The Photography Thread

• Posted: 27 April 2010 05:02 PM

It has been suggested that we have a topic on digital photography, so here we go!

Let’s share and discuss everything relating to digital photography on the Mac. What software do you use? What tips and questions do you have? What other equipment do you use? Etc.

[ Edited: 06 June 2012 11:58 AM by Intruder ]      
  • Posted: 28 April 2010 10:06 AM #1

Ok, here we go…

I just bought Aperture and used Iphoto before. So Aperture is all new for me. But the first, obvious, question is: how will I manage/organize my photo’s?  Anyone who can give me some tips? What is the best way (or the way you prefer to do it) to organize your photo’s in Aperture. I am a bit afraid that once i have started to go one way it will be difficult to change the structure when there are a couple of thousands pictures in it. So I want to nail it from the first time grin

[ Edited: 28 April 2010 10:09 AM by N.L. ]

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 10 May 2010 08:28 AM #2

I guess that the AFB is the only board active on TMO grin
    well….at least we tried ...

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 17 June 2010 06:31 PM #3

Just bought photoshop and after effects plus light room. Spent so much money.

Posted: 08 July 2010 11:34 PM #4

N.L. - 28 April 2010 01:06 PM

Ok, here we go…

I just bought Aperture and used Iphoto before. So Aperture is all new for me. But the first, obvious, question is: how will I manage/organize my photo’s?  Anyone who can give me some tips? What is the best way (or the way you prefer to do it) to organize your photo’s in Aperture. I am a bit afraid that once i have started to go one way it will be difficult to change the structure when there are a couple of thousands pictures in it. So I want to nail it from the first time grin

Personally I would use Aperture with referenced images that reside on the same hard drive as the library and are in folders that are named by date ( 2010-07-08 ) plus a descriptor. This is to future proof your organization system in case you decide to drop Aperture or it is dropped for you smile . I don’t rename the original files so that relocating them is easy although the original name is kept in metadata I believe ( try try shift cmd option i )  in Pshop for all sorts of info). Obviously you want to have a backup of the files and Aperture.
    I prefer to sharpen in Pshop but it may be that I don’t really know how to trust / get the best out of Apertures two sharpening algorhythms.

[ Edited: 08 July 2010 11:38 PM by Bryanyc ]      
  • Posted: 11 July 2010 04:39 PM #5

To help spur discussion I’ll pose a few more specific questions (which some people have already answered…)

Which software do you use for photo organization?
    Which software do you use for photo editing? (if you organize one app but use a different external editor)
    Which camera do you have?
    Which lenses do you have (if DSLR)?
    Canon vs. Nikon vs. insert our favorite brand here?
    If you have a page on Flickr, SmugMug, Picasa, etc. or a portfolio site, share a link!

Feel free to add your own questions…

[ Edited: 11 July 2010 04:41 PM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 11 July 2010 04:47 PM #6

My quick set of answers to my own questions…

I use Aperture for organization and editing.

My camera is a Canon 1Ds mark II and I also have an iPhone 4 which I am finding takes pretty decent photos.

My two primary lenses are the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and the Canon 70-200mm f/4L.

I like Canon but to be fair have hardly touched anything from Nikon, because I don’t have any local friends who use Nikon DSLR equipment to try out.

My Flickr page is here, though the very latest stuff is not a good sampling of my best work. (A lot of it is iPhone 4 test shots, etc. smile)

• Posted: 10 August 2010 12:23 AM #7

Just perusing the forums and noticed this thread has not received much attention…

Last week I picked up a couple new Canon lenses: 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2.8 Macro. I haven’t had many opportunities to play with the 100 yet, but the 50 yields beautiful results. I have hardly used anything else since I first put it on my camera!

Still on my wishlist is the 17-40mm f/4L or a wide-angle prime. It’s not a pressing need (this is primarily a hobby, after all) but I really would like to have something that goes wider than 28mm.

[ Edited: 10 August 2010 12:42 AM by David Nelson ]