iPhone OS 4.0 Preview Event Scheduled for This Thursday

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:08 PM #31

Oh well, it sounds like the only thing worth having (multitasking) won’t work on my iPod touch anyway. In that case, Apple know where they can shove their tentpoles.

All seven of them.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:09 PM #32

Wheeles: Actually the iAd feature should make billions for Apple—-it gets to keep 40% of ad revenue!!

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:09 PM #33

God, Wheeles,, you are a grumpy bird today.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:10 PM #34

wheeles - 08 April 2010 06:00 PM

Oh great, they are going to make the experience on my iPod touch so much better by sticking ads in my face. Thanks for that, Apple…

This upgrade had better be free, because I won’t be buying it.

How is it different if you don’t tap the ad? Even more so if you don’t upgrade your apps - they won’t use iAd at all; they’ll stay with admob.

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:10 PM #35

wheeles - 08 April 2010 06:08 PM

Oh well, it sounds like the only thing worth having (multitasking) won’t work on my iPod touch anyway. In that case, Apple know where they can shove their tentpoles.

All seven of them.

Not as much storage as a nomad. Lame.

I think you are letting your personal opinions cloud your judgement. But hey that’s your call.

Signature

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:12 PM #36

macglenn - 08 April 2010 06:08 PM

SJ said the ads are to support free app development.  Free apps have ads in them now that close the app if touched and open a web page ad.  The new ads can be closed without interrupting the app at any time with the x corner.

The whole iAd thing is about shutting Google out of the iPhone by making sure people don’t end up on the web if they click an advert, purposefully or not.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:14 PM #37

wheeles - 08 April 2010 06:12 PM

The whole iAd thing is about shutting Google out of the iPhone by making sure people don’t end up on the web if they click an advert, purposefully or not.

And that is a problem?

Signature

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:15 PM #38

macglenn - 08 April 2010 06:08 PM

SJ said the ads are to support free app development.  Free apps have ads in them now that close the app if touched and open a web page ad.  The new ads can be closed without interrupting the app at any time with the x corner.

Yes, and I say great!  60% of the aps on my touch are free and I like that trend.  It keeps pay apps competetive.  Sorta like a “public option”  :wink:

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:15 PM #39

sleepygeek - 08 April 2010 06:10 PM
    wheeles - 08 April 2010 06:00 PM

Oh great, they are going to make the experience on my iPod touch so much better by sticking ads in my face. Thanks for that, Apple…

This upgrade had better be free, because I won’t be buying it.

How is it different if you don’t tap the ad? Even more so if you don’t upgrade your apps - they won’t use iAd at all; they’ll stay with admob.

There is nothing in this upgrade that I want that works on my iPod touch, so I can’t see myself buying it.

As to the advertising revenue. It remains to be seen how much Apple make from it.

Signature

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:24 PM #40

No, they still end up on the web, but they stay in the app context rather than switching to the browser app. I don’t think there’s anything to stop Google/Admob implementing the same thing in the framework they provide developers. And Apple haven’t said they are blocking Admob from apps - it would be a risky step to take, attracting regulatory review.

I don’t see it as Apple shutting Google out; it’s much more Apple pointing out that they are better equipped to sell in app advertising than Google, since it doesn’t have a search element.

Posted: 08 April 2010 03:33 PM #41

BOB, my e*Trade newsfeed is overloaded with AAPL.
    BTW, with the GAAP changes Apple may no longer charge iPod Touch owners for upgrades.

Signature

• Posted: 08 April 2010 03:46 PM #42

Final Q&A
    “...can people use stuff other than iAd and Game Center?”

“to answer the second question, yes, you can use any service.”

So Google/Admob can definitely compete with iAd if they wish.

Posted: 08 April 2010 04:14 PM #43

wheeles - 08 April 2010 06:08 PM

All seven of them.

Tell me you haven’t made enough $$$ on AAPL to pay for any TOY they bring out?

I figure all mine are FREE, and then I have extra money left over as well.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 09 April 2010 12:50 AM #44

Interesting tidbit ... Spotlight can be used to search the web and Wikipedia in 4.0:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-0-spotlight-lets-you-directly-search-web-wikipedia/

• Posted: 09 April 2010 12:07 PM #45

I’m not sure why the delay till Fall for OS4 for the iPad, but from reading various sites last night, I noticed that some of the features OS$ will bring to the iPhone are already implemented in OS 3.2.1 on the iPad. Couple of examples: ability to create playlists on the device, streaming apps (like Pandora) can continue playing in the background and even with the screen locked.