AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 10 February 2010 12:27 PM #31

I guess the volume is low today because NYC is enjoying a snow day.  My familys enjoying a brunch with potato pancakes topped with sour cream and chopped red onion.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 10 February 2010 12:48 PM #32

Not sure if this has been noted, but Yahoo Finance has updated AAPL’s PE to 19!

As a side note, I read an article today where the author seemed suprised that AAPL would show up on his screen as a value play along with the likes of GIS or CLX. Looks like there might be some very delayed light bulbs going off now that the filters and screens will start piccking up the new PE.
    :idea:

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 10 February 2010 01:03 PM #33

stkstalker - 10 February 2010 04:48 PM

Not sure if this has been noted, but Yahoo Finance has updated AAPL’s PE to 19!

As a side note, I read an article today where the author seemed suprised that AAPL would show up on his screen as a value play along with the likes of GIS or CLX. Looks like there might be some very delayed light bulbs going off now that the filters and screens will start piccking up the new PE.
    :idea:

I wonder if there’s much programmed buying happen strictly due to P/Es (relative to other factors)?

Posted: 10 February 2010 01:15 PM #34

ChasMac77 - 10 February 2010 05:03 PM

I wonder if there’s much programmed buying happen strictly due to P/Es (relative to other factors)?

I think there’s a lot of people who look at the chart for AAPL over the last 3 years and think that 200 is the top, but fail to appreciate the massive revenue growth. By being able to recognise iPhone income as it occurs rather than in a delayed fashion, this has had a dramatic effect on the p/e. While the likes of Cramer have noticed this, it is so fashionable to dismiss him even when he gets it right, that only the smart money has taken note and is allowing the shorts to keep dropping more and more AAPL in their laps at bargain prices. The shorts are so obsessed with what their EW counts are telling them that they fail to realise what a screaming buy AAPL is. Sooner or later the squeeze will begin.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 10 February 2010 01:41 PM #35

I heard on NBC News last night that China has invested heavily in AAPL.  Any thoughts or implications?

Posted: 10 February 2010 01:46 PM #36

firestorm - 10 February 2010 05:41 PM

I heard on NBC News last night that China has invested heavily in AAPL.  Any thoughts or implications?

That’s where most of Apple’s suppliers are. They probably have a good idea how many units are being churned out and can easily work out the growth rate. The Chinese tend to play a “long game” so the short term vagaries of the markets merely offer up buying opportunities in the right stocks.

Anyway, the Chinese need to do something with all the money the West has given them (other than lend it back). Buying solid Western companies seems like a good bet.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 10 February 2010 02:11 PM #37

artman1033 - 10 February 2010 06:02 PM

Current conditions: 1:00PM Eastern   Biggest volume puts and calls listed

<snip>

Artman, I missed the reasons for you starting to post these. I don’t trade options, so perhaps I am missing something. What are we to deduce from this?

EDIT: WE are so on the verge of a breakout. However, the real confirmation will come on a move above 197.5 (yesterday’s high).

[ Edited: 10 February 2010 02:20 PM by wheeles ]

Signature

• Posted: 10 February 2010 02:27 PM #38

Not sure if this has been noted, but Yahoo Finance has updated AAPL’s PE to 19

Yeah, but it continues to list APPL’s cash as 24.80B.  Am I missing something or is that a gross understatement?
    :oh:

Signature

It’s better to miss the boat than to sail on a ship that sinks

Posted: 10 February 2010 02:50 PM #39

Wheeles,

You talk like someone who is very long and is flabbergasted with the price action.  EW becomes your punching bag though there are not many Elliotticians saying AAPL is in a downtrend.  They’re referring to indices.  Some bullish technical signals to appease your soul.  Daily MACD is turning upwards and might be able to cross above the signal line.  Daily volume has been decreasing with price decreases.  So, there a chance that AAPL might make a short-term burst upwards soon.  AAPL has to charge above $200 for any possibility of a breakout above $215.59.  Otherwise, can only be considered as a technical rebounce.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 February 2010 03:14 PM #40

Intrepid - 10 February 2010 06:27 PM

Not sure if this has been noted, but Yahoo Finance has updated AAPL’s PE to 19

Yeah, but it continues to list APPL’s cash as 24.80B.  Am I missing something or is that a gross understatement?
    :oh:

I think AAPL reserved about $14 billion cash for operations, expenses, etc., rather than taking it out of next years cash flow.

