iPad will forever change how we do things

• Posted: 22 April 2010 07:33 AM

music ally has a posting with video titled: “Chinese pianist Lang Lang plays Flight Of The Bumblebee. On an iPad.”

Chinese pianist Lang Lang is apparently known for his flamboyant style, but at a recent concert in San Francisco, he outdid himself. How? By walking on-stage for the encore playing Flight Of The Bumblebee on an iPad.

Video is here: iPad in concert

Posted: 22 April 2010 08:45 AM #1

Amazing!

Apple needs to hire him, to do that in a commercial.

Pass that one along to Steve if you see him today at a cafe with Schmidt, will ya?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 22 April 2010 09:38 AM #2

Time for yet ANOTHER “THINK DIFFERENT” campaign?

Featuring AMAZING new uses for the iPad that were never even possible before?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 24 April 2010 12:08 PM #3

Here a hidden feature which will make using a USB microphone possible.

Via Tidbits

The Camera Connection Kit for the iPad has a trick up its sleeve: it handles audio, too, via the USB adapter. Plug in a set of USB headphones or a headset that requires no drivers on a Mac - most use a standard audio profile - and the iPad transfers audio output or input and output.

• Posted: 24 April 2010 01:36 PM #4

The camera connector also works with a USB wired Keyboard since the drivers already exist on the iPad for the dock keyboard. This should save a few dollars for some people, assuming they shell out for the camera kit.

By the way, the iPad will import only the JPEG preview from RAW files, so don’t make the mistake of deleting images from your SD card.

Edit: for Skype, wouldn’t it be easier and less to carry around to use a set of iPhone earbuds?

[ Edited: 24 April 2010 01:41 PM by willrob ]      

Posted: 24 April 2010 05:27 PM #5

That also happens to be an excellent demo of the iPad’s speed and touchscreen responsiveness.  You can complain about a lack of tactile keyboard all you want, but then you have a virtuoso-level pianist playing a tactile-free virtual piano on a “big iPod touch” with that level of precision…it’s just stunning.

Apple should seriously consider at least showing off that clip the next time they make an iPad-related announcement.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 April 2010 07:14 PM #6

I’m thinking of getting an iPad just to show off and inspire more buyers.

Posted: 25 April 2010 01:27 PM #7

Ipad in Rutgers Mini-MBA program

The iPads are not intended to be shiny new toys offered as gifts just for participating. Rather, they will be an integral part of the 12-session program, customized with Apple’s help “to provide a new dimension to executive education in a field that is defined by technology,” as a press release from Rutgers explains.
    The Rutgers Center for Management Development (CMD) is trying to integrate the benefits of in-person classroom learning with the power and flexibility of digital technology. Rutgers faculty are working with Apple to customize the iPad for use in the course, and with programmers to develop apps specific for each of the 12 three-hour modules.

Posted: 25 April 2010 05:18 PM #8

I’m pretty sure he is just running Magic Piano on the iPad, which plays the song in time to your tapping. No virtuosity required. The app has several songs loaded up.  Meant for fun (such as when he has the conductor jump in and tap away).

That being said, I agree that it will change things.  I’m already drooling about how I can improve things for students in my military classrooms!

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 25 April 2010 05:36 PM #9

You are right, Resonate.  In fact, from the iTunes store;  “Magic Piano was inspired by the world renowned pianist Lang Lang.”

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 02 May 2010 03:57 PM #10

Ipad at Trial

Seems the iPad has found it way into the briefcase of this trial lawyer

Only twice did a technology hiccup occur during use at trial. On opening a presentation for the first time, Keynote abruptly quit, resulting and returned to the iPad home screen. Tapping Keynote and reopening the presentation quickly cured the problem. It?s a weird little bug that will probably be remedied and can be avoided by opening the presentation in advance. But, even with the ?crash? of Keynote, two taps and the thing was back up and FAST. The first time it happened there?s that momentary panic, but it opened up so quickly that the second time it happened I didn?t even notice it.

The MacBook came along at trial, but sat somewhat despondent at counsel?s table. Never once was it taken to the podium. It did come in handy for a quick search, during opposing counsel?s direct exam, for cross exam references in the witness?s deposition. But, iPad then took over by pulling up the transcript for the jury to see.

[ Edited: 02 May 2010 04:01 PM by pats ]      

Posted: 04 May 2010 04:17 AM #11

adamthompson3232 - 04 May 2010 06:54 AM

Here are some very relevant and very interesting blogs from a developer who previously very publicly denounced Apple and its app store. Great sign to see him come back around and tout Apple’s market position from a developer’s perspective. I highly recommend both links below.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/5/3/back-in.html

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

Thank.  That guy bring up a good point about multi-tasking.  Doing away with it makes computers easier to use.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 04 May 2010 06:59 AM #12

adamthompson3232 - 04 May 2010 06:54 AM

Here are some very relevant and very interesting blogs from a developer who previously very publicly denounced Apple and its app store. Great sign to see him come back around and tout Apple’s market position from a developer’s perspective. I highly recommend both links below.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/5/3/back-in.html

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

The “Future Shock” blog post and the comments it generated is the best discussion of what the iPad is/will become that i have seen.

• Posted: 04 May 2010 10:29 AM #13

Dropbox for iPad is out
    Seth Weintraub

May 03, 2010

Dropbox for iPad(free) is out and the reviews are pretty good.  Dropbox, if you don’t have it already, is 2.2GB of free space in the cloud that syncs with a folder in your Mac or PC’s Home directory.  Using Dropbox for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch allows you to view these files on your iProduct.  For instance, a Powerpoint in your dropbox folder can be opened in your iPad in Keynote.

Also, when you favorite a file, it stores that file locally on your iPad.  The only flaws include lackluster PDF viewing and inability to zoom pictures.  We’re hoping to see those improved in the next version..