beginning of the end for Cable?

• Posted: 01 April 2010 08:41 AM

From Briefing.com
    AAPL Apple: CBS, ABC plan free iPad shows - WSJ (235.00 ) -Update-

WSJ reports CBS and DIS’s ABC are adapting episodes of their TV shows to be viewable free of charge on Apple’s new iPad, according to people familiar with the matter, offering Apple new TV content as it prepares for the multimedia gadget’s Saturday release. The two U.S. networks are planning to stream their TV shows over the Internet with commercial breaks, similar to on their existing Web sites, people briefed on the plans said. CBS plans to stream episodes of TV shows through the iPad’s built-in Web browser, while ABC plans to stream its shows in an iPad application, the people familiar with the plans said… ABC’s planned iPad application would stream episodes of its TV shows in an advertising-supported format similar to that on ABC.com, according to people briefed on the plans. The application could have a large number of ABC programs available by the iPad launch, one of those people said… So far, several media companies have rejected Apple’s push to lower the price for downloading shows from iTunes to 99 cents each, according to people familiar with the talks.

This is huge!!! cannot stress how important this will be for network TV and Cable. Notice that NBC, run by that moron Jeff Zucker who hates Apple, is not aboard.

Posted: 01 April 2010 09:09 AM #1

I was just flipping through the channels and came across ABC as they were finishing up the review. The part I caught was where the two women didn’t want to give up the iPads. Sounded like a very positive review. I saw a video of a couple of people playing Scrabble where the iPad was the board and each of the people had an iPhone/iPod Touch with their individual tiles.

• Posted: 01 April 2010 09:29 AM #2

CdnPhoto - 01 April 2010 12:09 PM

I saw a video of a couple of people playing Scrabble where the iPad was the board and each of the people had an iPhone/iPod Touch with their individual tiles.

I knew this would happen. Now I have to buy three more iPod touches for guests.

• Posted: 02 April 2010 12:53 AM #3

FYI - the ABC Player app is now available from the App Store.

Posted: 02 April 2010 01:05 AM #4

SNIPUS - 01 April 2010 11:41 AM

From Briefing.com
    AAPL Apple: CBS, ABC plan free iPad shows - WSJ (235.00 ) -Update-

WSJ reports CBS and DIS’s ABC are adapting episodes of their TV shows to be viewable free of charge on Apple’s new iPad, according to people familiar with the matter, offering Apple new TV content as it prepares for the multimedia gadget’s Saturday release. The two U.S. networks are planning to stream their TV shows over the Internet with commercial breaks, similar to on their existing Web sites, people briefed on the plans said. CBS plans to stream episodes of TV shows through the iPad’s built-in Web browser, while ABC plans to stream its shows in an iPad application, the people familiar with the plans said… ABC’s planned iPad application would stream episodes of its TV shows in an advertising-supported format similar to that on ABC.com, according to people briefed on the plans. The application could have a large number of ABC programs available by the iPad launch, one of those people said… So far, several media companies have rejected Apple’s push to lower the price for downloading shows from iTunes to 99 cents each, according to people familiar with the talks.

This is huge!!! cannot stress how important this will be for network TV and Cable. Notice that NBC, run by that moron Jeff Zucker who hates Apple, is not aboard.

My stupid cable bill is $200ish a month and I don’t subscribe to any extras. Comcast has however given me extras because I’ve politely inquired why my cable bill needs to go up 20% every year. We have seven cable boxes and so in order for iPad to replace Comcast, we’d need seven iPods, and free basic cable on three other TVs, and we’d need iPad VOIP for our phones and iPod high-speed internet. Moreover, iPad would need to become monstersized since even in my office I have a 37” flatscreen for business news.

All to say, that iPad could broadcast for free every blessed channel 24/7 and it would still fall short of cable, That said, it occurs to me that Vizio (old Princeton Graphics for you web one-point-oh guys) should sponsor me.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 02 April 2010 02:18 AM #5

Comcast is the worst.  It needs to go the way of the dodo bird.  The lack of service, the annual price hikes, and the unbelievably poor online menu WOULD have make it go extinct years ago if not for the monopoly.  Has there EVER been a company so incompetent, so lazy?

• Posted: 02 April 2010 10:03 AM #6

Netflix App is in iTunes store. I’m surprised Apple is allowing it since it competes with iTunes’ offerings. Hulu also looks like it may be iPadable.

• Posted: 02 April 2010 10:39 AM #7

[quote]Networks line up iPad content

By Rick Porter

April 1, 2010 5:51 PM ET

If you’re among those who will be getting an Apple iPad when it launches on Saturday (April 3), you’ll be able to start watching TV shows on it pretty much right away.

ABC and CBS have already committed to providing content for the new device, and NBC will probably follow suit in the next few weeks. Video site Hulu is also reportedly developing an app for the iPad.

ABC says it will offer an ABC Player app that mimics the full-episode player on ABC.com. Users will be able to watch about 20 of the network’s shows—including, based on the image at the left, “Lost,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Modern Family” and “Dancing with the Stars.” The network has also made ABC.com compatible with the iPad (which doesn’t use Flash for video) so users can watch clips and other short-form video.

Other units of ABC parent Disney, including ESPN and the Disney Channel, will also have content for the iPad.

The first CBS show available on the iPad will be “Survivor,” The New York Times reports. It will be ready for viewing on Saturday, and other shows from the network will follow later. NBC is updating NBC.com to be compatible with the device, and, according to the Times, Hulu is working on an app that may operate on a subscription model.

There’s no word yet on what content FOX or The CW might offer for iPads.

• Posted: 02 April 2010 10:47 AM #8

Steven Colbert has an iPad [Again, if you remember the Grammys]

“And just like the iPhone, you can’t make calls with it.”

Posted: 02 April 2010 02:14 PM #9

willrob - 02 April 2010 01:03 PM

Netflix App is in iTunes store. I’m surprised Apple is allowing it since it competes with iTunes’ offerings. Hulu also looks like it may be iPadable.

ipadable, I think you have just coined a new word. I like it. grin

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 02 April 2010 03:27 PM #10

As mentioned earlier, NBC is dragging its heels:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/business/media/02netflix.html

Posted: 02 April 2010 03:32 PM #11

Given how terrible Flash is and has always been (even on PCs, once you do anything like opening up another app), it’s good to see Apple driving HTML5 adoption.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 April 2010 12:04 AM #12

NBC isn’t giving anything away for free. They appear to be thinking about subscription only programing. Here

• Posted: 03 April 2010 12:22 AM #13

And when your not watching TV on your iPad, you can move your trading platform over there, since it can now be a second multitouch monitor thanks to a new App. here

• Posted: 03 April 2010 01:58 AM #14

Derrick - 02 April 2010 06:27 PM

NBC is owned by Comcast, or will be shortly depending on how you keep score.  The peacock is dead.

• Posted: 03 April 2010 10:51 AM #15

capablanca - 03 April 2010 04:58 AM
    Derrick - 02 April 2010 06:27 PM

NBC is owned by Comcast, or will be shortly depending on how you keep score.  The peacock is dead.

NBC’s 30 Rock did a very funny episode (or two) about the takeover.