AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 11 February 2010 02:15 PM #61

balesfam - 11 February 2010 06:01 PM

I bought the other day at around 192.70, need to buy more. What would be another good entry point. I try to buy the dips, but then you hear don’t try to catch a falling knife. Then you hear don’t chase stocks.
    Should I wait till we break 201 area

If there was a definitive answer then we’d all be rich. Until the game then changed.

Seriously though, it all depends on your time frame and how heavily levered you would be. Personally I think we’ll have a decent run up. Others will differ in their opinions. There’s nothing to stop a piece of news from coming out that blindsides us all.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 11 February 2010 02:24 PM #62

Eric Landstrom - 11 February 2010 03:17 PM

US debt is a safe haven just like Pearl Harbor was a safe haven in 1941[/url]. For those who are not up to speed on Bond historian and economist Niall Ferguson’s gospel of impending doom for sovereign debt, here is an eight minute Bloomberg video from February 5th.

Can someone answer me this: if so many countries have taken on such crushing debt, who are the winners? Are there any winners other than those that made out like bandits in the late 90s and early noughties? Even then they would have to move that money into something safe (whatever that might be). China can’t be the winner as they hold much of the debt and a significant increase in their currency against everything else will only serve to see jobs move elsewhere.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 11 February 2010 03:02 PM #63

TanToday - 11 February 2010 04:09 PM

Here is much of our problem, in a nutshell.

According to a December report from the BLS, state and local government employers spent an average of $39.83 per hour worked ($26.24 for wages and $13.60 for benefits) for total employee compensation in September 2009. Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $27.49 per hour ($19.45 for wages and $8.05 for benefits), see chart above. In other words, government employees make 45% more on average than private sector employees.

How many government employees are paid the minimum wage when compared to the private sector?

Posted: 11 February 2010 03:06 PM #64

lulli - 11 February 2010 07:02 PM

How many government employees are paid the minimum wage when compared to the private sector?

Dunno, but from my experience local and state employees exhibit the attitude of a minimum wage worker.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 11 February 2010 03:32 PM #65

wheeles - 11 February 2010 06:24 PM

Can someone answer me this: if so many countries have taken on such crushing debt, who are the winners?

Three guesses:

Mayer Amschel Rothschild:

Give me control of a nation’s money and I care not who makes the laws.

Baron Nathan Mayer Rothschild:

I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, ...The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 11 February 2010 03:53 PM #66

Tommo_UK - 11 February 2010 05:26 PM
    wheeles - 11 February 2010 04:56 PM
    Tommo_UK - 11 February 2010 04:45 PM

Need to recover and close over $201 to get people interested in a swing as opposed to a day trade IMO

I totally agree. That’s the level above which we only have a few levels of resistance like 205, 210, 213 and 215.

Around 215/216 :drool: .. that’s when we see a run-up to $240 in a flash IMO :drool:

50 SMA is 201.72 currently - a close above that (may be not today though) would cause a short squeeze and increased accumulation which could lead to a new 52 week high in a matter of days. IMHO.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 11 February 2010 08:34 PM #67

Cramer had a big bullish piece on AAPL this evening. He pretty much said what most of us have been saying for days?people have lost sight of the fundamentals of companies like Apple. He also mentioned that in a recent survey public opinion expecting a correction was at its highest level in 27 years. Make of that what you will.

Signature

• Posted: 11 February 2010 11:19 PM #68

Friday

R4         214.56
      midpoint   211.72
    R3       208.87
      midpoint   206.03
    R2       203.18
      midpoint   202.06
    R1       200.93
      midpoint   199.21
    PP       197.49
      midpoint   196.37
    S1       195.24
      midpoint   193.52
    S2       191.80
      midpoint   188.96
    S3       186.11
      midpoint   183.27
    S4       180.42

• Posted: 12 February 2010 12:39 AM #69

wheeles - 12 February 2010 12:34 AM

Cramer had a big bullish piece on AAPL this evening. He pretty much said what most of us have been saying for days?people have lost sight of the fundamentals of companies like Apple. He also mentioned that in a recent survey public opinion expecting a correction was at its highest level in 27 years. Make of that what you will.

Having watched the manipulations of AAPL in the past 2+ years and the mood swings in response to AAPL going down one week and going up the next, I can’t help but come up with the following diagnosis: Bipolar (Manic depressive) disorder smile

Cramer has been treated on this board with disdain on many an occasion when he is bearish on AAPL, but somehow, he is being cheered when he is bullish. I don’t get it.

• Posted: 12 February 2010 01:02 AM #70

There’s a little “fair-weather fan” I’ll admit to here.  I think Cramer does reasonably well in the “big picture” of WS sentiment and trends.  He loses credibility with his mixed track record on specific stocks, although he is tough to evaluate.  He has favorites too, including Steve Ballmer, who Cramer applauded recently as “doing a good job.”  Give me a break!

He’s right about Apple though…

Posted: 12 February 2010 09:26 AM #71

Needham upgrades AAPL from 235 to 280.

Signature

• Posted: 12 February 2010 11:32 AM #72

wheeles - 12 February 2010 01:26 PM

When these price targets are set by analysts, what is the time frame they are talking about? Is it one year from now?

• Posted: 12 February 2010 11:41 AM #73

sirozha - 12 February 2010 03:32 PM
    wheeles - 12 February 2010 01:26 PM

When these price targets are set by analysts, what is the time frame they are talking about? Is it one year from now?

Yes, usually it is a 12 month target price.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 12 February 2010 11:43 AM #74

How come RIMM is up over 1% after an upgrade, and AAPL is down 1% after an upgrade. Yeah, WS that really makes sense, doesn’t it!!

Signature

Posted: 12 February 2010 11:50 AM #75

The sponge is patiently waiting for 180 to buy back. :-D

I don’t see aapl going anywhere until we see the long lines for the iPad.