AFB Members: Blogs Anyone?

• Posted: 23 April 2010 04:08 AM

AFB members:

This is a reminder I’m seeking information on any AAPL-related blogs maintained by AFB members. If you’re actively blogging about Apple please provide the blog URL in a reply to this post.

• Posted: 23 April 2010 09:50 AM #1

What do you recommend for blogging software?  Wordpress?  iWeb?  Thx.

• Posted: 23 April 2010 11:30 AM #2

Real quickly (I’ll be back with more info later):

I wouldn’t use iWeb for a fast-paced blog presence. It’s a bit dated, but here’s my iWeb ‘09 review from early 2009.

I’m currently using Blogger.

• Posted: 23 April 2010 03:12 PM #3

The current AFB member blog list:

Deagol’s Blog

Turley’s blog

Andy Zaky’s blog

pats, awcabot, Mercel, don’t you think it’s time to join the blogger world?

• Posted: 23 April 2010 05:22 PM #4

Forgot to add my blog.  LOL

DT’s Posts At Eventide.

Posted: 23 April 2010 06:27 PM #5

Mercel - 23 April 2010 12:50 PM

What do you recommend for blogging software?  Wordpress?  iWeb?  Thx.

I’ve been using rapidweaver (from realmacsoftware.com, I have no affiliation with them except as a happy customer) for website creation for several years on multiple websites. Great software for building multimedia sites. They do have blogging built in, but I’m switching to Wordpress for my pure blogs. This will include my not ready for prime time yet iPadMusicApp.com site. iPadMusicApp.com will be, as the name implies, about creating and performing music on an iPad. Should be up and running next week.

Wordpress, when hosted on your own site, gives a lot of control. There are tons of free themes and plugins that help with content management and Search Engine Optimization (SEO). The main reason I’m switching to Wordpress, though is the ability to post from an iPad or iPhone. I plan on still using RapidWeaver for non-blog sites.

[ Edited: 23 April 2010 06:29 PM by stevereel ]

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

Posted: 24 April 2010 09:04 AM #6

DawnTreader - 23 April 2010 06:12 PM

The current AFB member blog list:

Deagol’s Blog

Turley’s blog

Andy Zaky’s blog

pats, awcabot, Mercel, don’t you think it’s time to join the blogger world?

Unfortunately financial-alchemist and bullcross seem to have become inactive.

Signature

news, backstory, analysis and opinion for investors in AAPL at my blog relentless focus

• Posted: 24 April 2010 05:33 PM #7

relentlessFocus - 24 April 2010 12:04 PM

rF, why aren’t you actively blogging? The AFB is good, a network of active bloggers and the AFB is better.

Posted: 24 April 2010 06:05 PM #8

DawnTreader - 24 April 2010 08:33 PM

rF, why aren’t you actively blogging? The AFB is good, a network of active bloggers and the AFB is better.

I’ve thought seriously about it,... often. I’m not a technical analyst in any way. My interest in things Apple is certainly business and product oriented but decidedly not financial in the sense of you or Deagol or Andy Zacky, etc. At one point I decided to set up a twitter account called “relentlessFocus” and tweeted stuff on Apple. I found 140 characters an interesting challenge but felt twitter encourages the superficial snarky attitudes which seem to be taking over from thoughtful analysis in all walks of life. I wondered if I had enough to post that was original, I hate just parroting info from the good Apple blogs:

John Gruber at daringfireball.net
    Kontra at counternotions.com
    Daniel Eran Dilger at roughlydrafted.com
    Brainstorm Tech and Philip Elmer-DeWitt at tech.fortune.cnn.com

And I felt twitter was like tossing posted notes into the world ocean…

I set up a relentlessFocus Tumblr account too. Tumblr is much better for thoughtfulness and easy to set up. But I never really posted there.

However, If a few people want to work on a blog with me I’m willing to entertain the idea. I like to try to investigate stuff that few people look into. Like when the HTC lawsuit was filed I didn’t see anyone ask… who are the lawyers for Apple and how good are they? (hint, I’ve posted elsewhere here the VERY interesting answer to that question). Then I became interested in what was going on with PA Semi and what exactly Apple was using them for which led me to my recent post about Intrinsity. There’s lots of stuff like this, eg, LALA.

Well, if others are interested in setting up a group Apple blog PM me we can discuss.

Eric

Post script: I also post a lot in the comments section on counternotions and roughly drafted and also Ian Betteridge’s Technovia http://www.technovia.co.uk/ another good Apple blog using Eric in London as my nic.

