new boot up drive

• Posted: 12 February 2010 02:45 PM

I have a 300 Gb boot up drive, which is getting pretty full with applications and library stuff.

I would like to replace it with a 1Tb.

How do I transfer the OS and all the Apps to the new drive?

Posted: 12 February 2010 08:26 PM #1

Two ways:

Do a full time machine backup to an external drive and then restore to the new drive once it is installed, or take the old drive out and put it in an external case and transfer from that. The install DVD allows you to do that.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 17 February 2010 12:30 PM #2

There’s another option to do this, that might actually be easier/faster than using TM. Carbon Copy Cloner will allow you to image your entire drive over to your new drive, assuming you can connect it externally. The program is free, and is also a great way to keep backups of your drive on top of what TM offers you.

• Posted: 17 February 2010 01:10 PM #3

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great tool.

Also, I often just boot from any compatible install CD/DVD, open Disk Utility (from the Utilities menu) and clone it that way. You can either do it drive-to-drive if they are both connected, or make a backup to an image on an external, then restore it after you’ve installed the new internal drive.

Posted: 18 February 2010 09:14 PM #4

I second Carbon Copy Cloner.  It is great and the price is right (free).  SuperDuper! is also a great option for cloning a drive.

Signature

A just war is in the long run far better for a nation’s soul than the most prosperous peace obtained by acquiescence in wrong or injustice.-  Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (1858 - 1919)