HFT: Wanna buy your Apple from Dell?

• Posted: 30 October 2002 11:55 AM

That’s right, Dell is going to start selling Apples.  Actually Apple Ipods to be exact.  Granted, they are going to only sell the winDOZE version, but this is a GREAT move for apple to gain some market share in the PDA market!  With the move into Best Buy, Target and now Dell, this should be a big homerun for Apple.  What do you think?

Posted: 30 October 2002 12:20 PM #1

I think it’s interesting.

Definiately a good idea for Apple, to get the iPod out there, and selling even more product.  Of course, as was said in our IRC discussion of the topic (oh come and join!), it’ll just be a comparison of beautiful form vs. uuuuugly.  Is it possible for the iPod and Dell deal to push Dell customers toward a Mac?  Probably not.  However, it’s great exposure, and a great way to more even more product.

Selling the iPod and Target is definitely a good deal, in that you’re upping the visibility of the iPod exponentially.  Not only that, but since Target is trying to change their image to being more “hip,” the iPod is a good addition to their stock.  I think people will stop and look, and some will buy.  I’ll have to cruise Target to see, now that I work near one.

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 30 October 2002 02:11 PM #2

I think this is huge development for Apple. I can see Dell selling 100,000 units per quarter, maybe more, and that’s serious money for Apple.

Praise be for Dell’s willingness to not let bitter words between the companies’ CEOs get in the way of making money.  :D

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 30 October 2002 02:15 PM #3

Let me put it this way, I’m more surprised that Mike Dell agreed to carry the iPods than Steve Jobs was willing to have them carry it. Mike has made a fair bit of ink by slamming Apple in the past, so carrying the iPod is almost an admission of “Ok, Apple does make a decent product”. Steve’s only negative comment to my mind has been to compare Dell to Walmart, if you can call comparing one successful company to another successful company an insult. =,

Still…

“Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!”

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 30 October 2002 02:23 PM #4

Jon wins today’s Ghostbusters secret quote contest!  :D

Ahh, I love Bill Murray…

<moves back on topic>

I also think that this shows that Dell is slipping.  Can’t build their own, so they literally go to the “enemy” to get something to boost their own sales. Hmmm…buy back stock much?

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

• Posted: 30 October 2002 02:44 PM #5

Dude - You’re gettin an iPod. *nm*

*nm*

• Posted: 30 October 2002 03:15 PM #6

benefits are happening already

Looks like Apple is already seeing the benefit from this deal

AAPL closing at 15.98, up .54 (+3.50%)

a 9-week high is a good indicator that this is going to be a huge success for Apple.

• Posted: 30 October 2002 03:22 PM #7

Heck, yeah!

Well, since Dell and Apple are the only two computer companies making any cash, it does make since. Dell really is like WalMart. They’ll sell anything.

It won’t be long until you see Dell Kleenex Box coozies.

• Posted: 30 October 2002 06:43 PM #8

Re: Heck, yeah!

[quote author=“Anonymous”]It won’t be long until you see Dell Kleenex Box coozies.

Isn’t that what their Pentium 4 boxes are for?

grin

• Posted: 30 October 2002 08:04 PM #9

Yeah… BUT…

Can you even picture a nice snow-colored ipod sitting next to one of those hidoeusly square beige boxes that Dell churns out?  Sort of like hanging a mona-lisa in your tree-house - it offends on several levels.  But then again, if most people you know live in a tree-house, maybe they won’t notice….

Jay

• Posted: 30 October 2002 08:20 PM #10

Why should Dell send its customers to the Apple site to purchase a Windows iPod?

This does something for Dell as well as for Apple.

• Posted: 31 October 2002 04:44 AM #11

Steve comparing Dell to Wal-Mart

So, in a way, it’s like Apple bagged Target and Wal-Mart on the same day…

Posted: 31 October 2002 08:28 AM #12

Re: Steve comparing Dell to Wal-Mart

[quote author=“Follower”]So, in a way, it’s like Apple bagged Target and Wal-Mart on the same day…

Actually, it’s better than WalMart. It’s been pointed out already that WalMart tends to appeal to a much lower income bracket than Target does.  That makes the premium-priced iPod less lkely to sell compared to competing MP3 devices. Since Dell sells to a wider market than just the bargain boxes advertised on TV, they have access to a much more willing customer base.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 31 October 2002 10:03 AM #13

Re: Yeah… BUT…

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Can you even picture a nice snow-colored ipod sitting next to one of those hidoeusly square beige boxes that Dell churns out?

Actually, DELL haven’t shipped beige boxes for some time. They’re quite attractive black or black/silver ones now.

But the design of the box doesn’t matter - it’s what’s inside that counts.  :D

Signature

Dick
    Cymru am byth

• Posted: 31 October 2002 10:17 AM #14

[quote author=“jinkies”]...but since Target is trying to change their image to being more “hip,”...

Honey, Target has always been hip! Why, half my wardrobe comes from Luh-tell-ee-ay Tar-jhay!

Heh, heh, Jack at ATAT asks, “Why do you think they call them iPods, anyway? Can a Kevin McCarthy Switch ad be far behind?

• Posted: 31 October 2002 02:19 PM #15

Re: Yeah… BUT…

[quote author=“dwallin”]Actually, DELL haven’t shipped beige boxes for some time. They’re quite attractive black or black/silver ones now.

Maybe they got that idea from NeXT. NeXT computers were beautiful. And black. Dells aren’t beautiful. Hey, maybe Dell also used NeXT as a source of inspiration for their logo…

NeXT
    DELL (e tipped back)

The lowercase e in NeXT, and the slanted e in Dell, both stand for exciting, educational, blah blah blah… or something.