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 10 February 2010 03:16 PM #41

Mace - 10 February 2010 06:50 PM

Wheeles,

You talk like someone who is very long and is flabbergasted with the price action.  EW becomes your punching bag though there are not many Elliotticians saying AAPL is in a downtrend.  They’re referring to indices.  Some bullish technical signals to appease your soul.  Daily MACD is turning upwards and might be able to cross above the signal line.  Daily volume has been decreasing with price decreases.  So, there a chance that AAPL might make a short-term burst upwards soon.  AAPL has to charge above $200 for any possibility of a breakout above $215.59.  Otherwise, can only be considered as a technical rebounce.

Only time will tell which one of us is correct. Stick to your Elliott waves, Mace. It’s not as if I care about such hocus pocus. I would rather look at trendlines and look for their imminent breaks. I’m fully aware of what the daily MACD is doing. It’s yet another thing that supports my argument along with AAPL’s fundamentals.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter what happens. You’ll only redo your count so it fits after the fact.

Signature

Posted: 10 February 2010 03:58 PM #42

wheeles - 10 February 2010 07:16 PM

... Only time will tell which one of us is correct ...

Thought I say I don’t know the EW counts since there are too many subdivisions.  So I don’t know how come you can compare who is correct.  What I said in the last post is I presume wave 1 is completed based on price action and is not the same as I manage to count the EW waves.  Btw, whatever said about EW can be said about economists’ forecasting, fundamental analysis, technical analysis, news analysis and what not.  Just replace the relevant words.  Is a waste of time criticizing analysis methodology.  You buy and stock goes up, you make money.  You buy and stock goes down, you lose money.  Is that simple.  Use whatever methodology or risk management approach or whatever u can dream up, it only matters if u feel it helps you make money.  Note the word ‘feel’ because up to today, I don’t know whether it is true that those methodologies actually help one make money.  For the same methodology, some make money and some don’t.  If you feel it helps, then use it.  If you feel it doesn’t, don’t use it.  Is that simple.  My point is there is no point blaming other guys’ or methodologies.  The decision to trade, to buy or sell is your, nobody compel you to do so.  If you lose money this time, tough luck, try harder next time.  If you make money this time, rejoice, continue the hard work.  So wordy, hope you understand what I’m saying.

Signature

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:01 PM #43

artman1033 - 10 February 2010 07:24 PM

... Since I have started posting the intraday prices, I have noticed no trends UPWARD.

If I am able to post them over a period of time, I MAY be able to notice FUTURE trends by reflecting over the past postings ...

Have been waiting for you to come up with some kind of thesis, so disappointed.

Signature

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:33 PM #44

Mace - 10 February 2010 08:01 PM
    artman1033 - 10 February 2010 07:24 PM

... Since I have started posting the intraday prices, I have noticed no trends UPWARD.

If I am able to post them over a period of time, I MAY be able to notice FUTURE trends by reflecting over the past postings ...

Have been waiting for you to come up with some kind of thesis, so disappointed.

My thesis is this: the gubbament has been shut down for three days because of snow.

1) Suddenly everybody in Washington understands why people in the snow belt run around in 4x4s.

2) Nothing has gotten done and I for one, feel good about that.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:57 PM #45

Eric Landstrom,

Care to comment in this thread?  What do you think about capablanca’s view that US could have inflation (devaluation of fiat currency) and recession (economy slowing down, unemployment remains high) at the same time?  The drivers for slowing growth are consumers are deleveraging, babyboomers are retiring and selling stocks, and the aggressive investors (age between 45-55) group is shrinking.  I’m referring to US only.

[ Edited: 10 February 2010 05:02 PM by Mace ]

Signature