Platform wars are breaking out all over

Posted: 23 April 2010 10:41 AM #16

rattyuk - 23 April 2010 01:33 PM
    jeffi - 23 April 2010 01:19 PM

Android is out just a few months. It has already gotten amazing traction. Much quicker than the iPhone.

For better or for worse, being first to the market never guaranteed taking that market. There are literally countless textbook examples (VHS vs Betamax, and even closer to home original Mac vs PC). I think it has a lot to do with this.

Posted: 23 April 2010 10:42 AM #17

macorange - 23 April 2010 02:53 AM

Imagine if the iPhoneOS gets a 70% OS market share.  Apple can then replace Google’s search engine with one of it’s own, which will be accepted by it’s loyal fanbase as long as it is reasonably close in functionality.

*Raises hand*  I don’t think it will be possible for any single entity to control 70% of the worldwide mobile OS market, certainly not for a single company. Consumers, corporations, and antitrust lawmakers around the world learned the costly mistake of such a monopoly after Microsoft’s domination of the PC era. We’re still experiencing the costs of lack of competition in that area.

Certainly iPhone OS is a poor candidate since, all things equal, it is premium-priced. We may disagree on what “premium” is, but another player can, should, and likely will grab the other end of the market with a disruptive technology (i.e. “good enough”/”almost iPhone” but for cheaper price to the market).

Let me assume that there will be at least two platforms to survive. I’ve already bet my views (and my money) on Apple being number 1. But if we look for number two, who has the most chance of success? Google, I think - and I agree with most of jeffi is saying above. (Owning 5x in AAPL over GOOG also sounds reasonable).

Any other real contenders for #2? I don’t like the prospects of Microsoft, RIMM, Palm, or Nokia.

• Posted: 26 April 2010 09:36 AM #18

Genuine quality platforms will always make a place for themselves. In the open source world the latest search platforms like Solr (http://www.lucidimagination.com/Downloads/LucidWorks-for-Solr/Reference-Guide) are doing a decent job exhibiting some advanced searching and indexing techniques.

• Posted: 26 April 2010 01:40 PM #19

Steve Jobs may be a true visionary, but I doubt that even he had the foresight to imagine working with Google in 1996…considering Google wasn’t founded until 1998. smile

Edit: Well, it is possible that Jobs did…I see that Google was actually started in 1996, running on Standford’s network, but the company wasn’t incorporated until 1998 and didn’t have the google.com domain until 1997. Regardless, in 1996, surely few imagined that Google would grow into the dominate player they became years later.

[ Edited: 26 April 2010 01:47 PM by jimothy ]      
  • Posted: 26 April 2010 01:53 PM #20

Mace - 22 April 2010 07:20 AM

By PC/OS war, do you mean desktops?

It’s fascinating that we have a mobile OS war that involves many of the same players as the desktop, using much of the same codebase as on the desktop. What’s old is new again.

You and I know that devices running Android, iPhone OS, Chrome OS, etc. are real, miniaturized computers. But since they are in a different form factor and target different uses, people don’t have the same priorities as they did when comparing regular computers.

They’re less concerned about “does it run Microsoft Office”, and more concerned about size and weight, flexibility, ease of use, quality of web browsing experience, and so on. In short, the same players could win or lose for entirely different reasons than why they won or lost the desktop.

Mace - 22 April 2010 07:20 AM

iPad could be the form factor that would eventually replace desktops and laptops, as the mainstream computing platform.

You’ve hit the nail right on the head. Whomever wins in the mobile space may stand to win in an even bigger way in the next decade or two, as phones, tablets and netbooks really mature and begin to replace desktops and laptops. Apple or another player may yet win the desktop by simply by making it irrelevant.

The OS war is dead. Long live the OS war.

[ Edited: 26 April 2010 02:02 PM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 26 April 2010 04:21 PM #21

This was posted in the intraday thread, but repeating it here for context. Nexus One is not coming to Verizon, despite previous expectations. Big blow to Google’s platform (and GOOG down 2%). It looks like Android is being forced into a Microsoft-type model, single OS / multiple vendors, and Google’s attempt at integrating is being shot down.

Any thoughts on why this broke down, and what Verizon wants?

Edit: Maybe we’ll see a Verizon iPhone this year, after all? I know it might not make sense to build a CDMA phone in 2010 when LTE is coming in 2011, but for a lot of customers the wait’s been too long, and they went for iPhone substitutes on Verizon.

[ Edited: 26 April 2010 04:25 PM by Roman ]      
  • Posted: 26 April 2010 04:30 PM #22

Roman - 26 April 2010 07:21 PM

Any thoughts on why this broke down, and what Verizon wants?

My guess is that Verizon wants to focus on their Droid brand.  Google allows carriers to create their own brands around the Android OS.  For carriers willing to make the investment, like Verizon has with Droid, it must be tempting.  But once Verizon does create their own brand, why should they accept the Google branded android phones?

Signature

Off again, on again…

• Posted: 26 April 2010 07:16 PM #23

I don’t see an antitrust problem with the iPhone OS?  Apple isn’t doing anything prosecutable under any anti-trust laws that I can think of.  There are multiple and older and newer options.  Palm, MSFT, Android, Nokia, etc.  If 80% of consumers choose to buy Apple, that’s not an antitrust issue unless Apple tries to buy Palm (for example) or compete somehow unfairly by pricing their products less than cost.

Posted: 26 April 2010 08:17 PM #24

... Any thoughts on why this broke down ...

Google insists that Nexus One can only be bought on Google website.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 26 April 2010 08:37 PM #25

Mace - 26 April 2010 11:17 PM

... Any thoughts on why this broke down ...

Google insists that Nexus One can only be bought on Google website.

Ah, that would do it. Google will need to learn a lesson.

Posted: 28 April 2010 02:34 PM #26

You may enjoy this terrific article.  Apple Keeps Winning Because It Is A Giant Startup

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.