Coverage of the Gulf Oil Spill

Posted: 25 May 2010 09:08 PM #61

I don’t know who wrote this but he nailed it!

Once upon a time the government had a vast junk yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said , “someone may steal from it at night..” So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job..

Then Congress said, “How does the watchman do his job without instruction?” So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time
    studies.

Then Congress said, “How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?” So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, “How are these people going to get paid?” So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, “Who will be accountable for all of these people?” So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, “We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost.”

So they laid off the night watchman.

NOW slowly?.Let it sink in.

Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter.

Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY .... during the Carter Administration?

Anybody?  Anything?  No?

Didn’t think so!

Bottom line. We’ve spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency ... the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember!

Ready?? It was very simple ... and, at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted on 8-04-1977. TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh???

AND, NOW, IT’S 2 009—32 YEARS LATER—AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS “NECESSARY” DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR.

THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND, LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE!
      THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, “WHAT WAS I THINKING?”

Ah, yes—good ole bureaucracy…

And, NOW, we are going to turn the banking system, HEALTH CARE and the auto industry over to the same Government?

Posted: 25 May 2010 09:52 PM #62

zulu - 25 May 2010 09:16 PM

Good point, well taken.  Ironic, but the environmentalists have contributed nothing but acrimony into an issue that really never should have been so politicized.  I understand that Big Oil has a lot influence in Washington.  Huge profits are great, and influence is our way of life.  We are a capitalistic society.  But big profits are no excuse for our current US government restrictions on imports of high gas mileage vehicles, favored by Americans,  which could help the average US driver break the high gas consumption habits.  Back to your point—maybe we would demand better vehicles if all of our coastal skylines were darkened by the view of wall to wall shallow water drilling rigs.  That way it would be a constant reminder of how much gas is consumed, and who is consuming it.  In addition to rigs on the skyline, maybe some safer, albeit more expensive,  drilling practices, funded by higher gas prices, would also help us break the habit, and make plug in electrics even more compelling than they already are.    Personally, I drive this great big ass 1 ton 4 x 4 around.  But only when I can’t cram all my tools into the Jetta TDI.  It gets 50 mpg and I definitely want to double that with an EV.

First off, are you talking big profits or a big profit margin? THIS is a list of profit margins by sector. It would be #23 (9.7%).  And if your company was being threatened by some insane government legislation and you knew your only hope of buying time was with the contributions that politicians crave, wouldn’t you also try and feed the beast. If it were any other arena other than government, it would be called ex-torsion.
    I’ve lived in areas that had pumping oil wells. Sorry, I didn’t see them as a blight. No more so than endless cell towers or high tension power lines. Would a forest of wind turbines be more pleasing to view. Think of the noise pollution and harm to wildlife. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the number of wind turbines needed to replace one oil well.
      Lets not forget that it is not gasoline that is leaking from the gulf floor, but unrefined crude oil. If every internal combustion engine were to stop, we would still need crude oil. The list of bi-products is in the thousands. And so where do these products come from without the extraction of crude oil from the ground?
      So you drive a big 4x4. Why? Is it because you need a large vehicle to haul heavy loads? Have you ever questioned why there are no electric semi-tractor trucks? Maybe oil is the only practical source of energy presently available today. I don’t know about you, but I really do not want anyone telling me that I can’t own a vehicle because of their view point of what I should or should not have. It is not that the american public have an affinity for high m.p.g. vehicles, but they do have a desire for transportation that fits their needs and desires. Its called the free market.  I call that freedom. (Ever question why cars get such low mileage and cost so much? Think about that for a moment.)
      No, I think it is time that the environmental movement does the right think, steps up to the plate, raises its hand and says “My Bad”.

:apple:

Posted: 25 May 2010 09:58 PM #63

zulu - 26 May 2010 12:08 AM

And, NOW, we are going to turn the banking system, HEALTH CARE and the auto industry over to the same Government?

