Apple Sues HTC

Posted: 04 March 2010 06:58 PM #31

Stevie, you screwed up trusting this fellow, BIG TIME, call it Scullyitis II.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 04 March 2010 07:02 PM #32

Che Bosco - 04 March 2010 10:01 PM

Right. If 8% market share is success, you’re absolutely right rattyuk!

Why the infatuation with market share only?  It’s obviously part of the story, but how about these numbers?  If this is what “only” 8% market share gets you, I’ll take it.

Apple grabs 32 percent of smartphone profits
    According to Bernstein Research analyst Toni Sacconaghi, who was quoted in an AllThingsD post, Apple managed to take 32 percent of the overall profits for the smartphone market. Sacconaghi also said in a research note to clients that Apple achieved that percentage of profit while only accounting for 8 percent of the industry’s revenue, according to the report.

• Posted: 05 March 2010 12:04 AM #33

TanToday - 04 March 2010 10:58 PM

Stevie, you screwed up trusting this fellow, BIG TIME, call it Scullyitis II.

I looked this up on Bing.  Searching the word “inscrutable” gives you Eric “The Snake” Schmidt.

• Posted: 05 March 2010 12:04 AM #34

Che Bosco - 04 March 2010 10:01 PM

Right. If 8% market share is success, you’re absolutely right rattyuk!

As pointed out above you are shooting at the wrong target bosco. Yes, 8% share doesn’t sound much. The profit margin however…

Whatever you think. I await your appointment to the Apple board and your genius ideas taking Steve’s position. You know how to fix a company that is firing on all cylinders and actually doing really well.

It ain’t broke. It doesn’t require fixing.

Just because it doesn’t do what you want it to do doesn’t mean it is wrong.

How many companies have you taken from 4 Billion to 40 Billion in the bank then?

Signature

• Posted: 05 March 2010 06:20 AM #35

Is Verizon’s network actually up to handling more Androids than AT&T has iPhones?
    The app store policing, the new data centre, and no iPhone on VZ show that Apple is still working to define the future, not to maximise current market share. I like that.

Perhaps Feb 2010 is going to be the sweetest moment in Android’s life. Just copied the iPhone near enough perfectly. Plenty of network capacity for the early adopters on non-iPhone networks. 60000 a day shipping. Lots of enthusiastic geeky early adopters. But their pretty ranch appears to have no stock fences. They don’t have control of the deployed hardware. A couple of years down the road, I suspect Google won’t be able to prevent a lot of messiness, inability to move the installed base forwards, and insoluble handset network, software and security issues. A repeat of the Windows XP story for Microsoft.

Then there’s the Apple lawsuits.

Posted: 05 March 2010 04:31 PM #36

daemon - 04 March 2010 06:25 PM

1 The law is the law, not what the public sense of justice is.And don?t forget it took the brilliant legal minds at Apple almost two years to shut down 8 retards in Florida. They will be toiling against HTC for years. By the time it is settled, I safely predict that HTC will be selling more Android phones per year than Apple sells iPhones per year.

What exactly do you think a jury is?

I was not arguing that Apple had a slam dunk here. Only that from following their corporate culture I believe that they will pursue this lawsuit very aggressively and pay whatever consequences there are to be paid.  They don’t tend to do things 1/2 way.

* Juries. Yes, Apple is now a big bad wolf, not an underdog to be rooted for. And that will tend to work against them in both public opinion and in court. But I think that if the law is clear and HTC violated it, that won’t save them. OJ Simpson notwithstanding, sympathy may work with close calls, but juries to tend to like to call things pretty fairly by the rules. I don’t think that HTC can bank on jury nullification.

* Psystar. So Apple took 2 years and a few 10’s of millions of bucks to shut down some clowns. Yes expensive overkill. But I doubt that anyone is thinking of trying to produce any Mac Clones in the near future.

In the same way, after HTC when any manufacturer wants to catch up with I-phone, they won’t simply go to their software engineers and say- “Here’s an I-Phone. Please reverse engineer it so we can incorporate its features into our next phone. If the lawsuit causes a slowdown in implementation of I phone like features and production of new models of phones, that will be an invisible benefit to Apple of the lawsuit. Not saying it will be good for the public, but to Apple.

*  Another interesting aspect of patent law
    (on which I have NO personal expertise). This is a hypothetical, but not implausible.  Let’s assume that Apple has valid patents. Let’s assume that those patents would effectively stop there being any effective competition in the smart phone market. Is there anything in patent law that prevents a patent from being enforced simply because it is not in the public interest for there to me no competition. My instinct would be that this occurs but is justified indirectly, but not on principle. I would be interested if anyone had any knowledge on this matter. (If someone wants to say I’m contradicting what I said about juries, consistency is the hoggoblin of little minds).

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 06 March 2010 11:13 AM #37

APPLE vs HTC, Forget the Android Claims, IT IS REALLY ABOUT GOOGLE CHROME OS

[ Edited: 06 March 2010 11:20 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 08 March 2010 04:19 PM #38

Speaking of Droid phones, ASYMCO Blog has this nugget today.

