Coverage of the Gulf Oil Spill

Posted: 08 May 2010 01:27 AM

The CEO of BP is on site and answering question from a reporter who has no idea of what is going on. The responses from the CEO are impressive. Why can’t these people get it, this has never happened before and the probability was extremely low. This also goes with what I put into the political thread, reporters, shut up and get out of the way. It will be time to talk compensation when the oil spill is contained. A reporter wants answers, fcuk him.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T2

It is no wonder this news channel has lost viewers over the years. To think that they were the only ones just 10 years ago.

[Title changed by DT per request]

[ Edited: 08 May 2010 03:39 PM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 08 May 2010 02:25 AM #1

You whine alot for a right leaning guy.  Does this have to be a separate topic?

I thought this is an Apple forum, not a place to vent personal issues.

Signature

Mully

Posted: 08 May 2010 11:25 AM #2

mbmullin - 08 May 2010 05:25 AM

You whine alot for a right leaning guy.  Does this have to be a separate topic?

I thought this is an Apple forum, not a place to vent personal issues.

Look chick, you did not have to open the topic or read it, it would have slid down the list into obscurity. I will compare whining notes with you later. The story is one of the biggest in history and CNN is trying to pigeonhole the CEO while he is trying to solve the problem.  As is usual you come after me with your lame ass comments, fuck you!

Signature

Posted: 08 May 2010 12:01 PM #3

LOL

Take a deep breath Mark.  The libs are salivating over this misfortune.  They would love to see oil go to $200 a barrel so we can all get on the bus.

It will all pass. The summer of discontent is what we will call May 2010.

Posted: 08 May 2010 04:49 PM #4

This is bad news, the container had to be taken off.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/08/effort-to-place-dome-over-oil-well-dealt-setback-bp-says/?hpt=T1

Signature

• Posted: 08 May 2010 06:50 PM #5

Only one fiftieth the size of Ixtoc 1 so far?

• Posted: 08 May 2010 09:23 PM #6

omacvi - 08 May 2010 03:01 PM

LOL

Take a deep breath Mark.  The libs are salivating over this misfortune.  They would love to see oil go to $200 a barrel so we can all get on the bus.

Your spot on .. I guess us Libs are just wrong about the hazards of off shore drilling.

DRILL BABY DRILL !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.

Posted: 08 May 2010 11:22 PM #7

Gtrplyr - 09 May 2010 12:23 AM
    omacvi - 08 May 2010 03:01 PM

LOL

Your spot on .. I guess us Libs are just wrong about the hazards of off shore drilling.

DRILL BABY DRILL !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.

What us conservatives would like to hear are solutions. All I hear is that we need to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. Nobody has said anything about there not being hazards to off shore drilling. Of course there is, that is why engineers work for years to build devices that are not suppose to fail.

Is that all you got “Nuff said”, what does that mean? What would you do if you had the power? That response is so typical “lib”, you don’t say anything of substance, but feel that you got your point across. What is your point?

Signature

• Posted: 09 May 2010 12:08 AM #8

What would I do ?

I’d first off RESTRICT sales of cars that get less than 20 miles to the gallon ... yes very un-American of me huh ?  Loads of rich people will say ” I’ll be happy to pay the $5 a gallon .. how dare you take away my choice of car ”  Well I’m sure they can afford it ... I’m also sure they are probably not enlisting and being sent overseas to give up their lives in a shithole (no disrespect to Iraq but I doubt it’s a very fun place to live right now) of a country so we can have cheap gas.  I’d wager further that their kids are not going over there either.

I’d also provide BIG tax credits to any business or individual that switches over to solar energy.  I realize it is being done but I’ve also heard many a conservative laugh at this plan.  My mother-in-law is off the grid , the local Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank also went solar.  BTW ,  Carter ..yes Carter installed solar panels in the white house ... that BASTARD Reagan PULLED THEM OUT !!!!  Talk about “creating” jobs ... we should convert EVERY government vehicle .. it will pay off in the long run.

I’d FORCE the auto companies to manufacture a minimum of electric/hybrid cars by 2012 ....  California was going to require them to do something like this until they bought off the legislature and convinced them it would be impractical .... look how well their business practices worked out ???  Toyota and Honda are years ahead of them.

We can’t drill our way out of this ... it’s a fact.  Yet during the election that was a conservative mantra “DRILL BABY DRILL”  ... such a short sighted vision .. we are now seeing just how dangerous this can be. 

