Who’s got an iPad already?

• Posted: 05 April 2010 11:18 AM

Ok. So who’s got one already? What’s the dish? Love it? Hate it? Can’t live without it already?
    There’s supposedly one floating around my office at work but I haven’t got my grubby hands on it yet. I’m curious what the people think about it, especially those in creative fields like me.
    So let fly!

[ Edited: 05 April 2010 11:56 AM by FlipFriddle ]

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 05 April 2010 11:55 AM #1

I have a 32GB iPad. I stood in line outside Best Buy on Saturday from 5am to 10am to get it. smile

I am happy with it so far. I can type *very* quickly in landscape orientation since it’s almost the size of a regular keyboard. I do end up with quite a few mistakes, but this was also the case when I first got my iPhone. After just a few days of use my error rate went down significantly on the iPhone and I expect the case will be the same with my iPad. It’s a combination of me adapting to the way it feels, and the device itself getting trained by the kinds of mistakes and manual corrections I make.

That said, I do still plan to get either a keyboard dock or a dedicated Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, because nothing can beat touch typing for long emails and word processing.

I am impressed at the overall interface speed. Switching between apps is pretty fast. For example I was using Mail, Twitterrific, Safari and AIM. Quitting and launching happens so quickly that I don’t think the lack of multitasking is any real inconvenience if you’re primarily switching between relatively lightweight programs.

Safari works wonderfully. I haven’t done a side-by-side test, but it feels almost on par with my MacBook in terms of page load speed on a home DSL connection.

Last night I watched a streaming NetFlix movie (1hr 48 min) and it consumed less than 20% of the battery capacity!

My comments are mostly very positive, but to be fair, here are a few complaints or critiques:
    * Mail: Still can’t move messages between servers if you have multiple accounts.
    * Mail: Still can only have one signature, and can’t toggle it on/off during composition.
    * Alerts (for example from a push notification) seem a bit out of place in the center of the large display. I’d like to see something that appears in the corner or edge of the screen and doesn’t cover what you’re doing, similar to Growl.
    * So far I have been able to pair with a new aluminum Bluetooth keyboard but not an older white one. I hope this is just a glitch but if the have decided to only support the newest keyboards, I hope Apple changes its mind.
    * It seems like a no-brainer that Apple should support syncing iWork documents from your iDisk. I hope they add this in a future update.

[ Edited: 05 April 2010 12:08 PM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 05 April 2010 10:28 PM #2

If they were available in New Zealand, or by the end of the month (as per Australia), I would have one. But we’re at the bottom of the list unfortunately.

On the flip side, I may have to wait so long that the next generation will be available, and the price will have halved, it will have twice the memory and twice the processor speed, and I can thus justify the waiting.

But I could always cheat: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/3548155/Early-iPads-hit-TradeMe

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 07 April 2010 07:12 AM #3

Follow up: http://www.3news.co.nz/Whats-hot-on-TradeMe-this-week/tabid/367/articleID/149953/Default.aspx

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 11 April 2010 06:00 PM #4

Well, I got to take home the work iPad over the weekend and here’s my thoughts:

The hardware is a dream. It feels like it’s the right size, has enough weight to feel substantial and not fragile, while light enough to not be tiring to hold (mostly). The screen is amazing (even in bright sunlight I was surprised that it is readable with the brightness up), and it is very snappy. It’s definitely more than the sum of its parts.

The new iPad-specific apps are nice (I tried Weather Channel, NPR, and Marvel Comics), though there aren’t that many yet.

My biggest beef, which for me makes the device kind of pointless is it’s lack of connectivity to Apple’s own media software iPhoto and iTunes. I can share my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to other devices on my local network, why can’t I share them with the iPad, a device whose very point is to consume media? This makes no sense to me and I can’t imagine Apple ignored this, but it somehow has to do with the current iPhone OS and will be fixed in 4. I hope so. Why do I have to transfer a few photos to my device to show some friends when they come over, when I should be able to just share my iPhoto library and let the iPad be a viewer, while the desktop does the heavy lifting? It makes no sense.

I still admire Apple’s balls of spending the amount of money on R&D and production of this device, which I still maintain Apple is not quite sure what it’s going to be for yet. The Apps will determine the iPad’s fate.

Signature

Posted: 12 April 2010 04:38 AM #5

I think we’re seeing Apple’s perfectionism at play here.  For example, when I saw how Apple took on the multitasking problem, it was clear to me just how much thought they put into their custom implementation.  Same with mostly system-wide cut and paste.  It can’t just work with Apple, it has to work great and it has to be easy to do.  If customer demand is high enough, I suspect they’ll eventually get around to tackling iPhoto/iTunes integration, but not before.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 April 2010 10:13 AM #6

Right. iPhoto/iTunes sharing seems like such a no brainer that it must be a perfectionism thing. It’s omission definitely left me scratching my head (I almost turned to the manual <gasp>!). I wonder if it has to do with the same reason behind the weird way the iWork apps move files around. Seems like the iTunes gateway may become more of a hindrance than a benefit. I have a feeling they are going to come up with something else at some point or iTunes will need to get renamed since it is hardly only “tunes” any longer.

Signature