The number one downloaded app in the Droid app store is ?Advanced Task Killer? an app you must use dozens of times a day to kill apps that are slowing down your phone.

BTW: ASYMCO blog is excellent and he is a member of our board.

[ Edited: 08 March 2010 09:05 PM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 08 March 2010 09:00 PM #39

I’ve heard about the task-quitting app before. 

Need to _constantly_ use an app to keep your phone from collapsing under the weight of its multiple running third-party apps?  Well…Droid does.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:19 PM #40

Apple warned handset makers before suing HTC

“Apple’s suit against HTC for patent violation didn’t appear out of the blue, according to an analyst report Tuesday.

In January, Apple began approaching the executives of competing handset makers and warning them it planned to take legal action against those that infringed on technology related to the iPhone, Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner wrote in a research note, first reported by Fortune. Reiner says he learned this by doing “checks” with his industry sources, and found out that Apple’s warnings actually appear to have derailed the development plans of future iPhone competitors, though he doesn’t specifically name which ones.

But it clearly didn’t include HTC, the Taiwanese handset maker that Apple sued last week over 20 iPhone-related patents.”

“At the time Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement, “We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We’ve decided to do something about it.” But Apple had actually put its competitors on notice over a year earlier. That was when COO Tim Cook, filling in for Jobs on medical leave, bluntly said on an earnings call, “We will not stand for having our IP ripped off,” and declared the company would use “every weapon at out disposal” to prevent it. At the time he declined to name a specific company, though it was widely interpreted to be directed at Palm’s new Pre, which was designed by former Apple engineers hired by Palm.

Turns out, it was intended more broadly, according to Reiner’s industry sources. Apple’s warning reverberated through the executives suites at many competing smartphone manufacturers. “Rival software and hardware teams are going back to the drawing board to look for work-arounds. Lawyers are redoubling efforts to gauge potential defensive and offensive responses. And strategy teams are working to chart OS strategies that are better hedged”

“The result was that some of the iPhone’s closest competitors stayed away from features like multitouch for most of the year, that is until the Motorola Droid and HTC Eris arrived. Both phones featured multitouch software, and Google’s Android OS. The Nexus One, also from HTC, and featuring multitouch, then arrived in January, which was apparently when Apple began approaching other companies about patent infringement.”

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20000189-260.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

more here:
    http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/analyst_apples_lawsuit_against_htc_a_warning_shot_to_would-be_iphone_killer/

Apples legal move seems to have put a cat among the android pigeons . . . i suspect there are more than a few nervous handset makers.

• Posted: 10 March 2010 11:00 PM #41

artman1033 - 11 March 2010 02:06 AM

JONATHAN SCHWARTZ does not like Apple’s chances.

162 responses to his blogpost…..90% AGREE WITH HIM.

There is A VERY DISTURBING video with a young Steve Jobs in the comments section.

IS IT TRUE?

Yup, he was quoting Picasso though.

Signature

• Posted: 11 March 2010 05:10 AM #42

At first it seemed that Apple had “chosen” HTC as the easiest opponent to tackle. But the more I read about this, the more it seems that with Google’s help, the big players effectively pushed HTC forward as sacrificial test case, that Google steered HTC into rather detailed cloning of iPhone then flushed Apple out by Google-branding a batch of HTC phones.

Nokia wanted fast-track cross-licensing by demanding punitive discriminatory rates for their industry standard network patents. Their problem is, this is very likely illegal market manipulation, and it’s presumably easy for the courts to simply direct that Nokia charge a comparable price to Apple as to other manufacturers leaving Nokia with a weak patent portfolio against iPhone. The Nokia case doesn’t resolve the industry’s problem with Apple’s patents. So they need the HTC case too.

• Posted: 11 March 2010 05:41 AM #43

artman1033 - 11 March 2010 02:06 AM

JONATHAN SCHWARTZ does not like Apple’s chances.

162 responses to his blogpost…..90% AGREE WITH HIM.

There is A VERY DISTURBING video with a young Steve Jobs in the comments section.

IS IT TRUE?

Ideas are not a form of property, and cannot be patented. Of course you can “steal” them. But you can’t simply copy someone’s implementation of an idea, which they can patent. Picasso’s point presumably being that to be great you have to take the entire idea and embody it deep in your work, not just copy someone else’s work.

So - everyone’s welcome to “steal” the idea of a touchscreen phone that you operate with your fingers. Or of a music store. Or an App store. But they can’t just copy the specific patented ways Apple puts them together.

In fact, there should be a real advantage to being second, and being forced to do it differently to iPhone - you get the opportunity to identify and correct fundamental problems with the pioneer’s product, and leave out things which turned out not to be important. And you get to patent your methods. Ten years ago, Google did exactly that with search engines.

Posted: 11 March 2010 08:44 AM #44

Sleepygeek, the way you distill complex,polluted issues into crystal clear, unbiased rational prose is truly beautiful.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 12 March 2010 08:22 PM #45

SIX DELUSIONS of GOOGLES ARROGANT LEADERS….CLICK HERE

Signature