iPad Pre-Orders/Post Your Numbers

• Posted: 09 March 2010 10:56 AM

starting friday 12th Apple accepts preorders and reservations for iPad on the online store and in the brick and mortar stores. There might be some info relating to the public interest and the number of reservations for the iPad. Could this have some impact on AAPL next week?

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 11:45 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 09 March 2010 11:25 AM #1

Hamourabi - 09 March 2010 02:56 PM

starting friday 12th Apple accepts preorders and reservations for iPad on the online store and in the brick and mortar stores. There might be some info relating to the public interest and the number of reservations for the iPad. Could this have some impact on AAPL next week?

It could if Apple even gave the slightest hint as to how the pre-orders are going ... which they won’t.

So , maybe we could start our own “less than scientific” survey by using order numbers ?

Posted: 09 March 2010 11:48 AM #2

Hamourabi - 09 March 2010 02:56 PM

I’m going in for 2 on day one, orders.

Both will be 32G WiFi only.

Then I will sell one, on eBay immediately, the SECOND I get the confirmation. That way, unit #2 should book me a profit of $75 {estimated} to apply towards a 32G 3G/WiFi, coming out about a month after.

I will then give UNIT A, to 82 year old Mom, and see if she can figure it out, and likes it, then to son to play with it for a few days {19}, and then to basically computer illiterate wife {60} does the same.

That will give me personal demographic feedback on four user group types {i know, not nearly nuff to get meaningful data } BUT, nevertheless, that will give me initial impressions on…

1: The Old Timers who have had trouble getting the hang of complicated keyboard computing.

2: Gamers

3: Secondary incidental household use, reading, light surfing.

4: Me, technogeek businessman, with a lot of other computers.

I figure that by the end of two weeks, I will have gathered enough FIRSTHAND information, to make a relatively sane judgement call about the ability of the iPad to expand into NEW UNSERVED OR UNDERSERVED demographic units so far on OS X products.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 09 March 2010 11:54 AM #3

tan

you forgot to mention that based on your small study you will determine how much more aapl stock to buy. :-D

I think aapl will announce 2 million pre-orders on March 22 unless they realize there will be a two week backlog in delivering the coolest gadget on the planet come April 3.

Posted: 10 March 2010 06:53 AM #4

Preordering one. Can’t yet decide to get base model with the intent to upgrade in a year (passing the 16gb to my bride), or go for the gusto and get the 64gb. I think the sweet spot is going to be 32gb, so I’m intentionally avoiding that one in my thinking so as to avoid any delays.  Wife says she does not want one, but will play with mine and decide.

So, do I limit myself to a couple movies and do primarily surfing, or go big, load up everything, and transfer my email over to the cloud for real?

The iPad still doesn’t have Dvorak keyboard.  Unbelievable.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 10 March 2010 08:29 AM #5

Preordering four.  If I wasn’t worried about how much money I was dropping I’d buy more, cause everybody I know wants one badly.

Posted: 10 March 2010 09:28 AM #6

rezonate - 10 March 2010 10:53 AM

The iPad still doesn’t have Dvorak keyboard.  Unbelievable.

Send in a request to Apple.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 10 March 2010 09:31 AM #7

Ordering two.  WiFi version 16GB and 64GB.  No need for the 3D version, as I have a 4G hotspot.  And the LAST thing I’m interested in is a another payment to ATT

• Posted: 10 March 2010 09:39 AM #8

Mercel - 10 March 2010 01:31 PM

Ordering two.  WiFi version 16GB and 64GB.  No need for the 3D version, as I have a 4G hotspot.  And the LAST thing I’m interested in is a another payment to ATT

3D? Apple kept that quiet.

Signature

• Posted: 10 March 2010 09:44 AM #9

Thinking of buying 10 on first day as I will be leaving for Honk Kong the next week for the electronics show. Planning on trading one for an unlocked iPhone and hoping to sell the rest for a profit to one of the many electronics stores or possible one or more of the show attendees or companies exhibiting. Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated, especially if you live on HKG. Thanks George

• Posted: 10 March 2010 10:07 AM #10

Guess I will need a US address if I want to preorder or…?

Do you think I will be able to buy one if I just show up in NY beginning of April?

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 10 March 2010 10:54 AM #11

rattyuk - 10 March 2010 01:39 PM
    Mercel - 10 March 2010 01:31 PM

3D? Apple kept that quiet.

Limited edition…don’t ask, don’t tell.  :-D

• Posted: 10 March 2010 10:56 AM #12

N.L. - 10 March 2010 02:07 PM

Do you think I will be able to buy one if I just show up in NY beginning of April?

Tan’s putting one up on eBay :-D

• Posted: 10 March 2010 03:21 PM #13

N.L. - 10 March 2010 02:07 PM

You might have to wait 3 days wink

Signature

• Posted: 11 March 2010 05:01 AM #14

TanToday - 09 March 2010 03:48 PM

I’m going in for 2 on day one, orders.

Both will be 32G WiFi only.

Then I will sell one, on eBay immediately, the SECOND I get the confirmation. That way, unit #2 should book me a profit of $75 {estimated} to apply towards a 32G 3G/WiFi, coming out about a month after.

I will then give UNIT A, to 82 year old Mom, and see if she can figure it out, and likes it, then to son to play with it for a few days {19}, and then to basically computer illiterate wife {60} does the same.

That will give me personal demographic feedback on four user group types {i know, not nearly nuff to get meaningful data } BUT, nevertheless, that will give me initial impressions on…

1: The Old Timers who have had trouble getting the hang of complicated keyboard computing.

2: Gamers

3: Secondary incidental household use, reading, light surfing.

4: Me, technogeek businessman, with a lot of other computers.

I figure that by the end of two weeks, I will have gathered enough FIRSTHAND information, to make a relatively sane judgement call about the ability of the iPad to expand into NEW UNSERVED OR UNDERSERVED demographic units so far on OS X products.

Don’t put it on eBay…I’ll buy it!!

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 11 March 2010 11:58 AM #15

Pre-order 2 on day one.  One for self, one for wife.  Both 16 GB

Andy D