Why The iPhone Is Better Than Andriod

Posted: 08 May 2010 07:21 PM

Had to link to this article on a comparison of incredible vs nexus.  It is obvious to me that the average consumer will not be able to decipher what android is after looking at these different interfaces.  They are both android but good luck with switching from one to the other.

The Incredible would live up to it’s name if it wasn’t running Sense UI. If I could root and flash Cyanogen or a similar ROM onto this device, I’d absolutely love it. Not having the bloat and graphical nightmare of Sense UI would make the experience much better on this handset. Cyanogenmod also gives you added memory and a ton of kernel-level performance tweaks all over the place that give the phone a blink-of-the-eye reaction time. The hardware is pretty similar between the two of them, but after a few days I’ve decided that I prefer the Incredible. The battery life is superior, it feels better in your hand, it’s equipped with a nicer camera, and it just looks elite.

This guy is obviously a geek who will custom the device but think of the average consumer.

[Title slightly edited by DT]

[ Edited: 08 May 2010 11:13 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 08 May 2010 08:47 PM #1

The question is “Are the Android phones good enough?”

Yes this guy is a geek and is looking at it from a geek point of view but if it does most of what the iPhone does “good enough” then people will be sold them instead of iPhones. Sold them. Requires a sales man to do what a salesman does.

Google have commoditized the Apple vision and given it away to whoever wants to build it. Just like Windows 3.1 took the Mac vision and commoditized that save that Microsoft made big money on each sold. Google just seem to be along to mess up the party but hey.

I had my hair cut today. The barber was using an Instinct. He said he used to have an iPhone but found it “too complicated”. He didn’t need the “email features” that the iPhone had. It sounded to me like a salesman had done his job.

So yes we know that the iPhone is a great product. It is a game changer. The question is will it be another death by a thousand cuts with salesmen desperate to make their cut down-selling something which is just “good enough”?

Signature

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:55 AM #2

pats - 08 May 2010 10:21 PM

This guy is obviously a geek who will custom the device but think of the average consumer.

iPhone: Because you’re just too stupid for Android.

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:57 AM #3

rattyuk - 08 May 2010 11:47 PM

I had my hair cut today. The barber was using an Instinct. He said he used to have an iPhone but found it “too complicated”. He didn’t need the “email features” that the iPhone had. It sounded to me like a salesman had done his job.

iPhone: Because you’re too stupid to know a feature phone isn’t good enough for you.

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:58 AM #4

rattyuk - 08 May 2010 11:47 PM

The barber was using an Instinct. He said he used to have an iPhone but found it “too complicated”. He didn’t need the “email features” that the iPhone had. It sounded to me like a salesman had done his job.

So yes we know that the iPhone is a great product. It is a game changer. The question is will it be another death by a thousand cuts with salesmen desperate to make their cut down-selling something which is just “good enough”?

I wonder if the salesman got a commission for selling an Instinct.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 10 May 2010 12:03 PM #5

This is one of the reasons that I personally believe Apple HAS to release an iPhone on Verizon ASAP. It’s not about how much money can be made from Verizon’s 91m subscribers. Nor is it an issue of whether to release a CDMA version now, or an LTE version later.

The real issue is getting the iPhone onto Android’s strongest turf (Verizon)...before Android becomes “good enough”. I have desperately wanted an iPhone since it came out, but having had bad experiences with AT&T in the past, I refuse to go back to AT&T. So I have a Moto Droid on Verizon. I picked it because it was the phone that offered the features that I want, and was able to sync with my Mac without any additional software (like BlackBerry’s require).

Don’t get me wrong…THE MINUTE Apple releases an iPhone for Verizon, I’ll be ditching the Droid (or whatever phone I may have by then) and immediately get the iPhone. But for a lot of people, the Droid is “good enough”. I’ve been consistently impressed with how good this phone does. It’s easily the best phone I’ve ever had, and I’ve had almost every smartphone there is…except the iPhone. I have friends on Verizon for whom the Droid has already reached “good enough” status. Even when the iPhone comes, I highly doubt they’ll switch.

So my concern is that, if Apple waits until sometime in 2011, they may have already lost the chance of appealing to a large number of customers who would be far more excited about an iPhone right now. Android is nowhere near as good as the iPhone (although good in its own right), but for some it may be “good enough”.

• Posted: 10 May 2010 12:09 PM #6

Jay Yarrow over at SAI has just posted this:

Android-based phones outsold the iPhone in the U.S. for the first time last quarter.
    Google’s Android-based smartphones accounted for 28% of smartphone sales, while the iPhone accounted for 21%, according to market research firm NPD.
    Research In Motion outsold both of them, and had 36% of the sales.
    In a press release, NPD analyst Ross Rubin attributed the strong sales of RIM and Android phones to Verizon’s buy-one-get-one deals.
    Android is now on dozens of handsets on each major carrier, so it makes sense that it leapt passed the iPhone.

Article, with flaming comments section, can be accessed here.

Signature

• Posted: 10 May 2010 12:33 PM #7

Apple’s biggest enemy has been and still is “Good Enough.” And Good Enough has driven entire industries out of the US (try and find a cordless power tool still built in the USA. It’s nearly impossible; Craftsman hand tools are no longer guaranteed for life because they are made in China, but I’m sure they are “good enough”).

It will be interesting to see how the fragmentation of the Android OS affects its stability and marketability. If it gets really fragmented, it’ll be hard for someone to know what Android is. This could

Still, I like the idea that Apple has competition since it will keep them innovating, but it is disappointing that no one else is trying to lead. I still think the entire computer industry and now the mobile phone industry treats Apple like free R&D. Let Apple take the risks, and then we’ll come out with something that is kinda like it, make it look the same so the masses can’t tell the difference and profit. Kinda depressing.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 10 May 2010 12:35 PM #8

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 May 2010 02:55 PM

Really? You bought an iPhone.
    Sounds like the old “Mac is a toy because you don’t have to tinker in the registry” argument that tech-geeks like to use when their previously insular club starts to be invaded by the unwashed masses.

