Coverage of the Gulf Oil Spill

Posted: 08 July 2010 10:53 AM #241

MacCube - 08 July 2010 01:24 PM

Good news for those holding ESPH.

Ecosphere Technologies and Mid-Gulf Recovery Sign Contract to Help BP Treat Wastewater During Gulf Cleanup
    Ecosphere’s Ozonix Process Selected by Mid-Gulf Over All Competitors

:apple:

Been quite a wild ride last few weeks eh wink
    Lots of shorts covering on this news!

Posted: 08 July 2010 10:59 AM #242

$Billyall - 08 July 2010 01:53 PM

Been quite a wild ride last few weeks eh wink
    Lots of shorts covering on this news!

Bill,  you the man!    tongue laugh

Posted: 11 July 2010 10:06 PM #243

BP is divesting its assets in the US, very smart.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580104575361282929358108.html

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 08:11 PM #244

BP capped the well (for the time being) and the oil has stopped flowing into the Gulf.

Posted: 15 July 2010 10:37 PM #245

willrob - 15 July 2010 11:11 PM

BP capped the well (for the time being) and the oil has stopped flowing into the Gulf.

This is just amazing timing to me. I am very happy though. No link, shame on you Will LOL

Signature

• Posted: 15 July 2010 11:39 PM #246

mbeauch - 16 July 2010 01:37 AM
    willrob - 15 July 2010 11:11 PM

This is just amazing timing to me. I am very happy though. No link, shame on you Will LOL

I was watching ABC news. I suppose there were links available, but I figured everyone would know it by the time I found one.

Posted: 18 July 2010 01:55 AM #247

JP, I was hoping you would give some insight as to how much oil was coming out. Now that they know what the pressure is they should be able to give a more accurate calculation of oil in the gulf. I understand that the pressure has dropped because of it being uncapped, but they should be able to get close.

What amazes me is that the beaches of Florida have not been destroyed, its a miracle. :innocent:

Signature

Posted: 18 July 2010 08:44 AM #248

mbeauch - 18 July 2010 04:55 AM

JP, I was hoping you would give some insight as to how much oil was coming out. Now that they know what the pressure is they should be able to give a more accurate calculation of oil in the gulf. I understand that the pressure has dropped because of it being uncapped, but they should be able to get close.

What amazes me is that the beaches of Florida have not been destroyed, its a miracle. :innocent:

I’m not sure anybody knows the amount of oil that came out, since we still do not know the water and gas saturation of the fluid and how they changed over time. Daily recovery has been just over 25,000 bbl/day. Cumulative oil recovered stands just above 800,000 bbl, but there is no telling just what proportion of the flow was captured.

What is really striking is the gas recovery rate, which at times has exceeded 50 million cubic feet per day. This is an unbelievably high number. If BP had been able to control the well from the outset, they would have had a major gas discovery.

Regardless, the well had apparently blown down to the point that it could be capped. Now that we know the pressures in the blowout preventer, I’m really scratching my head as to why this well was not easily contained. There is probably a good technical reason - one that should be addressed so that future spills can be contained quickly.

Here is a great resource with some actual data, including recovery rates and pressures:
    http://www.energy.gov/open/oilspilldata.htm

Posted: 20 July 2010 10:09 PM #249

The COST of Obamas offshore drilling moratorium.

The presidential offshore drilling moratorium will cost approximately US $2.1 billion in economic loss to the states along the Gulf of Mexico (GoM) in first six months, according to a recently released paper.

?The Economic Cost of a Moratorium on the Offshore Oil and Gas Exploration to the Gulf Region? was written by Dr. Joseph R. Mason, Louisiana State University endowed chair of banking and renowned economist. Mason said he estimates the moratorium will see a loss of 8,000 jobs and $500 million in lost wages in the Gulf Coast in the first six months.

?The moratorium will cost the Gulf Coast region jobs, money, and economic development,? he said. ?In fact, the moratorium could be more costly than the oil spill itself.?