Would WebM supersede H.264?

• Posted: 24 May 2010 10:24 AM #16

Mace - 23 May 2010 06:35 PM

A codec that have an open source license is always an open standard.

I don’t think so.

The problem I see is that Google has the largest repository of actual video. And they can encode with proprietary unpublished VP8 extensions that facilitate hardware decode. Software decode will work, but your video may be jerky and your battery run flat, unless you license Google’s proprietary silicon. The execrable obscurity of the “specification”, and the complete lack of any commitment from Google to actually apply it in the same way as everyone else, hopefully means that it will not succeed.

Google got lucky with search advertising, and suddenly they’re afraid there might actually be competition. With no monopoly,  “Don’t be evil” has been scrapped. Their way out is to create the option to go proprietary, but until it’s unstoppable they are concealing it by shouting lies and pointing at Apple. They and Adobe know it’s a barefaced lie, and are working together to fool as many people as possible. Adobe is joining in with the required lies in exchange for an utterly unjustifiable place in a so-called “open” Android platform. I’ll bet part of the deal is to use Adobe’s multi-year attempt to hardware accelerate mobile Flash as the fast track basis for prorietary hardware acceleration of VP8. Sickening really, and worrying with the close ties Google appears to have in government.

Posted: 24 May 2010 11:38 AM #17

sleepygeek - 24 May 2010 01:24 PM

... worrying with the close ties Google appears to have in government.

IIRC, Eric Schmidt is an economic adviser in Obama administration.

“... Summers’ session was generally well received, though there were a number of empty seats in the crowd as some top executives left after the preceding debate featuring Google CEO Eric Schmidt ...”.  More.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs