Thoughts on Flash - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 29 April 2010 10:39 AM

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Posted: 29 April 2010 10:49 AM #1

Plenty of reasons there.  Lots of sans-serif there. 

However, I don’t see this as a knockout blow yet.

• Posted: 29 April 2010 11:53 AM #2

Once again Apple states the plain unadorned truth, and doubtless the world will try and make it into an all-opinions-are-valid drama.

It was an update for me to learn that Mac is still half of Adobe’s CS sales. Scandalous how they’ve still treated Mac as a second class platform for nearly 15 years.

Posted: 29 April 2010 11:56 AM #3

sleepygeek - 29 April 2010 02:53 PM

It was an update for me to learn that Mac is still half of Adobe’s CS sales. Scandalous how they’ve still treated Mac as a second class platform for nearly 15 years.

I think that is what Adobe is trying to use as leverage to move Apple to using Flash.  Apple of course says “It’s half of your sales, it’s like 10% of our sales”.

Posted: 29 April 2010 12:56 PM #4

“Letters from Steve” are always good reads.

And actually, quite effective, in my recollection.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 April 2010 01:08 PM #5

What sensible person would argue against this?

Our motivation is simple ? we want to provide the most advanced and innovative platform to our developers, and we want them to stand directly on the shoulders of this platform and create the best apps the world has ever seen. We want to continually enhance the platform so developers can create even more amazing, powerful, fun and useful applications. Everyone wins ? we sell more devices because we have the best apps, developers reach a wider and wider audience and customer base, and users are continually delighted by the best and broadest selection of apps on any platform.

Great, well-reasoned piece. I wonder if it would have helped if it was penned two years ago.

Signature

"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"

Posted: 29 April 2010 01:14 PM #6

It wouldn’t.  No one ever listens to dispatches from the Gestapo of the tech industry.  wink

That’s the prevailing theory anyway, disproven time and time again.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 April 2010 01:19 PM #7

AS soon as my brother (Adobe user and Flash developer) puts up a rebuttal against some of what Steve said I will post a summary here. Not sure when he will have it up though.

Posted: 29 April 2010 06:15 PM #8

$Billyall - 29 April 2010 04:19 PM

AS soon as my brother (Adobe user and Flash developer) puts up a rebuttal against some of what Steve said I will post a summary here. Not sure when he will have it up though.

Some exerts have been posted at Mac rumors.

Edit: Exerts from Adobe’s response. Not your brother of course.  grin

Posted: 29 April 2010 07:51 PM #9

$Billyall - 29 April 2010 04:19 PM

Read SJ’s letter.  Where is your brother’s rebuttal?

Anyone not comfortable that Apple doesn’t like cross platform tools?  This thinking extend to cross platform apps.  Many apps especially games don’t work that well on Mac, some are available later than Windows.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 29 April 2010 08:44 PM #10

Mace - 29 April 2010 10:51 PM

Anyone not comfortable that Apple doesn’t like cross platform tools?  This thinking extend to cross platform apps.  Many apps especially games don’t work that well on Mac, some are available later than Windows.

Yep. I am perfectly comfortable that Apple doesn’t like cross platform tools. The reason why both the games don’t work well on the Mac and why they appear later is precisely this reason. Big developers are taking the PC code and just wrapping them in a cut down version of wine so that they are running under emulation now that the Macs are Intel based.

So instead of game companies writing to the way that the Mac uses it’s hardware we get crap versions that kind of run and are seen as a way of earning extra money off the back of a product that has already earned it’s money back. What we got are the VHS release after both the cinema and DVD releases to mop up the last bit of money they didn’t get in the first and second runs.

Blizzard can do it properly and well serve the Mac community. Bungie used to be able to do it. Now were just being nickel and dimed by the awful marketing companies that distribute games.

If they do it right they deserve our money - if they just produce stuff that runs that doesn’t make use of what makes the Mac a Mac then why bother? Follow this forward and apply it to Flash - all the stuff that would have been produced by a Flash cross-platform tool would have been set at the worst level that it could develop for ie instead of aiming high with an app they would aim for the lowest common denominator and I for one am sick of bland, boring and frankly lazy programmers.

Signature

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:13 PM #11

Mace - 29 April 2010 10:51 PM

Where is your brother’s rebuttal?

He is traveling and meeting with clients but he said on twitter he would post something on hist site when he had time, may be a few days though.

• Posted: 29 April 2010 09:28 PM #12

artman1033 - 30 April 2010 12:03 AM

200,000 aps!!!!!

ADOBE responds!

You missed the comment from the editor in the comments section:

3:13 pm April 29, 2010
    EDITOR COMMENT:
    Jennifer Valentino-DeVries wrote:

Hi, everyone. Thanks for commenting. Alan Murray did begin going through each point in Mr. Jobs?s letter, and Mr. Narayan said that he was not going to address things point by point and that the technology complaints were what he called a ?smokescreen.? The full video of the interview will be up on the site later, but we wanted to get this live blog of highlights to you while the interview was taking place at Adobe.

And of course the classic:

Speaking about Mr. Jobs?s assertion that Adobe is the No. 1 cause of Mac crashes, Mr. Narayan says if Adobe crashes Apple, that actually has something ?to do with the Apple operating system.?

Signature

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:55 PM #13

It’s the OS’s fault that your program written for it crashes.  Right.

I can tell you that certain _PCs_ I’ve worked on over the years have gotten all kinds of crashy and unstable, and the only likely culprit was none other than Flash.  Now you could say it’s Microsoft’s fault raspberry, but c’mon…

Flash runs faster on PCs but that doesn’t mean there’s no risk of system slowdowns and browser crashes.  There is, and when the crash does happen, it’s plain as day what the cause is.

Adapt or fail, Adobe.  It’s that simple.  At the very least, your endless complaining isn’t doing anything constructive.  No one but the deluded (granted, there’s quite a few of ‘em) buy your “Adobe is open, Apple’s support of JavaScript+CSS+HTML5 is closed” garbage.  Jobs nailed it - proprietary is proprietary.  Ubiquity has nothing to do with it.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 April 2010 11:13 PM #14

Adobe has given up pursuing Apple’s mobile products:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2010/04/moving_forward.html

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:12 AM #15

Whatever, Adobe.

Make something compelling first, then we’ll see.  Like Apple, I’m still waiting.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.