MSFT cancels Courier tablet project

Posted: 29 April 2010 05:16 PM

Another piece of vaporware lost in the wind lol

Microsoft cancels its ‘Courier’ tablet:
    http://bit.ly/c6ub91

“Microsoft has ceased development on the Courier, a two-screen tablet computer the company hoped would compete with Apple’s iPad.
    Gizmodo reports, “Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer informed the internal team that had been working on the tablet device that the project would no longer be supported. Courier had never been officially announced or acknowledged as a Microsoft product.”
    Details coming?”

Posted: 29 April 2010 05:46 PM #1

This somewhat saddens me if only that it shows the continued problems within Microsoft. I guess that flagship has finally shifted to Apple.

$Billyall - 29 April 2010 08:16 PM

Another piece of vaporware lost in the wind lol

Microsoft cancels its ‘Courier’ tablet:
    http://bit.ly/c6ub91

“Microsoft has ceased development on the Courier, a two-screen tablet computer the company hoped would compete with Apple’s iPad.
    Gizmodo reports, “Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer informed the internal team that had been working on the tablet device that the project would no longer be supported. Courier had never been officially announced or acknowledged as a Microsoft product.”
    Details coming?”

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 April 2010 05:52 PM #2

Could someone remind me how you cancel vapourware?

On a serious note it looks like Microsoft attempted their usual run around the corral only to find it wasn’t working.

It looks like their FUD driven project couldn’t keep the customers away from the iPad so they have decided to just give up.

Amazing.

Signature

• Posted: 29 April 2010 07:51 PM #3

Agree with others that this was typical MSFT vapour ...

I do think that Apple’s iPad starting price ($499) threw a serious wrench into most competitor’s plans ... ie. copy as much as you can and make it cheaper

Posted: 29 April 2010 07:53 PM #4

rattyuk - 29 April 2010 08:52 PM

... vapourware?

You’re a British?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 29 April 2010 08:33 PM #5

Mace - 29 April 2010 10:53 PM

... vapourware?

You’re a British?

I thought the UK might have been a clue.

Signature

• Posted: 30 April 2010 02:40 AM #6

Derrick - 29 April 2010 10:51 PM

Agree with others that this was typical MSFT vapour ...

I do think that Apple’s iPad starting price ($499) threw a serious wrench into most competitor’s plans ... ie. copy as much as you can and make it cheaper

You have a good point. Many were expecting the iPad to debut at a starting price of $899 or $999, leaving the field wide open for lower margin product.

There will be no intended competition for the iPad released in CY 2010. Apple has a wide open market through the holidays.

• Posted: 30 April 2010 12:02 PM #7

I’m waiting for an iPod touch version of iPad. Call it iPad mini if you like.

WiFi+3G in the smaller size would be very nice.

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:14 PM #8

rattyuk - 29 April 2010 11:33 PM
    Mace - 29 April 2010 10:53 PM

... vapourware?

You’re a British?

I thought the UK might have been a clue.

I thought that the suffix was yuk smile

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:22 PM #9

I was sorry to see this was just another MS FUD device. I like the book form better than a tablet. It protects the screens better when closed than the iPad and it seems like it would be more natural as a book reader device. Of course it had serious faults, a stylus, another different MS-OS. Overall I liked the concept though.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 30 April 2010 02:08 PM #10

More competitors bowing out:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/confirmed-lgs-moorestown-based-gw990-wont-be-made/

Posted: 30 April 2010 02:25 PM #11

Derrick - 30 April 2010 05:08 PM

More competitors bowing out:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/confirmed-lgs-moorestown-based-gw990-wont-be-made/

a comment from the link.

Microsoft probably killed it because it was one of their ambitious designs that people were talking too seriously, you can find a lot of other cool concepts they made on youtube.
    As for LG and hp, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, x86 has no place in portable computing, hell it probably wouldn’t still be so prevalent in the desktop market if it wasn’t for Windows, with the iPad, like it or not, Apple showed that a specially designed OS on an ARM platform, gives the end user an affordable and fast tablet with hours of battery life, hp was smart to kill the sure to be disappointment and focus on webOS, now we just wait for JooJoo to die it’s slow death

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 30 April 2010 09:36 PM #12

Could someone remind me how you cancel vapourware?

Rattyuk knows how an MS/BS watch ticks. I think that one line sums up the whole Courier project. Somewhere between a smokescreen and a “hey, me too!” project. I’m thinking Steve Jobs smartly decided long ago that Apple would only demonstrate products that ship tomorrow, rather than something in development that would likely arrive quite different from the concept.

And just for what it’s worth, in my mind I had always pronounced your user name “ratty-uck”. smile

I’m somewhat with you, Geoduck. Was interested in a folding screen/book format, even if their UI in the demo did not look very intuitive.

Posted: 30 April 2010 10:10 PM #13

xmattingly - 01 May 2010 12:36 AM

And just for what it’s worth, in my mind I had always pronounced your user name “ratty-uck”. smile

I was pleasantly surprised when I registered here at The MacObserver that I could have upper and lower case characters as well as spaces in my login/handle. So many blogs and other web accounts do not allow such formatting.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 01 May 2010 01:44 PM #14

To the extent MS intended Courier to compete with iPad, it was bound to be shelved by MS.  Windows OS and Office are the primary profit centers for MS these days and things are not looking so good for either, long-range. 

To Apple users of the iPad, the operating system is nearly invisible and the apps are running at free to nearly-free.  MS would have been met with consumer demand for an “Office-light” featuring a touch UI.  The expectation by users, created in part by Apple’s $9.95 pricing for Word and Spreadsheet apps, would make it difficult to sell Office for much more. 

Frankly, an Office-light is ALL most people would use anyway—both Word and Excel are far more feature-rich than most people need.  So MS can’t sell a tablet OS because Apple doesn’t for the iPad, and MS can’t afford to drain off the profit of Office from both the re-engineering costs of a touch UI and sell it for $50 or less.

Finally, MS doesn’t want to make an Office-light version for the PC or any tablet, because so many would resist paying the huge premium for unused features of any “professional” version.  I understand there’s a Home and Professional version of Office, but the starting price is nowhere near $50 and the differences between them aren’t that significant, in my experience.

I don’t envy MS’ current business model.  No wonder Mr. Ballmer has the appearance of a weary leader when he makes an appearance at a local Starbucks I frequent.