I wish I had more answers .. I’d admit I don’t but I’ve seen NO effort for a energy policy that makes sense by ANY president after Carter.  Say what you want about him .. he spelled it out in the 70’s and freaking nailed it.  I’m damming the Democrats as well with this ... they have done no better.  Obama really let me down with his statement giving in regarding drilling a few weeks ago .. talk about bad timing. 

I’m hoping we all learn something and are willing to make sacrifices for a real change.  My post was a reaction to sponge’s post regarding “libs” ... maybe we should all “get on the bus”.  For this to work we will all need to suffer a little bit ... rich or poor.

Posted: 09 May 2010 01:45 AM #9

Gtrplyr - 09 May 2010 03:08 AM

What would I do ?

I’d first off RESTRICT sales of cars that get less than 20 miles to the gallon ... yes very un-American of me huh ?  Loads of rich people will say ” I’ll be happy to pay the $5 a gallon .. how dare you take away my choice of car ”  Well I’m sure they can afford it ... I’m also sure they are probably not enlisting and being sent overseas to give up their lives in a shithole (no disrespect to Iraq but I doubt it’s a very fun place to live right now) of a country so we can have cheap gas.  I’d wager further that their kids are not going over there either.

I’d also provide BIG tax credits to any business or individual that switches over to solar energy.  I realize it is being done but I’ve also heard many a conservative laugh at this plan.  My mother-in-law is off the grid , the local Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank also went solar.  BTW ,  Carter ..yes Carter installed solar panels in the white house ... that BASTARD Reagan PULLED THEM OUT !!!!  Talk about “creating” jobs ... we should convert EVERY government vehicle .. it will pay off in the long run.

I’d FORCE the auto companies to manufacture a minimum of electric/hybrid cars by 2012 ....  California was going to require them to do something like this until they bought off the legislature and convinced them it would be impractical .... look how well their business practices worked out ???  Toyota and Honda are years ahead of them.

We can’t drill our way out of this ... it’s a fact.  Yet during the election that was a conservative mantra “DRILL BABY DRILL”  ... such a short sighted vision .. we are now seeing just how dangerous this can be. 

I wish I had more answers .. I’d admit I don’t but I’ve seen NO effort for a energy policy that makes sense by ANY president after Carter.  Say what you want about him .. he spelled it out in the 70’s and freaking nailed it.  I’m damming the Democrats as well with this ... they have done no better.  Obama really let me down with his statement giving in regarding drilling a few weeks ago .. talk about bad timing. 

I’m hoping we all learn something and are willing to make sacrifices for a real change.  My post was a reaction to sponge’s post regarding “libs” ... maybe we should all “get on the bus”.  For this to work we will all need to suffer a little bit ... rich or poor.

I will address your first statement, I did not think you were American, I thought you were from India? One hole in your “rich” theory. If I was to give serious thought to what you propose, my conclusion would be that “rich” people drive newer cars that easily get over 20 mpg. Now the poorer folks in your theory who are stuck in an older car are screwed. Just how many cars do you think get less than 20 mpg? Its not many. (Hell, my corvette get 26) The only vehicles I can think of that get less than 20 are trucks and SUV’s. People in the south either have one or the other.

You are very uninformed about Iraq. Most of the US forces will be out by the end of this year. We have rebuilt so much over there that the transformation is astounding. You will not see this in your media sources because it shows that Iraq is a success. Sadam gassed 100,000 of his own people, I am sorry, that alone was enough to go in. The end run was to surround Iran. Of course the “libs” would shit their pants if they knew the truth. Obama sent more troops to Afghanistan. Right now Iran is the most dangerous country.

Now to converting every government vehicle. Bad plan. It would be cheaper to just buy new vehicles.

Now on to Carter, he is from Georgia and is unwelcome here. The worst president in the history of the US. That debate is for another day.

Going off grid. You are kind of leaving some things out. I have looked into installing solar panels to supply my house. There is a huge tax incentive to do this for a while longer. What you are leaving out is the cost and the fact that if you do not live in the southern part of the US, solar is not worth the investment.

My solution is a two bagger. You worry about oil (I don’t, there is enough to last for a couple of hundred years if needed), I worry about water. Hydro electric is the cleanest most efficient way of generating power. Here is the best part, it also creates fresh water drinking supplies. Atlanta is in trouble now because a federal judge ruled that it was more important for the mussels in Florida to have fresh water than the citizens of Atlanta. Lake lanier is a huge reservoir which supplies water/power. Water will not be allowed to be drawn out of the lake for the humans.

BTW, thanks for giving an actual reply.

You do have me confused, surely you are not talking about converting vehicles to solar power.