[ Edited: 24 April 2010 06:11 PM by relentlessFocus ]

Signature

news, backstory, analysis and opinion for investors in AAPL at my blog relentless focus

• Posted: 24 April 2010 06:27 PM #9

relentlessFocus - 24 April 2010 09:05 PM
    DawnTreader - 24 April 2010 08:33 PM

I’ve thought seriously about it,... often. I’m not a technical analyst in any way. My interest in things Apple is certainly business and product oriented but decidedly not financial in the sense of you or Deagol or Andy Zacky, etc. At one point I decided to set up a twitter account called “relentlessFocus” and tweeted stuff on Apple. I found 140 characters an interesting challenge but felt twitter encourages the superficial snarky attitudes which seem to be taking over from thoughtful analysis in all walks of life. I wondered if I had enough to post that was original, I hate just parroting info from the good Apple blogs

I say go for it. You don’t know until you try. It doesn’t take much time to set-up and both Blogger and Word Press provide the tools. Twitter than becomes an extension of your blog presence rather than 140 characters or less needing to stand on their own.

Posted: 24 April 2010 08:29 PM #10

Thanks for the encouragement DT. I’m certainly familiar with running the tools. I’ll repeat my request for anyone else who might be interested in co-authoring a thoughtful blog about Apple to get in touch with me.

Eric

Signature

• Posted: 26 April 2010 10:27 AM #11

A little Interesting that Turley Muller has only one new entry in Jan 2010 and Andy Zaky hasn’t added anything since mid-2009 on their respective blogs.

Your blog appears to be among the more active out there, so keep up the good work!

Is it possible that the challenge of monetizing a blog limiting their sustainability?

Posted: 26 April 2010 11:57 AM #12

Mercel - 26 April 2010 01:27 PM

A little Interesting that Turley Muller has only one new entry in Jan 2010 and Andy Zaky hasn’t added anything since mid-2009 on their respective blogs.

Your blog appears to be among the more active out there, so keep up the good work!

Is it possible that the challenge of monetizing a blog limiting their sustainability?

I would have to agree the blogs appear to be more a labor of love rather then a money making opportunity.  The key to developing an audience requires frequent thoughtful posts.  One of my favorites CounterNotions went off the radar for awhile but recently has been posting again. 

I would be interested in DTs view on the economics.  Do you make enough from the ads to pay for hosting ect.

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:32 PM #13

LOL, why do you think all of his opinions can be see at eventide. (PS) I don’t mind giving DT the hits. For all the time he spends in the forum, it is the least I can do. This was a big controversy a while back when Ern joined. I had a huge objection to him redirecting everything to his website. It started with his first post I believe. I am always wary of a new member who puts a link in right after joining. The funny thing is with Ern, he had a good message and was very knowledgeable. He just did not know how to gain the trust of the forum before doing what he was doing. To DT’s credit, most of the time DT will tell you the link is going to send you to his site.

Here’s the thing, what is the point of being here if everyone wants their own blog? I can assure all of you that without this site your blogs would not get to profitability. There just are not enough fanboys. There may be some things that bother me about this site, but my loyalty will remain with TMO.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:37 PM #14

I believe many of our more notorious bloggers who have prognosticated on earnings ahead of the quarters are able to get more visibility when they have their own platform as well. Otherwise when PED links to one of them he would just have to say “AFB or Macobserver member”. Having their own soapbox to stand on helps to get a quicker cleaner message out. It also helps to fight off all the FUD by having different sites that we can link to to dispel rumors or false info. Basically gives us a bigger megaphone.

Edit: If I had the inclination and more tolerance for doing the boring side of the math I would set one up to…...I just keep too much other stuff on my plate though.

I do occasionally post on twitter, username jhall

http://www.twitter.com/jhall
    and http://www.stocktwits.com

edit: some spelling (probably more wrong)

[ Edited: 26 April 2010 12:54 PM by $Billyall ]      

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:42 PM #15

$Billyall - 26 April 2010 03:37 PM

I believe many of our more notorious bloggers who have prognosticated on earnings ahead of the quarters are able to get more visibility when they have their own platform as well. Otherwise when PED links to one of them he would just have to say “AFB or Macobserver member”. Having their own soapbox to stand on helps to get a quicker cleaner message out. It also helps to fight off all the FUD by having different sites that we can link to to dispel rumors or false info. Basically gives us a bigger megaphone.

Edit: If I had the inclination and more tolerance for doing the boring side of the math I would set one up to…...I just keep to much other stuff on my plate though.

I do occasionally post on twitter, username jhall

http://www.twitter.com/jhall

Agreed Billy, all I was saying was that the AFB needs to be protected also.

Twitter, chuckle. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.