Wireless trackball, keyboard—USB or firewire?

• Posted: 20 May 2010 04:01 PM

Hello All!

I need to get a new keyboard for my MacBook. Decided to go wireless. Currently I have a wired Macally keyboard and Logitech trackball which plugs into the keyboard, thus only one USB port is being used.

I’ve used Macally, Kensington and Logitech for many years and have been very satisfied with reliability and ease of use. But I’m open to new suggestions.

I want to stick to a trackball (no mouse or trackpad). I couldn’t find one that uses bluethooth. So, unless I can find a compatible wireless keyboard that lets me plug a trackball into it, I will need to have two dongles—one with the keyboard frequency, and another dongle for the trackball? Will the devices share dongles? Has anyone had a wireless bluetooth keyboard with a trackball plugged directly into the keyboard?

Hope I’ve made this complex question clear enough for you to know what I’m talking about.

Cheers
    !

• Posted: 21 May 2010 02:22 AM #1

I don’t think you’re going to find a wireless keyboard that has a way to tether a trackball to it.

That said, even if you can’t find a Bluetooth trackball that doesn’t prevent you from using a Bluetooth keyboard. You could use the Bluetooth keyboard of your choice while also using a wireless trackball that has a dongle.

In fact a Bluetooth keyboard and a trackball-with-wireless-dongle would probably be preferable so you don’t end up using two USB ports (or needing a hub) for two dongles.

[ Edited: 21 May 2010 02:24 AM by David Nelson ]