New MBP on the horizon?

Posted: 04 March 2010 06:25 AM

The current MacBook Pro has been around for a solid 8 months now. The current model isn’t much more than a faster version of the 2008 model, with a couple of changes (battery, SD slot).

Seems overdue for a refresh. What do you think?

Posted: 04 March 2010 07:00 AM #1

I’m thinking the Apple machine is completely consumed with iPad, iPhone SDK 4, and iWork ‘10/MobileMe.  I expect iWork ‘10 to drop the Tuesday (if not sooner) before the iPad goes on sale, along with an “upgrade” to MobileMe. Apple needs to clear the path for whatever cloud-based system they’ll be using to run iWork BEFORE the iPad. I’m kinda surprised it didn’t happen in Feb.

While I say the *machine* is consumed with the above items, they are not the hardware folks, who are probably just cooling their jets until the iPad hype dies down.  I’d expect to see a MB/MBP refresh in April to align with the run-up to high school graduations and college pre-buying season (i.e. what laptop will you require your entering freshmen to use? Oh look, a brand new refresh from Apple, let’s require that!)

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 04 March 2010 09:43 AM #2

MaxW - 04 March 2010 10:25 AM

The current MacBook Pro has been around for a solid 8 months now. The current model isn’t much more than a faster version of the 2008 model, with a couple of changes (battery, SD slot).

Seems overdue for a refresh. What do you think?

I am expecting an upgrade soon. All the key components are ramping production.  New GPU, new Mobile i5 and 17 from Intel so I would expect a 2010 model by the end of the month if not sooner.  Anadtech had an article on the new ION which is the follow on to the 9400M GPU used in most of the current mobiles

[ Edited: 04 March 2010 09:46 AM by pats ]      

Posted: 17 March 2010 10:29 AM #3

New MacBook Pro, Air and Mac Pro pricing potentially leaked by Apple ads

“Could this be another example of online advertising presaging the onset of a hardware upgrade from Cupertino? Apple’s ads on Australian tech pub PC Authority have been spotted displaying some rather peculiar price tags for its flagship mobile and desktop computers. Whereas Cupertino’s Aussie online store lists the most affordable versions of the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Pro at A$1,599, A$1,999 and A$3,599, respectively, the above, official-looking ads would seem to disagree. Clicking on them still leads to the currently priced (and specced) machines, but looking at them suggests that—in the absence of some major conspiracy or a splendidly random price hike—we’re getting an early peek at the pricing of the newly updated models of each of those series. The MacBook Air has jumped by A$400 so that what used to be its costliest base price is now its lowest, while the MBP has suffered a A$300 bump in cost of entry. Then again, considering the expectation that the mobile computers will get Core i7 CPUs while the Mac Pro will get all dressed up with Core i7-980X regalia, this development is perhaps not all that surprising. The major thing to take away here is that the long-awaited upgrades might finally be arriving. We’re putting our piggy banks on alert, just in case.”

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/new-macbook-pro-air-and-mac-pro-pricing-potentially-leaked-by-a/

• Posted: 17 March 2010 02:50 PM #4

Isn’t there some sort of lawsuit between Intel and nVidia over use of nVidia motherboard/chipsets with the Core i3/i5/i7 processors. I thought Apple swithced to using an nVidia motherboard/chipset and so that may be the reason for the delay.

Posted: 17 March 2010 05:04 PM #5

dave256 - 17 March 2010 05:50 PM

Isn’t there some sort of lawsuit between Intel and nVidia over use of nVidia motherboard/chipsets with the Core i3/i5/i7 processors. I thought Apple swithced to using an nVidia motherboard/chipset and so that may be the reason for the delay.

NVidia can still provide GPUs for Intel CPU as a discrete component.  The issue with arrandale is Intel combine 3 chips into two and in the process moved some of the functions.

Nvidia does not have access to the DMI based on the lawsuit.  They can provide a discrete GPU via the PCIe and then use the Optimus technology to auto switch.  This would require some work on Apple’s part so we will have to wait and see.  Obviously a discrete GPU will drive up the BOM of the systems that currently rely on an integrated GPU and the performance of the Intel iGPU is close to the 9400M from last year.