Publishing on the iPad

Posted: 30 April 2010 04:54 PM

I have a few books I’ve written that I’d like to publish as e-books. I was going to push them out to Kindle. Amazon has a program for self publishing and there is a Kindle app for the iPad and Mac so it would work. However I’m hesitating. As I’m not incorporated they want to identify my account with my SSN, which bothers me, a lot.

I’d love to see my books appearing in the iBookStore or somehow getting onto the iPad but I have no idea how to do it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can go about publishing to the iPad?

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 03 May 2010 11:24 AM #1

Well, I’m a small game publisher (http://www.ssdc.com), and we’re thinking of doing the same, though it looks like because of what we primarily make (graphic heavy RPGs) we’ll have to stick with producing locked PDFs. But we have some short stories and a client that published poetry books through us, and we’re gonna give those a whirl in iBooks first, since it has a smaller catalog and our niche items may stand out more.

If you are thinking of charging for your work, I would highly recommend getting incorporated. It doesn’t cost much, and it provides a lot of tax protections and other legal benefits. I’d probably set up an LLC at the minimum. I think legalzoom.com even has incorporation documents to make it cheaper. Then you are just sending out your TaxID number which is less personally invasive. I’m sure they want the SSN for IRS reporting purposes.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 03 May 2010 12:25 PM #2

FlipFriddle - 03 May 2010 02:24 PM

But we have some short stories and a client that published poetry books through us, and we’re gonna give those a whirl in iBooks first, since it has a smaller catalog and our niche items may stand out more.

That’s part of my rational too. It seems like a perfect combination: Over a million of iPads sold and a fairly limited catalogue. I want to get in on that. How does one publish to iBooks? I don’t know where to start. Amazon wasn’t ideal but I was able to find out how to self publish with them.

[ Edited: 03 May 2010 12:28 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

• Posted: 03 May 2010 02:57 PM #3

Well, iBooks uses the ePub format, which InDesign (supposedly) is set up to export too.I’m going to experiment with the poetry book we have in our catalog and try it. ePub and Kindle and the like are definitely for novels and other non-graphic or layout intensive publications. I tried our game books which had loads of art and tables and stuff and running it through the Kindle tool just wrecked them. At work, we are trying to turn our alumni magazine into an ePub doc, because our current work flow includes having all of the text tagged in InDesign for ease of transferring it to the web. Since ePub and Kindle basically are just rendering xhtml, this has helped with that. I’ll keep you posted on how I make out. Please let me know how you do if it takes me longer than I think (I have a 6mo old and it’s home improvement season so my time is escaping rapidly). :)

Signature

Posted: 03 May 2010 03:07 PM #4

Cool, Thanks. I’ll look at converting my stuff to ePub, I wasn’t liking how my stuff was looking in HTML which Kindle demands anyway.

The next question, and in some ways the more basic one is this. Once I have my book(s) saved in ePub format, how do I get them into the iBookstore?

Signature

• Posted: 03 May 2010 04:53 PM #5

That I don’t know, but I need to look into it so I’ll check and get back to you.

Signature

• Posted: 03 May 2010 05:07 PM #6

This is a bit disappointing but I found this thread on the Apple site:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2419676&tstart=0

It looks like you can make your own ePub however you want but to have it sold through iBooks you have to send it through an approved publisher, who naturally takes their cut. You can always sell them yourself someplace and just provide instructions for people to get it on their iPad.

I have to look into this more.

Signature

Posted: 11 May 2010 10:40 AM #7

Yesterday I came across a company called Lulu
    http://www.lulu.com/
    that just announced that they will publish to the iBookstore. I don’t know the details, or for that matter much of anything about them, yet but it’s one possibility.

On the thread above there was a mention of LightningSource
    http://www.lightningsource.com/
    that is another aggregator that is approved to publish to the iBookstore. On the thread it’s mentioned that they seem to take a 64% cut. As I understand it Lulu takes 20%. If all this is true Lulu looks better. But the devil is in the details.

[ Edited: 11 May 2010 10:47 AM by geoduck ]

Signature

• Posted: 13 May 2010 03:13 PM #8

We used to use LightningSource for short run printing but their quality was terrible (that was a few years ago though). I think I’m going to look into Lulu as well.

Signature

• Posted: 25 July 2010 11:17 AM #9

PDF to ePub Converter can convert eBooks from PDF to EPUB format, so you can read eBooks more easily on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader or other eBook Readers.

It supports batch conversion and support most popular html/text and image formats to ePub format like HTML, XML, SHTML, TEXT, JPG, GIF, PNG etc