$499

• Posted: 30 May 2010 09:51 AM

Lots of pundits are revising their view of the iPad’s potential after the international launch, but to me the most telling observation came from this Vancouver reporter about the launch line at a local store:

Randy Ekholm came upon the downtown lineup by accident but decided to join in. En route home from his overnight shift as a security guard, he saw people collecting near the Apple store and decided to check it out.

“I wasn’t really planning on buying an iPad today,” he said. ” But I need a new computer; I’ll get a keyboard and accessories.”

This isn’t a doctor or lawyer, this is an average Joe buying one on IMPULSE.  That’s the power of the $499 price point.  If the iPad had been priced at $800 or more as we anticipated, this would be an entirely different story. 

The revolution is the technology, but the magic is the price.

Posted: 30 May 2010 12:31 PM #1

Oh yeah…  that $ 499 bug is looking right at me.

Posted: 30 May 2010 05:29 PM #2

Not to be too picky, but here in Canada (assuming the article is about the launch in Vancouver BC) the iPad starts at $549.

Still, most of the people I’ve seen and heard of buying the iPad are average people.

• Posted: 30 May 2010 07:30 PM #3

The $499 price point also, IMHO, delayed any competitors plans to bring out a ‘me too’ product by several months.

• Posted: 30 May 2010 08:54 PM #4

Here’s another average Joe picking up his iPad, only it’s in Japan and he gets a photo op with an actress as a bonus.  I can’t stop looking at this picture, and I don’t think it’s because of all the iPads. 

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201348252b2ee970c-popup