When Will Apple Introduce the Next iPhone?

Poll: What's Apple next generation iPhone time table?
Total Votes: 14
Introduced and released during WWDC
Introduced at WWDC, shipping a few weeks later
Media event introduction in a few weeks, released the same day
Media event introduction in a few weeks, released at a later date
The introduction and launch won’t happen until fall

Posted: 19 May 2010 11:08 AM

It’s no secret that Apple has been hard at work on the next iPhone. What isn’t known yet is exactly when Apple will announce and ship the device. What’s Apple next generation iPhone time table?

Posted: 19 May 2010 12:13 PM #1

They will release it just after I buy one of the existing ones.  LOL

Seriously though, I seem to be one of the few that don’t think it will come out at WWDC. That is a developers conference not a new consumer products event. Apple will IMO want to hold an event just for the new iPhone to put as much media attention on it as possible. I also really believe they will time it so SJ can say “shipping today”.

[ Edited: 19 May 2010 12:16 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 21 May 2010 01:19 AM #2

I’m guessing it will be announced at WWDC and coming out a month or so later.

The timing is about right for Apple’s traditional summer refresh of the iPhone. It also makes sense with the new iPhone OS coming out and so much of WWDC focusing on iPhone OS development.

Posted: 22 May 2010 10:00 PM #3

If Apple can move on it, I think it will be announced at WWDC and ship within a week after the announcement.  One of the best ways to mitigate any damage from the iPhone leak is to just get the phone out there to minimize the chance of the competition stealing away buyers. 

Obviously ramp-up, QA and other considerations would be at play in that kind of decision, but a June launch has precedent (iPhone 3GS launched in late June).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 May 2010 12:53 PM #4

I would have guessed there would be a month or more delay in shipping after they are announced. Now that WalMart is selling the 3GS for $97, I can’t help but wonder if the next iPhone is coming sooner. Perhaps it will be shipping within a week of its announcement at WWDC.