MacBook Air?

Posted: 09 May 2010 01:37 AM

What the heck has happened to the MacBook Air?

With the iPad and MacBook Pro updates, the Air is all but forgotten.  No rumors, no updates, not even a random blog post questioning this.  Am I missing something completely obvious here (small update, unannounced, etc) or has the MBA faded into oblivion?

Posted: 12 May 2010 12:03 PM #1

Maybe the plan is to replace it with an iPad like device, but one running a full version of OSX.

Slightly off topic. Are any other iPhone and iPad users when using a Mac finding yourself double spacing to enter a period to start a new sentence?

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 12 May 2010 01:23 PM #2

As a MBA user at work, I can tell you that the iPad would not do at all. I need to run Office and other processor intensive stuff. Yet it is so small and light, travel is a breeze. There is no way a device based on the iPhone OS is ever going to replace my MBA!

• Posted: 13 May 2010 01:04 AM #3

GigaOM’s May 10 issue “The Apple Blog” has a line from MacWorld Australia about a possible upgrade, as follows.

Rumor Has It: MacBook Air Update Tomorrow
    By Charles Jade May. 10, 2010, 1:19pm MDT No Comments
    7     70

Macworld Australia reports that according to a ?well-placed source,? there will be a new MacBook Air model this week, either that or a 27? Cinema Display.

• Posted: 13 May 2010 11:49 PM #4

Apple is so tight lipped about their updates that we can only conjecture.

This week has come and gone with no upgrade of the Macbook Air.

The most highly likely date for the Macbook Air would be on WWDC 10.

If Apple has made any significant changes to the Macbook Air, then Steve Jobs would like to show it off with the new iPhone.

Steve Jobs in the WWCD 10 will talk about the wonders of the coming Digital Lifestyle with Apple product at the center.

Posted: 14 May 2010 10:24 AM #5

tellis301 - 13 May 2010 04:04 AM

GigaOM’s May 10 issue “The Apple Blog” has a line from MacWorld Australia about a possible upgrade, as follows.

Rumor Has It: MacBook Air Update Tomorrow
    By Charles Jade May. 10, 2010, 1:19pm MDT No Comments
    7     70

Macworld Australia reports that according to a ?well-placed source,? there will be a new MacBook Air model this week, either that or a 27? Cinema Display.

Apparently not such a well placed source after all.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 21 May 2010 01:48 AM #6

Apple’s approach with everything lately has been to make it smaller, lighter, and more efficient. But the technology for small-and-light is not cheap enough for Apple go all-in without losing margin, jacking up the prices, or stripping out functionality as is often done in netbooks. As we inch closer those features becoming standard, we’ll hear less and less about the Air as a distinct product.

Instead I like to think of the MacBook Air as a “beta” release of the 2015 MacBook. Eventually the product lines will converge. When they do, every portable will have an SSD and shed the optical drive, and become thinner and lighter than ever.

In short, the MacBook Air is on the sidelines at the moment but it’s going to steal the show later. It’s just waiting for its time to shine as the flagship MacBook.

[ Edited: 21 May 2010 01:58 AM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 21 May 2010 02:06 AM #7

PS. It’s also conceivable that Apple thought the MacBook Air represented the ultraportable of the future, but has since changed their mind. It could be that they now see it as a dead end, and the more powerful iPads of the future will fill that role instead. Only time will tell…

[ Edited: 21 May 2010 02:09 AM by David Nelson ]