[ Edited: 10 May 2010 12:40 PM by FlipFriddle ]

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 10 May 2010 12:36 PM #9

Android and RIM are operating with Apple’s permission on the carriers where they are popular, because iPhone isn’t available there. They are still not earning as much gross margin as iPhone, which tells us they are weaker offerings.

Android’s achilles heel is that it can’t carry its installed base forwards, so is perpetually condemned to cold-sell the next Android phone to the same customer every couple of years. This means that iPhone can enter Android’s home turf at some point, and gradually convert Android customers more easily than the other way around.

Apple wants to collect a subsidy premium on every iPhone, and wants to grow the whole market as well as market share, and do that steadily for years. It’s a far safer way to run a tech business than flooding the market for one or two years at lower margins, then stalling out. That means Apple is happy to hear a lot of marketing noise and large shipment volumes from competitors. Apple has a business model and installed base in motion towards the future; competitors still have a succession of customer sales with no way to move them forwards en masse. The Android product may look very competitive at a snapshot in time. Just don’t look at where the installed base is stuck.

Posted: 10 May 2010 12:38 PM #10

rattyuk - 10 May 2010 03:09 PM

Jay Yarrow over at SAI has just posted this:

Hey rattuk… Isn’t that pretty much what I’ve been telling you guys for the better part of two months? The only condolences I can offer is that maybe the data is wrong. But I doubt that, and would have expected things to go that way by end of summer.

There are some things that Droid does far better than iPhone. Notifications, multi-tasking (even vs iPhone OS 4 betas), music player, screen widgets to name a few. Having multiple handset vendors ensures that the pace of innovation, coverage of price ranges, and divergence of devices beyond smartphones and tablets will promote a robust 3rd party marketplace. Flash 10.1 will become such a key feature of Android that Jobs will have to change his tune by Fall, and will probably be rebuffed by Adobe.

iPhone will continue growth internationally, where Apple’s brand status is insulated from all the hits it is taking the US. There is far less mobile competition abroad, and it is much less intense. But it’s basically 12 - 18 months behind the US curve, and this time next year, we’ll be talking about Droid making fast, unexpected inroads in all the markets Apple thought it had locked up.

Posted: 10 May 2010 12:55 PM #11

sleepygeek - 10 May 2010 03:36 PM

Android’s achilles heel is that it can’t carry its installed base forwards, so is perpetually condemned to cold-sell the next Android phone to the same customer every couple of years. This means that iPhone can enter Android’s home turf at some point, and gradually convert Android customers more easily than the other way around.

sg - can you elaborate? I’m not sure how the iPhone could supplant all (or much) of Android’s installed base at any point. I know Google’s giving the OS away and not making money even on the same order as Apple, but from consumers’ point of view I agree with the Good Enough argument.

• Posted: 10 May 2010 01:01 PM #12

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 May 2010 03:38 PM

... this time next year, we’ll be talking about Droid making fast, unexpected inroads in all the markets Apple thought it had locked up.

Apple hasn’t locked anything up. But how about if you come back this time next year to continue this discussion, since most here agree to differ with your view? Just remember that Apple is proudest of what it doesn’t do these days. Maybe a host of Android one-night stands is exciting, but what if you want a relationship?

Posted: 10 May 2010 01:14 PM #13

FlipFriddle - 10 May 2010 03:35 PM

Really? You bought an iPhone.
    Sounds like the old “Mac is a toy because you don’t have to tinker in the registry” argument that tech-geeks like to use when their previously insular club starts to be invaded by the unwashed masses.

No, not really. My iPhone taglines are just paraphrasing what previous posters were saying. You’re beef is with them. I think those conclusions are absurd. It sounds like you do to.

But it also sounds like we’re going to be hearing lots of sour grapes over Android in the coming months from Apple circles. “They copied our idea”. Well, no, not exactly, Google acquired Android Labs way back in 2006 (EDIT was 1996, a mistype). They’re not making as much profit per handset. True, and it goes back into consumers’ pockets. They aren’t telling consumers about fragmentation. It’s a hypothetical problem that is being solved in the Android Marketplace—apps now proudly tout that they run with 1.6 for example.

Look, having used both iPhone and Android, here’s how I size them up, stepping away from my deep hatred of what Apple the company has become. iPhone is a case of premium bottled water. Feature phones are the firehose connected to the municipal supply. And Android is the store brand of bottled water. When people realize that bottled water quality isn’t about brand (see repeated consumer group tests) but about convenience (easy to take on the go, easy to keep track of how much you drink), the store brand will fly off the shelves at a lower price.

Posted: 10 May 2010 01:17 PM #14

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 May 2010 02:55 PM

If you are calling me stupid go fuck off.  I will match my education and background and net worth with you any day of the week.  I graduated from the Air Force Academy with an Electrical Engineering and CompSci degree and a masters in Administration I retired at 45 and live well below my means.  Go work on your flash skills you’ll need them for the next couple years.

• Posted: 10 May 2010 01:19 PM #15

Bosco

So far today you have come here and posted barbs.

IE

“nah nah nah - I told you this”

I have really tried to ignore you but fuck it.

Look due to the Gizmodo theft I would say that a lot of people are holding off to buy the next gen machine. Anyone who knows about Apple knew it was coming but the blanket coverage has probably killed sales - but hey not to worry there is probably a court case a coming - and Gizmodo can use their deep pockets to refund the difference.

When the next gen iPhone arrives we shall see just how well Apple are doing until then - get back in your hole.

Signature