iPhone OS 4.0 Preview Event Scheduled for This Thursday

• Posted: 05 April 2010 02:54 PM

Gizmodo reports that Apple has sent out media invitations for a preview event scheduled for this Thursday, April 8th, to show off iPhone OS 4.0. The event is scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM Pacific Time in the Town Hall on Apple’s Cupertino, California campus.

Reports of iPhone OS 4.0 features began to surface in January ahead of the iPad media event, but the software was not included in that presentation. At the time, claims of new multi-touch gesture support, multitasking, and a user interface refresh were making the rounds. Multitasking has been the focus of a number of subsequent reports, with a recent one noting that iPhone OS 4.0 will carry an implementation similar to that of Expos? in Mac OS X. Other rumored features include a unified inbox for multiple email accounts and the ability to place contacts directly on the home screen.

Evidence of iPhone OS 4.0 in testing appeared late last year, and the new operating system is presumed to be introduced alongside new iPhone hardware sometime in the June-July timeframe.

Posted: 05 April 2010 03:26 PM #1

This is the shortest notice Apple has ever given for any media invite that I can remember (at least the past 5 years).

Apple wants to keep this train rolling and/or make clear that they’re still on schedule.  Can’t wait to see what iPhone 4.0 offers.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 April 2010 03:32 PM #2

If apple doesn’t announce a verizon iphone, will this be seen as a negative for the stock and give the shorts a chance to take it down.

• Posted: 05 April 2010 03:59 PM #3

balesfam - 05 April 2010 06:32 PM

If apple doesn’t announce a verizon iphone, will this be seen as a negative for the stock and give the shorts a chance to take it down.

It is announcing the new OS for the iphone. WHat makes you thing that they will say anything about new hardware or carrier deals?

If I were Apple I would play this close to my chest and talk up all the new features that will be coming to the phone that is already in your pocket rather than pull an Osbourne and kill sales of current models.

I expect them to play up the new Ad platform however.

Signature

• Posted: 05 April 2010 04:39 PM #4

Apple just praised ATT as a partner in January, so announcing VZ as an imminent partner would surprise me at this stage of things.

• Posted: 05 April 2010 05:08 PM #5

Mercel - 05 April 2010 07:39 PM

Apple just praised ATT as a partner in January, so announcing VZ as an imminent partner would surprise me at this stage of things.

A possible Verizon deal, since it has nothing to do with the OS, should not come up as a topic.

One question: Will the new OS work on the original iPhone or is a 3G phone needed for this upgrade?

• Posted: 05 April 2010 05:24 PM #6

DawnTreader - 05 April 2010 08:08 PM

One question: Will the new OS work on the original iPhone or is a 3G phone needed for this upgrade?

Working maybe; working well probably not. I would expect Apple to optimize new features to take advantage of the faster processor. Even the 3Gs may seem sluggish running 4.0.

Posted: 05 April 2010 05:36 PM #7

I can’t imagine that Apple will be releasing ground breaking features in iPhone OS 4.0. With the event being held on Thursday and the invitation just having been sent out three days before, gives very little time for the press corp to get their act together. When other events were held, which announced a substantial product introduction, enough time was given for journalists to check their schedules, editors to arrange travel time for their correspondents, and the buzz to propagate on the web.

But with only three days, from invitation receipt to actual event, I don’t think Apple will expect the press to have everything ready for an important announcement. iPhone OS 4.0 will be somewhat better than a bump up, but not something to write home about or get all excited.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 05 April 2010 06:05 PM #8

awcabot - 05 April 2010 08:36 PM

I can’t imagine that Apple will be releasing ground breaking features in iPhone OS 4.0. With the event being held on Thursday and the invitation just having been sent out three days before, gives very little time for the press corp to get their act together. When other events were held, which announced a substantial product introduction, enough time was given for journalists to check their schedules, editors to arrange travel time for their correspondents, and the buzz to propagate on the web.

But with only three days, from invitation receipt to actual event, I don’t think Apple will expect the press to have everything ready for an important announcement. iPhone OS 4.0 will be somewhat better than a bump up, but not something to write home about or get all excited.

Well Andy ihnatko is away at camp and geeking out with his iPad anyway… He tweeted that he just couldn’t make it to the event but will be consuming it as will the rest of us.

SAI has a list of features that it would love to see up and I will be ticking these off.

Definitely worth a read:

Can be accessed from here.

Signature

• Posted: 05 April 2010 07:48 PM #9

The timing of this is puzzling. Why not give the iPad launch a few days honeymoon?

The only sense I can make of the timing is that they want to announce multitasking before the Microsoft mobile event. 

I, for one, would like a break from Apple’s relentless innovation. How about just a few days off to enjoy my iPad, Steve?

• Posted: 05 April 2010 08:07 PM #10

macorange - 05 April 2010 10:48 PM

The timing of this is puzzling. Why not give the iPad launch a few days honeymoon?

The only sense I can make of the timing is that they want to announce multitasking before the Microsoft mobile event. 

I, for one, would like a break from Apple’s relentless innovation. How about just a few days off to enjoy my iPad, Steve?

I, for one, think that Apple are working on the buy on the rumor story and are trying not to allow anyone to sell on the news by generating yet more rumors when the news hits.

Signature

• Posted: 05 April 2010 09:33 PM #11

They will talk new features in 4.0, but it is really about capabilities in the next SDK, including integration of one click mobile ads.  They need to get this out in the open as Jobs will be making an effort to get Madison Avenue ad firms on board right at the beginning of the adoption of the new SDK, to support Apple’s implementation of mobile ads ahead of the launch of both 4.0 and the new iPhone.

Posted: 05 April 2010 10:06 PM #12

I think the answer is fairly simple.

The previous iPhone OS previews (2.0 amd 3.0) were in mid-March.  Apple is “behind schedule” because of the iPad.  But, Apple is still more or less _on_ schedule with iPhone 4.0.  So, they’re moving along to announce iPhone 4.0 ASAP, which also indirectly/incidentally reassures the public that the 4th-gen iPhone is still mostly on schedule. 

iPhone 4.0 will have some important advancements for users and developers, including ad integration.

Then there’s the constant complaints about how iPhone 3.0 is “tired and stale” and “doesn’t support multitasking” (which does have merit as far as incoming phone calls killing running third-party apps goes).  iPhone 4.0 will conveniently (I hope) address this and other software limitations.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 April 2010 10:12 PM #13

Microsoft is rumored to be holding a press event on the 12th. The timing of Apple’s announcement might be to pre-empt the MSFT event and maintain momentum following the release of the iPad.

Posted: 05 April 2010 10:18 PM #14

Well it certainly doesn’t hurt.  There’s always hidden ulterior motives in event timings.  But really, this is the “soonest” they could’ve announced iPhone 4.0 and have the public be able to connect the iPad to the upcoming firmware update, given the release schedule.  So, here comes the iPhone 4.0 preview, a couple weeks later than normal. 

It fits together nicely, but I wouldn’t put this down as some grand design.  For example, Apple would’ve gladly started shipping iPad to as many countries as possible, and earlier too, except for likely constrained supplies.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 April 2010 10:24 PM #15

DawnTreader - 06 April 2010 01:12 AM

Microsoft is rumored to be holding a press event on the 12th. The timing of Apple’s announcement might be to pre-empt the MSFT event and maintain momentum following the release of the iPad.

Nah. The Microsoft event is likely for Project Pink - I don’t think a “sharing” phone that doesn’t use W7phone is going to steal much thunder. This is a rebranding of the Danger stuff from last year. But I could be wrong we shall see.

Signature