I completely agree with you on this, except that it is not that we are Going To, but have turned these industries over to our government.  :-(

Posted: 26 May 2010 12:30 PM #64

$Billyall - 20 May 2010 01:07 PM

Apologies if this has already been posted but Kevin Costner has some tech that will hopefully help the cleanup. I always knew he really did have gills!!

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/if-you-build-it/

vid at bottom of article too.

I would think the tech that is being used in a microcap company I have mentioned a long time ago could be utilized as well at some point in the future, ESPH Ecosphere Tech. It sounds similar in the way that the impurities are separated by using centrifugal force.

Looks like ESPH is getting involved in the Gulf oil cleanup efforts afterall!

Here is a piece that ran on some news stations last night
    http://www.wpbf.com/video/23674184/index.html

Dennis McGuire, CEO and CTO of Ecosphere Technologies, said, “We are experts in treating a wide variety of flowback and produced waters for major energy producers. What makes our patented Ecosphere Ozonix technology unique over all other methods that treat produced waters is that we do not use any liquid chemicals in our process. The equipment we will be deploying to the Gulf has just been completed and is our newest offshore technology specifically built for removing oil and chemicals from sea water. The current crisis in the Gulf demands our immediate attention and we expect to move our equipment to Louisiana over the next few days.”

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:38 PM #65

$Billyall - 26 May 2010 03:30 PM

Looks like ESPH is getting involved in the Gulf oil cleanup efforts afterall!

Here is a piece that ran on some news stations last night

In for 5000 shrs of ESPH @ $1.14, and I’ve been in for three tranches of RIG {Transocean} calls for a few weeks, hope this one works! I’m outta ESPH if it hits the evening news nationally, call it a traders hunch.

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 02:49 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:53 PM #66

Well I hope it wasnt solely based on my posts. They do have some more contracts lined up for frac water treatment at some of the other Nat gas producers that havent come on line yet but I don’t know where the price is going near term.

If you look at their charts they have been pretty volatile.
    Most of my buys were in .30’s and .40’s a few thousand shares but then I bought a thousand more at 1.50 after it hit 1.80 a few months back.  Whooops! 8( just 2 days ago it was at .72 I think. $1.00 had been support for awhile so hoping it can stay over now.

Sometimes these news blips tend to push it up for a few days and then it consolidates again though. NOt trying to pump it just thought it was a relevant item of discussion in this thread.

for those who are interested here is a discussion group on the stock.

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/board.aspx?board_id=9667

But please dont throw tomatoes at me if it turns out to be a stinker for you. I literally only have a small amount of my overall portfolio in it as a spec play. Have some friends wagering quite a bit on it (unwisely in my opinion, as they are not the most savvy of investors). I’ve been in and out 4 times with decent profits over the last 2 years, my friends have been in for 4 years or longer back when it was called something else. They have had huge swings and have just continued to add more. 8/ not smart in my opinion. Hope it works out for everybody in though.

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:58 PM #67

$Billyall - 26 May 2010 05:53 PM

Well I hope it wasnt solely based on my posts. They do have some more contracts lined up for frac water treatment at some of the other Nat gas producers that havent come on line yet but I don’t know where the price is going near term

THAT is a side bonus, the Gas Frac Water.

I actually just negotiated a signing bonus on 120 acres of Marcellus shale in PA that we own from an inheritance, so I’ve been HUGE in some Natural Gas firms and have actually toured and studied a dozen shale gas sites, onsite, personally. The company I am favoring primarily EOG Resources for about eight months now, and trust me, the water issue is a HUGE HUGE thing that is continually thrown up against them, if this will resolve that, it is something that may turn me from a spot speculator to a longer term investor. I can see them being bought out by a MAJOR DRILLING FIRM SERVICES PROVIDER just to counter the negative press on the water issues.

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 03:11 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:06 PM #68

ok cool, you seem to know what you are dealing with then 8).

Im in S florida and my buddys uncle lives in stuart where they are based he has been invested in them since the company started out and he has a large percentage of his net worth invested in the them now. He also thinks they will eventually get bought out.

