17” iMac WILL NOT BOOT. (many strategies tried and failue is the only result)

Posted: 05 March 2010 10:11 PM

Hello fellow mac geeks:

My friend asked me to fix his 17” intel iMac and I’ve tried and failed too many times to count. so I’m turning to you to give me a hand. I will provide what steps I’ve tried in list form as to make it easyer to read and see if there is anything i have missed.

-Attempt to boot iMac using its internal DVD drive with a copy of OSX 10.6….....gets to grey screen with apple logo, no spinning wheel
    -Attempt to boot iMac using its internal HDD…..... Gets a grey folder with a question mark.
    -Attempt to mount it on another mac using Target Disk mode….........disk mounts but after about 20seconds becomes un-responcive and the firewire logo tears and stops moving.
    -Attempt to boot from ANOTHER macs HDD using TGM on that mac and using OPTION to pick it as the boot device…......gets to grey screen with apple logo, no spinning wheel
    -Attempt to boot from a DVD in anther macs DVD drive accessed through TGM….....grey screen with apple logo and no spinning whee
    -Attempt to boot in Single user mode (Command+S)..........i get two paragraphs of text the last line of which says that apple loaded the CPUmanagement bundle and it never advances.. just stays like that forever
    l

-also tried clearing PVRAM, same result

-can anyone help me!?

Signature

A questioning servant is more dangerous than a ignorant Foe

Posted: 06 March 2010 01:17 AM #1

Have you tried the Apple Hardware test on the install dvd. It might be able to tell you if anything is wrong with the hardware. I’ve done this before on my G5 iMac running 10.4. One day it got to the gray screen and hung there every time. Tried starting from an external FW HD and the install dvd, no dice. Inserted the install dvd and started the computer while holding the “option” key to bring up the Hardware test. Ran the hardware test (5-15 minutes lol, mine took 1hr and 37 min) and everything checked out. Turned on the external HD and started from dvd again while holding down “option” key. Hardware test showed up again along with external HD. Skipped hardware test and selected external HD to restart. It worked, my computer booted from external HD! Ran Disk Utility on internal HD and it came back with volume header needed fixing. Fixed it and everything has been working fine since.

Don’t know if this is included on 10.6 dvd. Good Luck!! smile

Posted: 06 March 2010 03:16 AM #2

I’ve tried getting to the hardware test also, but unfortunately the machine cannot boot far enough to actually get into the hardware test… it just goes grey and stays there forever

Signature

Posted: 06 March 2010 12:22 PM #3

Sounds like the brain fried. i.e CPU failure.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 07 March 2010 06:48 AM #4

how much do you reckon a replacement motherboard would run me from the apple repair shop?

Signature