How Important is Flash to You?

Poll: How Important is Flash to Your Internet Activity?
Total Votes: 93
I can’t live without Flash.
I don’t like Flash, but the sites I visit require it.
I selectively block Flash content.
Flash? Not on my computer.

Posted: 07 May 2010 04:29 PM #31

I would need Flash in all it’s forms on an iPad before I would consider buying one.

I have a desktop for work (3d, broadcast animation, video, art), but it’s tethered. I have an iPhone for keeping contact away from that computer, but I can’t do actual work on it.  The laptop is the space between: When I’m at home, I do view flash games and animations on it. When I’m on the road, I need to use Flash Professional on it.

The iPad would need to replace the laptop for me to consider buying one. Without Flash, I’m better off buying a netbook.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 21 May 2010 02:15 AM #32

For those who say that Flash is critical, it would be interesting to see the types of sites they visit compared to where others go. I have an iPhone, iPad, and a MacBook where Flash is blocked. I don’t miss anything except annoying animated ads. No site that I visit needs Flash, period.

Posted: 24 May 2010 02:11 PM #33

David Nelson - 21 May 2010 05:15 AM

No site that I visit needs Flash, period.

NewGrounds, NeoPets, Webkinz, Armor Games off the top of my head. A number of image boards feature short independent animations in Flash as well.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 25 May 2010 12:30 PM #34

KitsuneStudios - 24 May 2010 05:11 PM
    David Nelson - 21 May 2010 05:15 AM

No site that I visit needs Flash, period.

NewGrounds, NeoPets, Webkinz, Armor Games off the top of my head. A number of image boards feature short independent animations in Flash as well.

True, most web-based games require Flash, and many video sites still do. But that is starting to change.

Personally I consider it a blessing to not have Flash. When people send me links to random videos via IM, I don’t have to come up with an excuse to not watch them. smile

[ Edited: 25 May 2010 12:35 PM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 27 July 2010 07:30 AM #35

You might just be lucky… numerous websites I regularly visit had big flash ads covering the whole browser (ie playing a video in the background). Such flash videos alway power out 100% of my cpu, make my Mac real loud and sometimes if I have loads of tabs opened make the browser crash.

Signature

Those signatures are great.