Where is AAPL headed for Q3 and Q4 2010?

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:55 AM #16

adamthompson3232 - 26 May 2010 02:38 PM

... To be sure, I would fire an employee who exercised such a catastrophic lapse in judgement - drinking (perhaps heavily?) while in possession of an incredibly valuable tangible trade secret which subsequently was lost/stolen. Not smart. And deserving of termination in my opinion ...

So, you’re the BOSS of a mom n pop business.  Agree with your assessment that Apple is likely to announce quicker delivery of the new iPhone.  I’m also eager to hear news about MobileMe, AppleTV, Mac Mini, iTunes and iWork.  Current rumors are that iTunes and iWork might go to the cloud, integration of iPad and AppleTV, and improved MobileMe.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 26 May 2010 12:37 PM #17

adamthompson3232 - 26 May 2010 05:18 AM
    DawnTreader - 26 May 2010 04:52 AM
    adamthompson3232 - 26 May 2010 04:13 AM

If this is true, I believe it is very safe to assume that AAPL will hit $300 sooner than most people here think….unless the market really takes a dive from here, which I think is unlikely in the next six months and I believe AAPL gets to $300 by July.

AAPL $300 by July? Been there. See my updated forecast from 04/24/10grin

Sorry DT. Not trying to steal your thunder! It just seems so obvious that if the market doesn’t kill us, the iPad and “iPhone HD” will get us to $300 in short order. I get a little worried when a stock with a market cap as large as AAPL (or anything even close) seems like such a no brainer but the analysts are so friggin low in iPad estimates and I am a strong believer that the iPhone is coming to VZ (and Sprint) sooner than most people think.

Don’t worry about it.  grin

My desire was to provide some empirical basis to validate your forecast.

My preliminary numbers for FQ3 are pretty darn scary and I think Mercel’s preliminary eps projections are even more ambitious than mine.

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:00 PM #18

adamthompson3232 - 26 May 2010 05:18 AM

...I am a strong believer that the iPhone is coming to VZ (and Sprint) sooner than most people think.

What do “most people think”? I think the whisper / rumor has been: Verizon, this year, announced at WWDC. So it’s harder to do it sooner than people think, when people think it’s happening… well, now. I know many analysts say it’s “unlikely” but deep down everybody’s hoping for it. Add to that the fact that everybody and their neighbor’s dog knows about the new iPhone coming, and what it looks like - and you have extremely high expectations with much room for disappointment. Short-term, I expect the price to drop if they remain exclusive on AT&T (and there are no other major positive surprises to offset it). The pick-up in price may occur later in the summer or in the fall.

All in all, I’m hoping for upside around WWDC, but I don’t think we’ll get it. If there’s a sell-off, I’ll sell the few GOOGs I have and buy more AAPL.

• Posted: 27 May 2010 01:40 AM #19

adamthompson3232 - 27 May 2010 04:06 AM

I really don’t think most people believe iPhone is coming to other domestic carriers at WWDC. For the same reason that Gray Powell’s loss of the prototype likely impacted sales such an announcement without making the VZ iPhone immediately available would also hurt sales. So I can’t see any advantage to making the announcement unless the new phone is available on VZ or Sprint almost immediately.

Except… If Google thinks it can grab press blowin’ smoke and playing with mirrors, watch Apple stop traffic with what’s to be announced. Apple has a way of making it seem as if the earth has stopped moving prior to major product announcements.

I suggest what will be announced will stop Android momentum in its tracks and the sooner the phone is available the better. Just remember the VZ thing is a US-only matter. Outside our shrinking borders few care whether or not VZ has the iPhone.

• Posted: 27 May 2010 01:42 AM #20

Just remember: Never, ever underestimate the brilliance of Steve Jobs… Especially when he’s pissed off.  :wink:

Posted: 27 May 2010 01:47 AM #21

DawnTreader - 27 May 2010 04:42 AM

Just remember: Never, ever underestimate the brilliance of Steve Jobs… Especially when he’s pissed off.  :wink:

Nicely put, Robert!

Posted: 27 May 2010 02:28 AM #22

Mace - 26 May 2010 02:55 PM
    adamthompson3232 - 26 May 2010 02:38 PM

... To be sure, I would fire an employee who exercised such a catastrophic lapse in judgement - drinking (perhaps heavily?) while in possession of an incredibly valuable tangible trade secret which subsequently was lost/stolen. Not smart. And deserving of termination in my opinion ...

So, you’re the BOSS of a mom n pop business.  Agree with your assessment that Apple is likely to announce quicker delivery of the new iPhone.  I’m also eager to hear news about MobileMe, AppleTV, Mac Mini, iTunes and iWork.  Current rumors are that iTunes and iWork might go to the cloud, integration of iPad and AppleTV, and improved MobileMe.

Come on Mace, is that really called for? We have discussed this many times. Powell should have been fired and I believe his tenure at Apple will end if the released phone is the one he lost. There is always more to a story than the obvious, so we wait for the release. There are three words in this mess that seldom go together; responsibility, accountability, and incompetence. Since I/we do not know all the details of the incident, I think it is reasonable to let SJ do what he does to people (scare the crap out of them). Part of me actually feels for the guy having to go to SJ’s office after he was outed.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.