iPhoto Replacement?

Posted: 10 May 2010 10:24 PM

I have a huge photo library and iPhoto is so slow it is driving me crazy.  I use Lightroom for pro photos, but iPhoto for the family snapshots.

Should I use Lightroom for the family snaps too? 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better photo database?  How about Aperture?

Thanks,

aviduser

Signature

1. Macintosh SE (1988)
    2. PowerBook 180 (1993)
    3. PowerMacintosh 7600 (1996)
    4. PowerMacintosh G4 (2001)
    5. PowerBook G4 12” (2003)
    6. MacPro 2.66 GHz (2007)
    7. MacBook 2.4 GHz (2008)
    8. iMac 2.66 GHz (2008)
    (Plus one Newton MP2k)

• Posted: 11 May 2010 11:25 AM #1

Hi,

I have an Aperture library that is about 400GB. On my 24” iMac it took awhile for it to open. When i updated to Snow Leopard it took noticeable less time to open. Upgrading to Aperture 3 speeded it up even more. I recently got a 27” iMac with the i7 processor and that opens the database in a flash. The speed is almost scary.  So speed depends on your underlying processor, version of OSX and whether you have Aperture 2 or 3 plus of course the size of your database.

Posted: 11 May 2010 11:53 AM #2

I also use Aperture for all my photos - work and home.  It was a pain using iPhoto for home, and Aperture for work photos.  I like Aperture because I use it with MobileMe and iWeb, too.

Signature

Tron is cool

• Posted: 11 May 2010 11:55 AM #3

Does LR allow you to have multiple libraries?  You could have a library for your pro shots and a separate library for your family shots.  I know A3 allows multiple libraries, but I am not very familiar with LR.

• Posted: 11 May 2010 12:06 PM #4

Which iPhoto version?
    I have version 8 with about 2250 photos dating back ten years in it and it’s snappy enough, includes facial recognition as well as geolocation services.

• Posted: 11 May 2010 12:08 PM #5

I heard that the multiple libraries feature is one of the big selling points of Aperture 3 over Lightroom 3. But Lightroom 3 is in beta so who knows. I too am probably going to switch from iPhoto, and since I have mobileme I think I’ll get Aperture. So I would say if you have a lot of iLife and Apple stuff to connect to I’d go with Aperture. If not, download the Lightroom 3 beta and try it out. Hopefully it’s not as big a resource hog as Adobe’s CS apps.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 11 May 2010 01:08 PM #6

Tiger - 11 May 2010 03:06 PM

Which iPhoto version?
    I have version 8 with about 2250 photos dating back ten years in it and it’s snappy enough, includes facial recognition as well as geolocation services.

I envy your editing abilities. I can’t throw anything out.
    My iPhoto library has about 18,000 images and it was a dog until I upgraded to a 2009 24” iMac. I still find myself heading to Photoshop too often to get some work done on an image so I think I need Aperture.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).