Closing the Politics Forums

Posted: 05 May 2010 04:48 PM

Hey folks,  just a quick note to announce we’re closing the politics forum.

When we created it, we needed an outlet for our members to talk about things outside the realm of Apple and the Mac, but we don’t think that’s needed any more. Accordingly, we ask that religious and political discussions get taken to more appropriate venues. smile

[ Edited: 17 May 2011 07:50 PM by Intruder ]

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 06 May 2010 05:02 AM #1

This may be my last post here. I’ll keep up with DT’s blog. What a dumbass !!!

Posted: 06 May 2010 06:37 AM #2

Bryan Chaffin - 05 May 2010 07:48 PM

Hey folks,  just a quick note to announce we’re closing the politics forum. [...]  ...we don’t think that’s needed any more.

What do your *users* think? Best talk to Dave Hamilton…

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 09 May 2010 08:52 AM #3

The deleted posts were a two year record of how completely wrong headed progressive ideas are. The recent liberal approaches to social, scientific and ethical issues have been shown to be vacuous in content and dangerous in implementation. Removal of that record adds another adjective,  gutless.

• Posted: 11 May 2010 10:59 AM #4

What makes you think there is no longer a need (ie: desire - as there never was a “need” for any of this) for political discussions outside Apple Corp. issues without having to go elsewhere?

Bad move.  I am disappointed.

Signature

“Everything in excess!  To really enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.  Moderation is for monks.” -Lazarus Long

Posted: 09 June 2010 03:39 AM #5

danthemason - 09 May 2010 11:52 AM

The deleted posts were a two year record of how completely wrong headed progressive ideas are. The recent liberal approaches to social, scientific and ethical issues have been shown to be vacuous in content and dangerous in implementation. Removal of that record adds another adjective,  gutless.

And an Apple website is possibly the worst choice for keeping such a record. Really.

I’m sure you can request a copy of the lost discussions and publish them yourself, if they are so dear to you.

As for closing the politics forum, well… can’t say I’m too surprised. To be honest, I’m not quite sure why most of the TMO forums are still around at all, considering how little activity there is.

Posted: 21 June 2010 12:16 PM #6

danthemason - 09 May 2010 11:52 AM

The deleted posts were a two year record of how completely wrong headed progressive ideas are.

Good call Bryan.

I stopped visiting any Political forum BBB or discussion site including TMOs a while ago. The reason is simple: there is no such thing any longer as discussion and discourse in the West. There are Progressives that are generally right on nearly everything, have the scientific, and other data to back up their position, but are willing to discuss the possibility and consider other opinions. Then there are Conservatives that are usually wrong but that’s irrelevant because they just refuse to believe the facts, won’t put forth any cogent arguments, rather, as above, they and resort to name calling. I tired of the pointlessness of trying to have a discussion with a side that won’t discuss politely or rationally.

I had some fun on the Political Forums, but all good things must pass.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 21 June 2010 03:50 PM #7

Wow. Just wow.

This sort of “I’m always right and you’re always wrong” position is exactly why they are closed. Same with the labeling.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 21 June 2010 11:17 PM #8

Yeah that’s what I was going for.
    Not sure if the satire came through that well though.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 21 June 2010 11:22 PM #9

You got it through!  wink

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 04 July 2010 01:39 PM #10

Oh the wit. The claims of reason, the plea to the blind to just accept facts, the obvious truth. It remains entertaining to converse with such objective reason when you, yourself are penalized by genetic defects of character and personality. I blunder on.