Why The iPhone Is Better Than Andriod

Posted: 07 September 2010 11:28 AM #61

I can’t speak for all the other Android phones, but the HTC Desire on Telus is quite a nice device. With 2.2 it has a real snappy UI, the multiple homepage views are nice, and as I’ve said somewhere else Swype text input is really easy to use. 

As an Apple fanboy with an AAPL retirement fund it makes me slightly uncomfortable that the geeksquad at a well-known Canadian smartphone manufacturer prefer this phone over any other on the market.

Could be that the iPhone can’t be all things to all people, and that it is positioned to do well in a particularly attractive market niche, but it never pays to underestimate the competition.

• Posted: 09 September 2010 08:46 AM #62

This article mentions what many here have talked about:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/android-open/

• Posted: 10 September 2010 01:25 AM #63

Derrick - 09 September 2010 11:46 AM

This article mentions what many here have talked about:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/android-open/

You guys already understood this, but I’m finally beginning to get it. Open doesn’t mean what Android fans think it means. Open means the carriers and the manufacturers get to do anything they want to do to Android. And they want to do bad, bad things.

Open means that carriers and manufacturers get to add things:
    - Terrible skins and OS overlays
    - Crapware like Blockbuster and Tetris
    - Their own for pay, tethering solution
    - Their own, for pay, navigation solution
    - Their own App Stores
    - Their own IM solution
    - Someone else’s search solution (Bing) if that someone else pays them a whole lot of money (500 million for five years of exclusivity.)

Open means that carriers and manufacturers get delete things:
    - tethering
    - navigation
    - individual applications or entire portions of the Android App Store
    - search solutions

The list of things that can be added and deleted is unending and unstoppable. Open has many advantages, but (stealing from the article) Open is hard to define and it is hard to defend.

Googles’ failure to define and defend Android has two consequences. First, the user experience is starting to rapidly deteriorate. No matter how good Android is, the carriers and the manufacturers can sabotage it by adding gunk and deleting Android’s best features (like tethering).

Second, there is no way Android can defend it’s business model. Anyone is free to strip Google out of the system. It’s already happened in China. Now it’s happening with Verizon. And if Google cannot get revenue from placing their search engine on Android phones, then Google will have to move on - presumably to Chrome - and Android will become a leaderless, rudderless ship that is sure to run aground.

And the most important thing about this is that not only can the carriers and manufacturers sabotage Android, they MUST. The manufacturers must distinguish themselves from other manufacturers so they must modify the Android software to make their products unique.

I’ll take that back. Some of the destruction happening to Android is not necessary. But it is inevitable. Asking Verizon to change its ways is like asking a scorpion to change its nature. Verizon is a vicious, short-sighted predator that views it’s own customers as prey. Their move to sabotage Android by removing Google search and replacing it with Bing is so profoundly self-destructive that it takes my breath away. But I don’t expect Verizon to smarten up. Verizon’s policy, pre-iPhone, was to cripple a manufacturer’s phone so that Verizon could sell their customer’s Verizon’s poorly crafted and overly expensive version of the same service. This behavior abated while Verizon desperately sought to counter the iPhone. But now, as soon as it got the opportunity, Verizon returned to their old ways.

One final thing. If you are one of those people who think that there is going to be a Verizon iPhone, I suggest you think again. Read the article cited above and look at what Verizon is doing to their phones and to Android. Think for a minute about the type to thinking, the type of corporate culture, that is required to take the actions that Verizon is taking. In my opinion, Apple and Verizon are as far apart philosophically as corporations can be. The iPhone is not coming to Verizon because Apple will never change their terms. And Verizon will never meet Apple’s terms.

[ Edited: 10 September 2010 02:24 AM by FalKirk ]      

Posted: 10 September 2010 01:40 AM #64

FalKirk - 10 September 2010 04:25 AM

... In my opinion, Apple and Verizon are as far apart philosophically as corporations can be. The iPhone is not coming to Verizon because Apple will never change their terms. And Verizon will never meet Apple’s terms.

Second bold opinion regarding iPhone.  The first one is Apple would push for mainstream market share.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 10 September 2010 01:46 AM #65

One final thing. If you are one of those people who think that there is going to be a Verizon iPhone, I suggest you think again. Read the article cited above and look at what Verizon is doing to their phones and to Android. Think for a minute about the type to thinking, the type of corporate culture, that is required to take the actions that Verizon is taking. In my opinion, Apple and Verizon are as far apart philosophically as corporations can be. The iPhone is not coming to Verizon because Apple will never change their terms. And Verizon will never meet Apple’s terms.

I recently concluded the same thing and sold all of my Verizon.  I think Apple will penetrate equivalent market share by partnering with T-Mobile and Sprint.  Verizon and Apple could still happen but I’m betting it won’t.

Posted: 10 September 2010 01:53 AM #66

So far my iPhone has become an object of ridicule.

“Eric, I called you but you have an iPhone so I couldn’t reach you.”

“Eric, I left you a message, but I guess you didn’t get it because your iPhone is a dead zone.”

AT&T was supposed to call me about a micro-cell today.

Sigh.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 10 September 2010 02:21 AM #67

Mace - 10 September 2010 04:40 AM

... In my opinion, Apple and Verizon are as far apart philosophically as corporations can be. The iPhone is not coming to Verizon because Apple will never change their terms. And Verizon will never meet Apple’s terms.

Second bold opinion regarding iPhone.  The first one is Apple would push for mainstream market share.

Right now, Apple is selling iPhones as fast as they can make them. Contrary to public opinion, moving the iPhone to Verizon would not - could not - increase iPhone sales. Apple’s lack of a Verizon phone is not costing them any market share, at this time.