Financial Software Advice

Posted: 15 February 2010 05:15 PM

We have a copy of Quicken 2003 and it seems like it’s probably time to update. I hadn’t been paying attention and so was shocked to discover that it appears that Intuit no longer makes products for Macintosh. I’ve looked all over Intuit.ca and everything I checked was Windows.

So the question is what else would you recommend? I have ~10 years of Quicken data (Q’03 is the second copy of Quicken that we’ve owned) and ideally would want to import that. We don’t do any stock trading or portfolio management with it. This is just for accounts, expenses, and balances.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 15 February 2010 07:33 PM #1

Actually they are about to release a new version for the mac.  I have been running it on windows with vm ware.  I have the 07 version and they are making me upgrade or they won’t support downloading from financial institutions.  FIST SHAKE
    I really don’t know if there is anything else worth getting.  I’m debating about whether to keep it on the windows side or switch over.  Besides a few educational things my kids run, that’s the only thing I use windows for.  It would be nice to get rid of it.

Posted: 16 February 2010 05:10 PM #2

I’ve seen Quicken Essentials for the Mac, which ships on 2/25. It’s a vast improvement over previous versions. Intuit’s acquisition of Mint.com has meant wonders for Quicken on the Mac…they’ve incorporated a ton of Mint’s features into Quicken. They’ve also written the entire interface to be more “Mac-like.”

I’m not sure if there’s going to be a trial version of Quicken Essentials for Mac, but if there is…I’d give that a try.

Posted: 16 February 2010 06:09 PM #3

I appreciate the help.
    I don’t know why I couldn’t find Quicken Essentials for Mac on their site. The link you included took me right to it though.  I wrote to them and Quicken Customer Service wrote back this morning saying that it would be out next week and I will be able to buy it in Canada.

Thanks again.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 17 February 2010 10:24 AM #4

Good idea about the trial-that certainly would be nice if they offered one.  I do know that if you go from a windows to mac version, you can import your accounts-checking, credit cards, etc., but the memorized payee list and some other things I read won’t transfer over.  That could be a pain, but it would also be a way to get rid of some old ones. ;\

[ Edited: 17 February 2010 10:28 AM by brokentry ]