Share your favorite iPad apps

• Posted: 12 April 2010 07:08 PM

Which iPad apps are your favorite so far?

(As well all know, the iPad can also run existing iPhone apps. I’m thinking of ones that are specifically updated for iPad to take advantage of its larger display, etc.)

[ Edited: 30 January 2012 08:22 PM by Laurie Fleming ]      

Posted: 13 April 2010 11:04 AM #1

My favorite iPad apps so far are:

- GoodReader - PDF reader, MobileMe and Dropbox access
    - Instapaper Pro - The iPad’s big screen makes for a much nicer reading experience
    - BBC News - The Beeb knows how to make a great news app
    - NPR - Nice interface, access to lots of NPR content
    - Words HD - Words with Friends so so much better on the iPad screen
    - TWC Max+ - The Weather Channel app for the iPad

• Posted: 13 April 2010 11:08 AM #2

My office has a community iPad that we are evaluating because we’ll be paying a third party to develop an app for one of our pubs (and it’s fun to play with). I would say we all feel that the NPR app is the nicest news app so far, but it’s NPR news so it’s not really a newspaper replacement. Really clean and simple. Reading comic books with the Marvel Comics app was really cool; especially since they have old classics available (Spiderman #1 for instance). GoodReader did a nice job of sucking in PDFs from various sources and made reading them fast and easy (though you couldn’t read them as spreads, though the PDF might have to be setup that way, I’m not sure).

More later as we test/play with it.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 13 April 2010 11:52 AM #3

Current favorites:
    - Twitter: Twitterrific (also my favorite on iPhone; Tweetie is excellent too but not updated for iPad)
    - Instant Messaging: IM+ has a decent release, but needs metacontacts and auto away. Can’t wait to see Beejive for iPad
    - RSS: Still using the mobile web version of Google Reader, and liking it.
    - Media: Pandora and Netflix. Looking forward to iPhone OS 4 so I can stream music in the background.
    - Games: Enigmo and Aki Mahjong. I wasn’t into Enigmo before, but it’s a lot of fun to play by touch on iPad.
    - Office: I bought all three iWork apps and they are nice ??but I haven’t had much opportunity to use them yet.

I’m surprised that there isn’t an updated Facebook client, but the standard desktop website works quite well on the iPad’s large screen.

With Opera Mini now approved for iPhone, I wonder if it will be released for iPad too. I like Safari just fine but it’s always nice to have a couple options.

• Posted: 13 April 2010 12:45 PM #4

I have two favorites.  The first is Astroware’s Solitaire.  It is a beautiful app that just flows.  Every time I play it I think how great it must be for anyone who has impaired use of their hands.  Anyone who can point with one finger can play this game.

The other is WolframAlpha.  The iPad version is just awesome and with new $1.99 price anyone can afford it.  The amount of information provided is great.  I am still learning how to properly ask questions though.

In addition to those two, I am also enjoying NPR for iPad.

Signature

Computing with Bifocalsfor those who remember life before there was color.

• Posted: 13 April 2010 09:14 PM #5

This is a completely biased report but I like the iPad app I published!  It’s a sketching and drawing tool that is really easy to use and uses natural shading to make it easy to draw ideas or artwork. I know there are others but this is my favorite!!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/really-big-pictures-hd/id364900656?mt=8

I also like the following:

- GoodReader PDF viewer
    - Keynote by Apple
    - NetFlix

Image Attachments

parrot_portrait.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 13 April 2010 09:52 PM #6

I’m completely biased, but my own app is my favorite, though not yet optimized for the iPad.  (free test sample available via Private Message, no purchase required)

• Posted: 05 January 2011 06:52 AM #7

Hi guys,

I just came across this threat and would like to share my favourite iPad app which is the Monopol art magazine app. As a complete contemporary art junky, I am so happy that I found this. Great video interviews, interesting articles and much more.

By the way I am in love with my iPad, it was my best buy in 2010!
    sure u guys feel the same, no?

xx

• Posted: 27 January 2011 01:42 AM #8

A couple that take advantage of the iPad’s large screen as an audio interface
    Audioprom
    SoundYeah

• Posted: 04 April 2011 11:42 AM #9

I would have to say Zite, it is awesome. I understand it’s in trouble with some publishers right now. I hope they can overcome their troubles and not be neutered like the Time Warner app. I would have recommended that one also except they cut out all of the decent stations on the threat of litigation.
    Love iBooks, have imported most of my collection.
    For gaming I enjoy lets golf hd, my brother and I go head to head on that over bluetooth. Let us not forget those angry birds!
    There are so many great apps out there, the iPad truly is a magical device.

• Posted: 22 April 2011 07:58 AM #10

My favorites:

NASA App HD
    WolframAlpha
    ComicStrip - CS
    Color Splash for iPad
    GoSkyWatch Planetarium - the astronomy star guide
    iStudiez Pro
    Penultimate

More good iPad Apps - http://www.mybestappsforipad.com

• Posted: 24 May 2011 08:41 AM #11

Parking Aid - this is more of a iPhone app but it will show you where you parked your car via GPS!!

3D drum kit - I could spend hours on this smile

Posted: 24 May 2011 02:07 PM #12

Tap Tap Revenge 4 :-D They come handy on those boring & long days.

Posted: 04 June 2011 09:08 PM #13

Hi everyone
    I just bought an iPad 2 and I’m loving learning how to use it (I’ve been a PC user).  The AppStore is excellent.  I have just downloaded a new app called Gridloch.  It’s actually very addictive.  I originally bought it for the kids but it turns out I really enjoy playing it myself!

Signature

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
    Get in the cave!

• Posted: 05 June 2011 06:04 PM #14

One of my favorites recently has been Reeder, an RSS reader which syncs feeds to Google Reader.

• Posted: 09 June 2011 07:14 AM #15

My favourite apps are: Learning Heroes Kids Coloring Book- learn and fun in one (it’s free app : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lh-kids-coloring-book/id440493175?mt=8&ls=1)
    and Recent Photos- sharing photos with friends ( it’s free app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/recent-photos/id411897119)