Colum O’Dwyer’s Big iPad Adventure

• Posted: 05 April 2010 06:46 PM

My friend and associate Colum O’Dwyer is embarking on an iPad in education adventure. He plans to primarily use his new iPad in his school work as a college student, leaving behind his trusty MacBook Pro as much as possible.

He’ll be reporting on his blog what daily school tasks can be accomplished on an iPad and which tasks require reaching for the Mac laptop instead. He will provide an in-depth report at the end of his 30-day adventure.

Posted: 16 April 2010 11:08 AM #1

DawnTreader - 05 April 2010 09:46 PM

My friend and associate Colum O’Dwyer is embarking on an iPad in education adventure. He plans to primarily use his new iPad in his school work as a college student, leaving behind his trusty MacBook Pro as much as possible.

He’ll be reporting on his blog what daily school tasks can be accomplished on an iPad and which tasks require reaching for the Mac laptop instead. He will provide an in-depth report at the end of his 30-day adventure.

Not sure how many folks are keeping up with Colum’s O’Dwyer adventure but it gives a good real use story on the Ipad in education.

CONCLUSION
    So does this mean a college student could use an iPad instead of a computer? The answer is yes and no. The most important thing that I stress is that you should have a personal computer so that you can sync and backup your iPad. On a college campus their are computers you can use do intense research and printing needs but I would argue that you still need a compute of your own to interface with on a weekly basis for backing up. Below I have compiled a list of items that the iPad is missing some of which are needed before the iPad can replace a laptop.
    Direct Printing
    Creating Mail Folders
    Creating Calendars
    Creating Contact Groups
    Searchable Safari Pages
    Multi-Tasking (Will Be Here Next School Year)
    Flash Drive That Works With 30Pin Dock Connector
    iDisk & Pages Support

I think many of these items will be addressed in the Iphone 4.0 version for the Ipad.  The issue of direct printing is an obvious requirement and I would think Apple could do something with CUPS + Bonjour + Mobile Me along the lines of what Google is looking at with Cloud Printing

• Posted: 16 April 2010 03:38 PM #2

I’m following Colum’s reports. The reports are an interesting look at uses of an iPad on campus. There’s a bigger market for the iPad than most observers consider.