What if the “leaked” iPhone 4G isn’t the one introduced on June 7th?

• Posted: 27 May 2010 04:59 PM #16

I think the prototype is a near-final version that we will see in June. If the device wasn’t nearing introduction, I don’t think we would have seen it in all the leaks. Prototypes that a much further off in time would be much closer to the vest.

I don’t think video chat will be available over 3G. Two problems- 1) Quality of Service 2) Persistent data transfer.

For two-way video chat, quality of service requirements are taxing- there can’t be any delays or freezes in the transmission or conversation becomes jumbled and hard to follow/engage.  In contrast to video streaming in one direction, data can be buffered to compensate for slowdown in data received, or can be paused until transmission speed improves restarting where it last left off. Similar to voice- two way broadcasts can’t be paused or delayed, that’s way dropped calls happen. If there is the slightest deterioration the network breaks the connection since there is no reason to maintain a connection if conversation is broken or hard to understand/follow. 

Persistance- Loading a website in a browser, or sending email, refreshing data in an app occurs in short bursts. If bandwidth isn’t available, it’s queued until free. Since it’s short bursts. Transmissions use and relinquish bandwidth quickly. Streaming data, such as video is persistent whereby it consumes the bandwidth available and ties it up until completed. Thus, other requests will be denied due to lack of bandwidth. Persistent connections tie-up bandwidth for a long-time. Even voice isn’t persistent. While the call might be, bandwidth is only used when someone speaks, so utilization is in bursts.

Tie the two together, add in the huge bandwidth needed, and it’s a bad idea for video chat.

Video chat will probably be available on WiFi. The front camera might also be for recording video (video message) or taking pictures of one’s self.

Signature

Financial Alchemist

Posted: 29 May 2010 07:10 AM #17

I wouldn’t get too hung up about what the public knows or thinks it knows about the next iPhone in advance of the next launch.

About the only thing demystified is the possible form factor.  As for faster processor, better battery, better screen, a new camera on the front, an improved one with flash on the back, was any of this really much of a surprise?  Hardly.  Also, no one has a clue about the specifics of these “hardware” features.

The proof is in the announcement and Steve Jobs demo, not a product leak where the true specs remain unknown.

How fast does the iPhone really run?  How long does the battery last, and is it for around 1000 charges like the new-tech custom Apple batteries?  What are the actual camera/flash specs?

More importantly, what about the software features?  The 3GS brought a pretty compelling video with tap-to-focus autofocus capability and dead-simple video trimming and uploading.  We also got a compass and Voice Control.  As important as the specs of the next iPhone are to remain competitive, the interface is even more important, and the next iPhone is bound to have some cool new abilities in that department.  A massively improved Voice Control, for example, would be a great feature “not in hardware” that could be a real draw for prospective iPhone buyers.

The iPhone leak, unfortunate though it was for Apple, made me more enthusiastic about what might be announced at the WWDC keynote.  Those many millions of us with our trusty-but-kinda-slow iPhone 3G models are that much more motivated to get in line for the 2010 edition when the release date is announced.  Bloggers and pundits can whine all they want about being “underwhelmed”, what will move AAPL going forward are the sales figures.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 May 2010 01:21 PM #18

[quote author=“Mav” date=“1275142228”

How fast does the iPhone really run?  How long does the battery last, and is it for around 1000 charges like the new-tech custom Apple batteries?  What are the actual camera/flash specs?

This may not be the proper place to ask this, but I’ll not likely find a more appropriate thread.

How long does it take to fully charge the iPad’s 10 hour battery? Via plugging into wall current and not via USB.

If the new iPhone has a similar long life battery, will that mean it won’t charge as quickly via USB?

Edit: maybe I should have checked on my own first.

[ Edited: 29 May 2010 01:23 PM by willrob ]      

Posted: 29 May 2010 03:00 PM #19

IMHO, user-friendliness issues, customer satisfaction/retention, all that stuff is just as relevant to AFB as the “nuts and bolts” number stuff.

The prototype iPhone, assuming the battery capacity is final, is estimated to be maybe 15% larger than previously.  We’re not looking at an iPad-type capacity battery anytime soon, so charge time isn’t something that Apple can’t address with its high-power USB ports or a tweaked AC adapter.  Ordinary USB charging should still be fine.  I really wish Apple would bundle in FW2 sync/charge, maybe even USB3, but that’ll never happen.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 May 2010 03:31 PM #20

Mav - 29 May 2010 10:10 AM

I wouldn’t get too hung up about what the public knows or thinks it knows about the next iPhone in advance of the next launch.

The iPhone leak, unfortunate though it was for Apple, made me more enthusiastic about what might be announced at the WWDC keynote.  Those many millions of us with our trusty-but-kinda-slow iPhone 3G models are that much more motivated to get in line for the 2010 edition when the release date is announced.  Bloggers and pundits can whine all they want about being “underwhelmed”, what will move AAPL going forward are the sales figures.

I could not agree with you more.  There will be some surprises at WWDC, but expectations are unrealistic given the build-up, albeit lessened from the leaks.  Outside of the “reality distortion field” following Jobs’ presentation, Apple will sell as many iPhones as it can make.  And this # will be very very large.  It’s a great time to own Apple.

Posted: 29 May 2010 05:15 PM #21

My niece just called, she just bought a new iPhone, I didn’t have the heart to tell her about
    the one coming out soon.