Signature

• Posted: 09 May 2010 02:03 AM #10

two words.. NAT GAS.

• Posted: 09 May 2010 03:32 AM #11

1)  I’m Indian-American ... born and raised in this country.  Not sure how it’s relevant but for the record.

2)  Yes I realize that many cars get over 20mph , my point is to get rid of SUV’s and large trucks for non-commercial uses.  We can easily adjust with smaller vehicles , even families.  Originally I wanted to say under 30 ...  but getting rid of all of those stupid Hummers and Escalades would be a nice start (BTW, Many of my family members drive those monsters .... I wish they didn’t but ...)

3)  I didn’t mean to actually “convert” ... bad choice of words on my part .. basically get rid of the old and get new fuel efficient cars and trucks for government usage.  Burbank just got their first hydrogen powered bus and many cities have switched to alternate fuel for city vehicles.

4)  Your opinion not withstanding, Carter is the ONLY President that actually seemed to understand the gravity of this country’s energy crisis and how it affects our foreign policy.  It has been the single biggest factor ... and a detriment to this country’s security. 

5)  WE do NOT have hundreds of years of oil available ... this country is DEPENDENT on others for it’s oil needs ... I don’t understand how you can make that statement without understanding the implications involved.

6)  I live in Southern CA and grew up in Texas ... both states would be ideal for solar power.  Once again your reply is confusing.  It is not important that we get ALL of our power from solar but if the country used it to supplement our existing sources we would reduce the burden greatly.  To simply “run the numbers” as to it’s profitability is a huge mistake that leaves out the additional “cost” of our current policy ... which brings me to ..

7)  Blaming Obama for sending troops to Afghanistan is ludicrous ... he didn’t start this mess but has to deal with it.  Sorry but that is simply fact.  As to Iraq, I don’t want to live there and I doubt you would be very happy there as well .  More importantly , it troubles me that people (mostly very young men and women)  actually went there and got killed for no reason other than to protect our need for cheap oil.  Most were also not from the upper middle class ... how many members of congress had family there ?  Not many.  I’m not slagging the military here just pointing out that many of the elite in our society are putting the burden on those less fortunate. 

This stance on our dependence on oil should not be a political argument .... I think we can all agree that it causes more problems than it’s worth ... hopefully we can all learn from what’s about to happen to our Gulf coast region and actually do something about it.  I’m proud to say Arnold took a stance this week and simply said the added revenue it would bring to California, and we sure need it, was simply not worth the risk ... Bravo ... Rambo.  Meanwhile, instead of discussing these points in our previous election all we heard from some was “Drill baby Drill” ....  pathetic.

Good night

[ Edited: 09 May 2010 03:37 AM by Gtrplyr ]      
  • Posted: 09 May 2010 09:24 AM #12

Drill Baby Drill!

The ability to interact, learn, travel, create and thrive as a culture has been and will be dependent on harnessing and using energy. Technology will take us to renewables, someday.

A big failure of this government for 20 years has been ignoring the key aspects of cheap energy.

• Posted: 09 May 2010 09:54 AM #13

artman1033 - 09 May 2010 12:47 PM

Did someone say OIL SPILL?

THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT!

But it costs $1,500,000,000.00

Posted: 09 May 2010 02:05 PM #14

Gtrplyr - 09 May 2010 03:08 AM

What would I do ?

I’d first off RESTRICT sales of cars that get less than 20 miles to the gallon ... yes very un-American of me huh ?  Loads of rich people will say ” I’ll be happy to pay the $5 a gallon.

As well as everybody who needs a truck to work for a living. Here in Minnesota, we’ll happily charge you more money for the ore needed to build your 20+ mpg car. Oh, and we’ll charge you more for the lumber you need for your housing. And we’ll charge you more for your food. Moreover, we’ll congratulate your recklessness for driving in the winter without an all-wheel drive vehicle after you get stuck (once stuck, if it is snowing and if you cannot see where you need to walk to, stay in your car?people die here from exposure).

That said, gas pricing, whatever it may be is unlikely to effect my neighborhood. In fact, the most annoying thing about high gas prices is that many credit cards have a $75.00 pump limit. This means that when somebody from my neighborhood fills up his or her truck, the pump stops halfway at $75.00 and we need to reset the pump and start a new transaction in order to fill the truck all the way up.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 09 May 2010 02:09 PM #15

irieblue - 09 May 2010 05:03 AM

two words.. NAT GAS.

Nat gas is a no-brainer. But first, let us use up all of the oil.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.