Andy Ihnatko’s Tweet… Read It and Weep!

• Posted: 23 May 2010 02:42 PM

For all you AT&T fans I bet you’re going to love this tweet from Andy Ihnatko:

Eject the AT&T SIM from my iPhone, slide it into Nexus One; 5 min later it’s a Wifi hotspot. Oh, that stings!

So it looks like AT&T don’t mind your sim providing Wi-Fi tethering… Only if you are using an iPhone are you banned from doing it.

I think Apple should be up in arms! How long you Europeans been able to do this? A year?

Signature

Posted: 23 May 2010 07:32 PM #1

That means tethering is implemented by the phone not controllable by the SIM card.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 23 May 2010 08:50 PM #2

Mace - 23 May 2010 10:32 PM

That means tethering is implemented by the phone not controllable by the SIM card.

Where can I find a used Nexus One?  It can be a hotspot for my iPad.

• Posted: 23 May 2010 08:56 PM #3

Just jailbreak your phone, then you can tether or use it as a wi-fi hotspot for your iPad. But be awre that the native wi-fi speed for the iPad is much faster than the iPhone’s 3G due in part to the faster processor.

Posted: 23 May 2010 09:40 PM #4

willrob - 23 May 2010 11:56 PM

Just jailbreak your phone, then you can tether or use it as a wi-fi hotspot for your iPad. But be awre that the native wi-fi speed for the iPad is much faster than the iPhone’s 3G due in part to the faster processor.

Yeah, so I guess the Mi-Fi and cellular modems would all be the same speed as a Nexus One with the AT&T sim card in it?  One thing I love about the iPad is how extremely quick it is with wi-fi.  Much much much faster and fun to use, than the iPhone on wi-fi—-a world of difference.  Almost as fast as the new iMac.  I’m running a 9 year old Airport Express tho, not the new faster what is it 802.11 n?  I have a 7 mbps DSL connection to the Express.  I wonder if it is now a bottle neck?  Will have to hard wire the iMac and do a speedtest to find out.

• Posted: 24 May 2010 02:32 AM #5

So what’s new? Tethering works fine on iPhone. Andy Ihnatko just broke his AT&T terms of service using a Nexus, whereas his iPhone was configured to match the terms.

Apple broke the control of the carriers, but gave them some back while there was no competition for iPhone. Of course they knew that when competition arrived, it would be badly managed, and unable to offer the carriers any control.

What may be interesting is that this inability of carriers to control devices is deliberately built into the GSM system, with SIM-provided service and interchangeable handsets, whereas Verizon really does have control of devices on its network. GSM carriers should have engineered server-side enforcement of terms of service, because what Apple has been offering them is beyond the power of other handset suppliers.

This isn’t any sort of shock to Apple, and the move to micro-SIMs for iPhone and iPad is part of Apple’s ongoing response. Apple wants specific controls on service, just as much as the carriers. It’s called keeping control of the platform. So it can move forward. And Apple needs to take its carrier partners forward with it, not leave them tied down like Gulliver.

[ Edited: 24 May 2010 02:47 AM by sleepygeek ]      

Posted: 24 May 2010 11:31 AM #6

Tethering is controlled by the phones carrier settings. I live in Canada and have a Telus iPhone (3gs), and I was able to tether right out of the box.

Posted: 24 May 2010 12:19 PM #7

rattyuk - 23 May 2010 05:42 PM

So it looks like AT&T don’t mind your sim providing Wi-Fi tethering… Only if you are using an iPhone are you banned from doing it.

I think Apple should be up in arms! How long you Europeans been able to do this? A year?

This sounds like a geek feature to me.