private wireless access for customers

Posted: 13 May 2010 06:02 PM

hi fellow mac geeks

at my office i have a fairly big network (60 computers or so) all wired into my internet connection. i also have a wireless access point for employees that is hidden and password protected.

now i want to offer wireless access to my customers for the waiting room but i DONT want them to even be able to see my other computers. i want the customer wireless on its own separate network. however with routers when i plug them into an end port on my network and set them up they cannot find the internet at all and that doesnt seem to work. i know the airport extreme can do what i want but i would have to have it be the MAIN router and i already have a server downstairs that is the businesses router.

is there a way to either use a wireless accesspoint or an airport express to have a walled off. internet only wireless connection?

-makay

Signature

A questioning servant is more dangerous than a ignorant Foe

• Posted: 14 May 2010 10:50 PM #1

I’m quite certain it is possible. However, I’m not clever enough to explain how it’s done without confusing me, you and anyone else reading the thread.

Surely, someone will jump in with the answer.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

• Posted: 14 May 2010 10:55 PM #2

Does this help?

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/setup.html

Consider the option to have a “guest” network?

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

• Posted: 14 May 2010 10:57 PM #3

There is also a range of channels. Perhaps you can restrict your private and guest networks to specific channels?

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

Posted: 15 May 2010 06:38 AM #4

I figured it out. i just used a regular 802.11g router, changed the network addresses range to 10.0.0.X (the business uses 192.168.1.X) and turned on NAT traversal to let it find the internet and it seems to be working just as i want!

I’ve tried accessing my network resources from it and i cant. so i think i successfully made an internet ONLY network. thanks anyways guys! smile

Signature

A questioning servant is more dangerous than a ignorant Foe