Airport Lifespan

Posted: 26 March 2010 11:25 AM

How long does an Airport Base Station last? I’ve got one that’s close to three years old and I’m starting to notice some network flakiness.

The wireless connection will drop out at random. I get good signal but no connection. The green light on the Airport stays on but under Network Diagnostics ISP, Internet, and Server go yellow or red and the wireless connection drops. The really strange thing is that I have a second system (a Windows machine) connected to the Airport via a Cat-5 network cable and it never goes down. My ISP says that everything is working fine on their end.

Could it be the Airport going south? Do they get flaky when they get old? I’ve not heard if there is a useful life on Wireless Transmitters.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 27 March 2010 11:35 PM #1

I don’t have the full-on base station, but I might as well post here since it’s an AirPort topic.

I had an AirPort Express (802.11g) that died on me after approx. 4-5 years of average use.  When it died, it was hot to the touch and had a distinct burning smell.  Then again, I didn’t know it stopped working right away since it was acting as a WDS.  A second AirPort Express I have is still going strong after about 5 years or so.

It could well be that your AirPort station is getting unreliable.  FYI, if you bought the base station the same time or after you bought your newest Mac, and your Mac is still under AppleCare, the base station is covered under the warranty too.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 April 2010 08:27 PM #2

I have two Airport base stations in mothballs. Seems to me they are not as robust as they should be.

I couldn’t assign a figure on a life span but the D-Link wireless router I’m using has outlasted both of them.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

Posted: 13 April 2010 04:08 PM #3

There have been some strong sunspot bursts recently which could be interfering with reception / transmission.

[ Edited: 13 April 2010 04:31 PM by Tetrachloride ]