What if the “leaked” iPhone 4G isn’t the one introduced on June 7th?

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:19 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen this topic discussed yet at the AFB. If it has, my apologies. However I’d like to open the subject up to discussion. We all know that Apple has several prototypes floating around at any given time for its products. What if the leaked iPhone isn’t the one slated for introduction at the WWDC? This would be a huge shock to everyone, including us investors and I believe it would put a huge dent on the stock. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to think that one or more of the features of the leaked iPhone may not make it into the production model. If if just the front facing camera is left out, I think the Street would be very upset.

Thoughts?

PS: This is stemming from the recent http://www.macrumors.com article.

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:53 PM #1

I have been on the side of it not being the one we see introduced. It is just to much of a change in form for me. Call me crazy, its OK, been called worse. LOL I agree with the FFCamera, if it is not there, we will pay dearly. I do think it will be there, but will only work on Wi-Fi or 3G. Still not sure how it is going to handle the signal, Sleepygeek might give some insight. This prototype was in the “wild”, and things happen. I still don’t believe it is the one. I am not so hard headed that after the new iphone is released that I still don’t believe. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 26 May 2010 03:21 PM #2

Boy Genius touched on this subject today:

A big report today from Digitimes, diving into supposed details surrounding Apple?s upcoming iPhone device. A few of the choice quotes from their interview with senior analyst Ming-Chi Kuo?
    Apple initiated the iPhone 4G project at the end of 2008. According to our sources, Apple actually has another product codenamed N91 for the project, which offers less change from previous iPhones compared with the N90. It?s a parallel product to back up the N90 in case there are major delays due to significant modifications in casing, display resolution, digital camera support and so forth.
    And?
    Apple has requested memory module suppliers to provide both 256MB (used in iPhone 3GS) and 512MB RAM for compatibility tests. According to our internal tests, iPhone 4.0 Beta is quite memory hungry compared to iPhone 3.0, and with more complex apps, increased multi-tasking needs and a 5-mega-pixel camera built in, the iPhone 4 needs 523MB RAM
    I think most people would be shocked if the shipping device didn?t come with 512MB of RAM, but it?s interesting nonetheless. What do you guys think? Do you believe we?ll see the device everyone has seen (aka the GizmoPhone), or do you think Stevie J. will break out something totally different?

Article Here.

And links to Digitimes Here.

Signature

• Posted: 26 May 2010 11:07 PM #3

The iPhone’s debut at WWDC on June 7?  To quote someone else who’s in a position to know:  “You won’t be disappointed.”

I have NO WORRIES related to WWDC and any news that can impact share price.

• Posted: 27 May 2010 02:44 AM #4

It seems inconceivable the one we’ve seen is not the iPhone 4. The iPhone clones have finally arrived, and it’s time for the first big iPhone step forward, that will have been planned at Apple for literally a decade. It can’t possibly wait another year.

The rumor that really scares me is that Ballmer will be at WWDC to announce Visual Studio supports iPhone OS development. But to be honest, now that MS has been broken, it can become Apple’s close friend.

• Posted: 27 May 2010 08:01 AM #5

Could the leak could have been a diversion?

(edit: uhmm was this english?? ROFL!!)

[ Edited: 27 May 2010 08:04 AM by MacB ]      

Posted: 27 May 2010 11:14 AM #6

MacB - 27 May 2010 11:01 AM

Could the leak have been a diversion?

This might even go along with the theory that the ‘lost’ iPhone was really a plant deliberately leaked to start speculation. I don’t support that idea, Apple does not need to worry about the media going bonkers over every little crumb. However I wouldn’t be surprised if the 4G iPhone does not look like the ‘lost’ unit. Prototypes often don’t have the perfect fit and finish of the final production version. It would not surprise me at all if the 4G iPhone looks a lot like the existing one but with the same guts as the unit that Gizmodo got their hands on. For the final production unit things would be made to fit a bit tighter to go with [nearly] the same case.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 27 May 2010 11:35 AM #7

I find the idea that the 4th iPhone will be LESS than the gizmodophone very disturbing.