I wish I had more spare cash to speculate more on it but I will be happy with the small position I have if they do finally get the other contracts signed up, a full buyout would be icing on the cake. I dont know how far along Mr Costners tech is, if they are ready to deploy or not but I know these guys could basically have a few machines ready to roll in no time.

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:11 PM #69

If you are interested, here are the four wells they have either completed, or are in the process of finishing, that are 6000 feet off our property, hopefully they will expand and put our hunting camps 120 acres in play in the next year or so, if they do, it will certainly go a long way to a more secure retirement.

[ Edited: 27 May 2010 10:05 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:31 PM #70

Very nice congrats!

Posted: 27 May 2010 10:04 AM #71

The ultimate “Decision Maker” is the SITE OWNER, which was and is BP.

Looks like RIG {Transocean} wanted to be safe, and BP managers ordered them to DELIBERATELY take a riskier move, in order to extract the drilling mud for reuse.

So, the “bad guys” in this scenario, are HAL {Halliburton} who screwed up the well wall cementing job that failed, BP for ordering RIG to remove the heavy drilling mud { now being replaced as we type…} and BP again, for ordering RIG to continue drilling AFTER it was known that the BLOWOUT PREVENTER had problems.

{FWIW, methinks this ENTIRE thing is a FALSE FLAG PLANNED OP in order to kill off deepwater drilling in the USA, and to advance the valuation of overseas holdings of certain groups…} the “Players” Cheney’s HAL, and BP, seem to always be cahoots whenever these things like Afghanistan, Iraq, suddenly require huge investments of OUR blood and OUR money. And this happening the VERY DAY BEFORE “EARTH DAY” and right after Obama opens up for offshore {we KNOW that he continually opposed this, and did a sudden reversal } just REEKS of planned op. Like all other False Flag ops, you have the “event” followed up by the public DEMANDING more government control, increased taxes, and MORE power transferred from the FREE to the OLIGARCHY.

May 26, 2010, 8:32 p.m. EDT
    Report: Transocean argued with BP before blast

NEW YORK (MarketWatch)—Transocean (NYSE:RIG) supervisors that were aboard the Deepwater Horizion rig told government officials Wednesday about a disagreement with BP (NYSE:BP) officials hours before the blast on Aprl 20 that killed 11 and resulted in the current oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. In a joint hearing held by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Minerals Management Service in Louisiana, Douglas Brown, Transocean’s chief mechanic on the rig, said that key representatives from both companies had a heated argument in an 11 a.m. meeting on that day, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal. Brown said Transocean’s crew leaders objected to a decision by BP on how to start removing heavy drilling fluid and replace it with lighter sea water from a riser pipe connected to the well head. BP declined to comment on the testimony.

Signature

Posted: 27 May 2010 10:58 AM #72

More NEWS about ESPH.

May 27, 2010 (FinancialWire)—Ecosphere Technologies, Inc. (OTCBB: ESPH) has appointed water industry veteran George Chapas to director of new business development.

Chapas is developing the strategy to introduce and market the company’s patented Ecosphere Ozonix technology into industrial and municipal water applications. The recently patented Ecosphere Ozonix technology is an advanced oxidation process that can be used to treat a wide variety of industrial and municipal wastewater applications eliminating the use of chemicals.

grin

Posted: 27 May 2010 11:57 AM #73

That was actually out a few days ago LINK to IR news but there has been additional coverage on ESPH started today at a firm called Skymark Research http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/esph/news. However that is just PR work and may only be temporary boost. More importantly I think is the recent coverage of the proposed use in the gulf spill as well as rising crude and nat gas prices.

Glad to hear the Top kill operations are positive so far. Hope they can get it secure so that focus on cleanup can begin.

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:20 PM #74

Sorry no link, but the “top kill” has worked and they are about to start pumping concrete to seal the well. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

grin

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 27 May 2010 01:27 PM #75

A link to the story

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spill-top-kill-20100528,0,5782115.story

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.