have some connection to either earlier in this season or the first one, but I had no idea from where.

I loved the first episode from season one, though. It got me hooked for two years!

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter