What coming soon book will you be reading?

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:16 PM

Fortune’s PED is reporting that Walter Isaacson is going to do a biography of Steve Jobs - wait for it- ... WITH Steve’s help!
    I am into his book on Benjamin Franklin and like it. I will certainly buy this book when it comes out!

[ Edited: 16 February 2010 01:36 PM by stkstalker ]

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

• Posted: 16 February 2010 12:24 PM #1

stkstalker - 16 February 2010 04:16 PM

Fortune’s PED is reporting that Walter Isaacson is going to do a biography of Steve Jobs - wait for it- ... WITH Steve’s help!
    I am into his book on Benjamin Franklin and like it. I will certainly buy this book when it comes out!

Surely you mean :  “I’ll download the iBook on my iPad !”  : )

Posted: 16 February 2010 01:47 PM #2

Gtrplyr - 16 February 2010 04:24 PM

Surely you mean :  “I’ll download the iBook on my iPad !”  : )

I have not made up my mind. I have the iPhone and the iMac, but I am not sure whether the iPad, the MacBook or rev 4 iPhone is my next purchase. So, probably no purchase for me until mid-summer.

Btw - I like the tactile nature of books, so this is a hard decision. By the time the bio comes out, it may be a ‘soft’ copy.

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 17 February 2010 03:26 AM #3

Sure, I’m a SJ worshipper.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 17 February 2010 07:50 AM #4

‘‘with Steve Jobs help’’ . Maybe it will be ideal for the iPad with pics, videos,interviews, maps etc to show off what an advantage the device has over hard bound books.

Posted: 17 February 2010 08:55 AM #5

Before I get ripped apart by the worshipers I will go on record as saying I think SJ is one of the all-time great CEO’s. Now to the biography part, his life has already been documented and written about in magazines. Do you really need to know what kind of tofu he eats? He is an obsessed billionaire workaholic with a dictator style of management. If I were to guess, I would say he works 16 hour days. He is also a vegan. There is the condensed short story. He may be able to sell millions of ipods, but only the worshipers will buy a book about him. :apple:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 18 February 2010 12:07 AM #6

mbeauch - 17 February 2010 12:55 PM

He may be able to sell millions of ipods, but only the worshipers will buy a book about him. :apple:

I disagree. I’m intrigued by the manner in which he views the world and how he goes about determining when to move forward with calculated risks. The book might contain more pages of content that I find less interesting than the pages I’ll consider interesting in terms of the information I desire to glean, but if it comes in ebook form (a near certainty), I’ll buy it, read on my iPad and store it for reference.

Posted: 18 February 2010 12:35 AM #7

DawnTreader - 18 February 2010 04:07 AM
    mbeauch - 17 February 2010 12:55 PM

He may be able to sell millions of ipods, but only the worshipers will buy a book about him. :apple:

I disagree. I’m intrigued by the manner in which he views the world and how he goes about determining when to move forward with calculated risks. The book might contain more pages of content that I find less interesting than the pages I’ll consider interesting in terms of the information I desire to glean, but if it comes in ebook form (a near certainty), I’ll buy it, read on my iPad and store it for reference.

Fortune magazine recently named him CEO of the decade. The story was around 25 pages and covered pretty much his whole tenure with Apple. Anything more than the Fortune article would just be filler to put out a book. :apple:

Quite surprised I have not taken more flack over this. LOL

Signature

Posted: 18 February 2010 02:40 AM #8

mbeauch - 18 February 2010 04:35 AM

... Quite surprised I have not taken more flack over this. LOL

I’m probably the only SJ worshipper.  AFBers are either Mac fans, Apple fanboys or Apple investors/traders.  The book probably repeats much content of other books on SJ/Apple.  Is ok.  Each author has his own style of describing the same event, so it won’t sound identical.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 18 February 2010 05:52 AM #9

Long time ago i have read the book about John Sculley. It will be quite interesting to look now at those times through the eyes of Steve Jobs, so this will be certainly one of my first books on my iPad tongue laugh

Posted: 18 February 2010 06:29 AM #10

Elmar - 18 February 2010 09:52 AM

...this will be certainly one of my first books on my iPad tongue laugh

Anyone prepared to comment on whether this book will be iPad only or free with every iPad? Funny how Jobs agrees to a biography now that Apple has a platform which can be promoted with it.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 18 February 2010 07:11 AM #11

mbeauch - 18 February 2010 04:35 AM

Quite surprised I have not taken more flack over this. LOL

Well, you only expressed what everyone says about him, so it’s uncontroversial. But I don’t actually agree :wink: .

1. Apple has recently been changing the lives of millions with delightful gadgets. But for SJ it’s taken a lifetime. I think this provokes curiosity as to how it happened.  If the book has good reviews and is approved by SJ, it will be a best seller.

2. Not that I’ve ever worked for him,  “obsessed .. workaholic with a dictator style of management” seems to me an unhelpful misrepresentation, based on the presumption that organisations are controlled purely by a top down directive hierarchy driven by a protestant work ethic. SJ is all about arranging the scenery so that something interesting will happen. If you don’t fit the picture, you’re not in it; he’s not going to “manage” you to fit in - it’s not what he does. But if you do fit the picture, I don’t see him as being dictatorial at all; you can have huge influence. In any case, on occasion, “being a jerk” is the right thing to do. (I can think of occasions in my life when I should have had more courage to be a jerk.)

3. Where’s the evidence that he’s a workaholic?

• Posted: 18 February 2010 10:01 PM #12

I’ve read three biographies of SJ, the latest “Steve’s Brain” by Kahlen.  If one is investing a substantial portion of one’s savings in a single company it behooves one to read as much as possible.

In my judgment he is strongly motivated by achievement, but not “workaholic”.  He does not suffer fools, but does listen to those who have earned his respect.  He drives people hard.  He adapts.  He is loyal.  He can be inconsiderate and rude.  He thinks big.  He appreciates beauty.  He loves his family.

He is complicated.  Genius often is.

Posted: 18 February 2010 10:54 PM #13

capablanca - 19 February 2010 02:01 AM

I’ve read three biographies of SJ, the latest “Steve’s Brain” by Kahlen.  If one is investing a substantial portion of one’s savings in a single company it behooves one to read as much as possible.

In my judgment he is strongly motivated by achievement, but not “workaholic”.  He does not suffer fools, but does listen to those who have earned his respect.  He drives people hard.  He adapts.  He is loyal.  He can be inconsiderate and rude.  He thinks big.  He appreciates beauty.  He loves his family.

He is complicated.  Genius often is.

Just to add a little clarification, to me Apple is SJ’s company and it got to where it is because of him. If the man in charge is the one with the direction, then his style can be OK. In the corporate world, sometimes being a dictator is the only way a company culture works. He is extremely motivated to prove himself. I remember him talking about how the company was run in his absence, it was not positive.

Signature