I think that it would be a bigger blow to AAPL than anything since Steve’s return…and after writhing in Verizon’s clutches these last three years, I’ll be +pissed off+

Signature

Unscrewing the inscrutable since 1951

Posted: 27 May 2010 11:44 AM #8

adamthompson3232 - 27 May 2010 02:39 PM

What if Apple releases two upgraded phones at the same time? ... I honestly don’t think this theory is likely but I do wonder when Apple will “split the line” as Tomi Ahonen has suggested on this forum.

I don’t think that’s a crazy idea. Essentially that’s what they have already done by selling the 3G and 3GS side by side. The possibility of adding a third unit, perhaps selling the 3GS, 4GS and 4HD side by side is not absurd. It mirrors the Good, Better, Best model they’ve used for other lines.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 27 May 2010 11:59 AM #9

geoduck - 27 May 2010 02:14 PM

It would not surprise me at all if the 4G iPhone looks a lot like the existing one but with the same guts as the unit that Gizmodo got their hands on. For the final production unit things would be made to fit a bit tighter to go with [nearly] the same case.

It would please me if the iPhone 4G fit existing cases and docks (inserts not withstanding). Sure sooner or later they will have to change the external dimensions, but I prefer later.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:21 PM #10

mbeauch - 26 May 2010 05:53 PM

I have been on the side of it not being the one we see introduced. It is just to much of a change in form for me. Call me crazy, its OK, been called worse. LOL I agree with the FFCamera, if it is not there, we will pay dearly. I do think it will be there, but will only work on Wi-Fi or 3G. Still not sure how it is going to handle the signal, Sleepygeek might give some insight. This prototype was in the “wild”, and things happen. I still don’t believe it is the one. I am not so hard headed that after the new iphone is released that I still don’t believe. LOL

I agree with you Mark.  video conf. is still 3 years away because of bandwith.  that is why the leaked iPhone will cost Apple millions.

Posted: 27 May 2010 01:29 PM #11

omacvi - 27 May 2010 03:21 PM
    mbeauch - 26 May 2010 05:53 PM

I agree with you Mark.  video conf. is still 3 years away because of bandwith.  that is why the leaked iPhone will cost Apple millions.

I can handle the millions, it is the billions that bother me. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 27 May 2010 03:01 PM #12

Would the bandwidth still be a problem on a 4G network?

:apple:

Posted: 27 May 2010 03:38 PM #13

MacCube - 27 May 2010 06:01 PM

Even iChat over broadband can be a bare.  I don’t know enough about 4G, but what I do know is that 4G is in limited areas.  Three years from now LTE (4G) should be availble just about everywhere at much faster speeds.  We improved considerably from the Edge Network to 3G in the last three years.

video conf. may work in wifi only, but the bigger issue is that one can only talk with other iPhone users.  So initally it is not a feature that will be needed for years to come.

Posted: 27 May 2010 04:06 PM #14

The quality of video chat over 3G will be affected more by latency issues rather then bandwidth.  The ATT 3G with Apple’s current Infineon chipset is capable of 3.2 Mpbs.  IChat in Snow Leopard was rewritten in cocoa and can stream 640 X 480 in 300kbps so the bandwidth should be acceptable if Apple can deal with the higher latency of the mobile network.

Posted: 27 May 2010 04:24 PM #15

omacvi - 27 May 2010 06:38 PM

Even iChat over broadband can be a bare.  I don’t know enough about 4G, but what I do know is that 4G is in limited areas.  Three years from now LTE (4G) should be availble just about everywhere at much faster speeds.  We improved considerably from the Edge Network to 3G in the last three years.

video conf. may work in wifi only, but the bigger issue is that one can only talk with other iPhone users.  So initally it is not a feature that will be needed for years to come.

Sponge, if Apple makes an Ichat for Iphone, I’m sure it will be an XMPP client so in theory you should be able to talk with all the XMPP video capable clients, which includes all your Android carrying friends on BikiniBottoms :wink: