iPhone OS 4.0 Preview Event Scheduled for This Thursday

Posted: 05 April 2010 11:41 PM #16

I happen to think this story is just about DEAD ON accurate.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 05 April 2010 11:53 PM #17

I agree. The number is deceptively low. There may be some independent metrics that will provide clues as to the actial number of units sold, in the channel and on order (representing sales upon shipment).

• Posted: 06 April 2010 01:59 AM #18

rattyuk - 06 April 2010 01:24 AM
    DawnTreader - 06 April 2010 01:12 AM

Microsoft is rumored to be holding a press event on the 12th. The timing of Apple’s announcement might be to pre-empt the MSFT event and maintain momentum following the release of the iPad.

Nah. The Microsoft event is likely for Project Pink - I don’t think a “sharing” phone that doesn’t use W7phone is going to steal much thunder. This is a rebranding of the Danger stuff from last year. But I could be wrong we shall see.

I think ratty called it.  This is from Tuesday’s WSJ:

On Monday, Microsoft invited the media to an event April 12 in San Francisco with the slogan, “It’s time to share.” Though the company declined to disclose the event’s purpose, people familiar with the matter said it would be to introduce the new phones. Spokeswomen for Microsoft and Verizon Wireless declined to comment.

Microsoft needs a boost for its mobile business, which has suffered in recent years as its operating system for smartphones was eclipsed by technologies like Apple Inc.‘s iPhone and devices that run Google’s Android operating system.

On Monday, research firm comScore Inc. reported that the share of U.S. smartphone subscribers running devices that use Microsoft’s software fell to 15.1% in February from 19.1% in November. Devices that run on Google Android, meanwhile, increased to 9% from 3.8% while the share of Apple’s iPhone slipped to 25.4% from 25.5%, comScore said.

• Posted: 06 April 2010 01:18 PM #19

Maybe Rev 4 will introduce a couple of features for the iPad as well.

• Posted: 06 April 2010 01:58 PM #20

I think the timing totally makes sense. Apple needs to submit cellular capable devices to the FCC 90 days prior to release (hence 3G iPads on hold) placing the next iPhone’s earliest release (if announced on thursday) @ July 8th. Typically this is in the timeframe they historically have been so far (The 3G came out on July 11, 2008 - so it’s wouldn’t even be the latest calendar release date). This announcement also pulls double-duty in reassuring those on the fence over the iPad that even if they buy one right now, this brand new upgrade will be available at no cost (“It’s like a new ‘future-Proof’ machine”), thus ushering a “second wave” of initial purchases.

So, on Thursday, I feel there will be

a) Bragging about the iPad sales to date
    b) Announcement of iPhone OS 4 Launch date
    c) That same date will also be the New iPhone release date

all of this firmly keeps the attention in Apple’s corner

[ Edited: 06 April 2010 03:39 PM by Websnap ]      
  • Posted: 06 April 2010 01:58 PM #21

jecrawford - 06 April 2010 04:18 PM

Maybe Rev 4 will introduce a couple of features for the iPad as well.

Undoubtedly.

• Posted: 08 April 2010 12:21 AM #22

Apple Insider speculates on 3rd party multi-tasking announcement Thursday.  We shall know soon.

Recent reports have said that Apple plans to introduce its new mobile advertising platform, a result of its purchase of Quattro Wireless, at a special event set for Thursday to preview the forthcoming iPhone OS 4.0. The new version of Apple’s mobile operating system, which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, is believed to add full multitasking support with third-party applications from the App Store. The preview event is scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific, and will give a “sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software” at the company’s Cupertino, Calif., campus.

Posted: 08 April 2010 02:58 AM #23

I can “guarantee” that an iPhone launch date will not be set at this event.  This event is more to show the platform rather than the hardware.  WWDC was the venue for the last two iPhone introductions, and it actually seems to be a big draw for the developers as well as the media.  And why not - Apple hardware introductions are usually a lot of fun.

Don’t get me wrong, I want the 4th-gen iPhone yesterday.  But the iPhone is on a 12-month update schedule, more or less, so I wouldn’t expect to hear anything about it from Apple until the WWDC keynote.

On the question of multitasking, it’s bound to be “disappointing” because of limited RAM and battery life considerations.  What I would like to see more than anything else is third-party apps staying active or being easily frozen if a phone call comes in.  Make it like the “active call” green bar, but in reverse, so it’s much less intrusive and also non-destructive.

[ Edited: 08 April 2010 03:08 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 April 2010 10:06 AM #24

Didn’t Steve Jobs reputedly say during his pep talk to the Apple Staff a few weeks ago that the next iPhone OS would really be impressive? As Rumsfeld would say, we have the known unknowns for the announcement like multitasking but its the unknown unknowns that are intriguing. I agree that the hardware probably won’t be talked about and surely some of the new OS points will relate to new hardware so they might not get mentioned. My feeling is that the purpose of this early announcement is to parry further android publicity and take some of the sting out of the Apple doesn’t do flash and Apple doesn’t do multitasking diatribe that the web snarks keep harping on. But who knows outside of a few at 1 Infinite Loop. They’ll have their reasons.

And don’t forget that OS4 is also the iPad OS so some advances may be related to that device and may not get talked about. Hmmm.

My prediction (hope? wish?) is that iPhone OS4 will allow the iPhone to share music from a computer and they MAY even announce how it will share music with the cloud (LALA).

Signature

news, backstory, analysis and opinion for investors in AAPL at my blog relentless focus

• Posted: 08 April 2010 10:36 AM #25

[quote author=“relentlessFocus” date=“1270746404”
    My prediction (hope? wish?) is that iPhone OS4 will allow the iPhone to share music from a computer and they MAY even announce how it will share music with the cloud (LALA).

There’s some hints that Apple may be taking this on directly, instead of allowing 3rd party apps like Simplify Media to do it. Simplify works great, but they have stopped making it available and those who already are using it have been notified that service will stop in three months. The rumor mill is interpreting this to indicate that Apple want to do it themselves, probably only via Wi-Fi (SM does it over 3G).

Another related item I’ve read of but can’t verify since I don’t have an iPad yet: apparently Apple’s Music Player isn’t the only background audio anymore; posters have claimed that Pandora and other streaming radio apps will continue to play in the background while you check e-mail, the web, or lock the screen. This is only on the iPod however; so possibly OS 3.2.1 added this ability.

• Posted: 08 April 2010 12:50 PM #26

AppleInsider is doing a consolidated live coverage of the event today. They will combine coverage from Macworld, CNet News.com, Gizmodo & Engadget.

• Posted: 08 April 2010 12:57 PM #27

and MacDailyNews has a list of links to various liveblogs:

? ArsTechnica
    ? Computerworld
    ? Engadget
    ? Gizmodo
    ? iLounge
    ? Macworld
    ? TechzTalk

Posted: 08 April 2010 02:48 PM #28

So far I’ve not seen anything that makes me want to pay to upgrade.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:00 PM #29

Oh great, they are going to make the experience on my iPod touch so much better by sticking ads in my face. Thanks for that, Apple…

This upgrade had better be free, because I won’t be buying it.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:08 PM #30

SJ said the ads are to support free app development.  Free apps have ads in them now that close the app if touched and open a web page ad.  The new ads can be closed without interrupting the app at any time with the x corner.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.