AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 03 June 2010 07:21 AM #61

artman1033 - 03 June 2010 03:29 AM

From the NYT EDITORIAL PAGE

While it is perfectly reasonable for Apple to make lots of money from the iPhone and the iPad, no company should be allowed to simply wall off a market. It is up to antitrust regulators to ensure that competition prevails.

you mean like the DOJ did to MS in the 90’s ?

• Posted: 03 June 2010 10:40 AM #62

WS new execution style - “SELL THE RUMOR, SELL THE NEWS”

Posted: 03 June 2010 10:51 AM #63

Changes in OI(Jun calls)
    Yesterday’s open…Today’s open
    Jun 260 27k….......28.7k
    Jun 270 34k….......35.6k
    Jun 280 30k….......31.2k
    Jun 290 36k….......38.4k
    Jun 300 31k….......33.9k

OI increases for all calls esp for 290 and 300.  OI of 300 catching up with 270, I guess is bullish.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 June 2010 11:01 AM #64

Mace - 03 June 2010 01:51 PM

Changes in OI(Jun calls)
    Yesterday’s open…Today’s open
    Jun 260 27k….......28.7k
    Jun 270 34k….......35.6k
    Jun 280 30k….......31.2k
    Jun 290 36k….......38.4k
    Jun 300 31k….......33.9k

OI increases for all calls esp for 290 and 300.  OI of 300 catching up with 270, I guess is bullish.

This has always been a curiosity to me. My thinking is that when OI increases on an option, more contracts are being written. Since many option writers hope that their option is never called, then an increase in OI would suggest movement in the opposite direction or at a minimum price stability.  Is my thinking flawed?

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 03 June 2010 11:31 AM #65

Play Ultimate - 03 June 2010 02:01 PM

... This has always been a curiosity to me. My thinking is that when OI increases on an option, more contracts are being written. Since many option writers hope that their option is never called, then an increase in OI would suggest movement in the opposite direction or at a minimum price stability.  Is my thinking flawed?

You don’t know whether is due to options writers sell-to-open or option traders buy-to-open.  Does OI(calls) lead, lag or in sync with price?  Does OI(calls) increase over time?  Option traders lead, lag or in sync with the market?

Why I said is bullish is because increase of OI(calls) for higher strike price over lower strike price increases max pain.  Theoretically price tends towards max pain on OE, hence an increase in max pain is bullish.

Signature

Posted: 03 June 2010 11:41 AM #66

Could this be the reason we’re laggign a bit today?

Despite rumors and speculation, Apple?s iPhone isn?t heading to the Verizon network any time soon. Verizon spokesperson John Johnson confirmed the cell service provider won?t be offering support for any mobile devices from Apple, including the iPhone and iPad, in the ?immediate future.

• Posted: 03 June 2010 11:46 AM #67

As I see it this AAPL-VZ Pissing contest is going to benefit ANDROID sales. Steve is making a strategic mistake here by being stubborn. This is how AAPL lost eons ago in the PC arena. Agreed there was virtually no competition when iphone was released. Every VZ subscriber I know has had enough with these rumors, and will opt for ANDROID.  :groucho:

[ Edited: 03 June 2010 11:59 AM by thealct ]      
  • Posted: 03 June 2010 12:07 PM #68

Even if the iPhone was going to Verizon later this year ... I don’t see any way they would announce it until after the 4G iPhone initial roll out ... give AT&T a chance to sign up new customers/renew existing customers ...

Posted: 03 June 2010 12:12 PM #69

adamthompson3232 - 03 June 2010 03:04 PM

Also, keep in mind that ATT just made some significant changes to its pricing. What do you think triggered this? I think the coming HD iPhone had a lot to do with it as I suspect Apple anticipates overwhelming demand for the new phone and ATT would obviously be privy to some of Apple’s sentiment on this. ATT also isn’t dumb and knows what kind of attention the new iPhone has gotten around the world already. Also, I suspect ATT sees VZ making similar pricing changes in the future due at least in part on the iPhone coming to them. I see these changes dovetailing with an impending (a few months out) VZ iPhone launch.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part but there is pretty impressive circumstantial evidence supporting this view.

I would like to add that I’m an iPhone user who bought and used an iPad on a trip to my Dad’s recently and was shocked at how little surfin’ you can do with 200 megabytes.  So, yesterday I checked my historical data usage on the iPhone and found that I am indeed always under 200 megabytes.  Why?  Answer is the iPad is fun to read webpages and do other stuff, and iPhone is, well, for me it means putting on my glasses in public.  Hehehe.  Seriously the iPad is more fun.  My take is that it is the iPad causing the pricing change from AT&T, and the 4G/HD is only going to add to the data hogging burden. VoIP is going to be big and use even more data bandwidth.  As much as we would all leave AT&T at the first opportunity, $25 for 2 gigs still beats a Mi-Fi, which is 5 gigs for $60.  If you can make do with 2 gigs, that is.  If you do need 5 gigs of data, AT&T, Verizon Mi-Fi, and Sprint Mobile Hotspot Broadband 3G/4G are all 60 bucks.  For most data users, AT&T will still have an edge, just not as much of one.  The all-you-can-eat model couldn’t last forever, and the way Apple and others are selling data hogging devices, we are all going to need free Wi-Max or something sooner that we thought.

[ Edited: 03 June 2010 12:35 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 03 June 2010 12:15 PM #70

adamthompson3232 - 03 June 2010 03:04 PM

Also, keep in mind that ATT just made some significant changes to its pricing. What do you think triggered this? I think the coming HD iPhone had a lot to do with it as I suspect Apple anticipates overwhelming demand for the new phone and ATT would obviously be privy to some of Apple’s sentiment on this. ATT also isn’t dumb and knows what kind of attention the new iPhone has gotten around the world already. Also, I suspect ATT sees VZ making similar pricing changes in the future due at least in part on the iPhone coming to them. I see these changes dovetailing with an impending (a few months out) VZ iPhone launch.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part but there is pretty impressive circumstantial evidence supporting this view.

I also think their is a growing body of antidotal information pointing to a Verizon launch this year but their is about zero chance IMO that Verizon would jump ahead in the rollout plan before the carriers that were with Apple from the beginning.  For all the bitching people have about ATT, they were the ones that did the major risk sharing with Apple, IMO they should be rewarded, and to give the Iphone HD to Verizon would be a huge slap in the face.  That said a fall launch could be reasonable.

Posted: 03 June 2010 01:18 PM #71

Mace - 03 June 2010 02:31 PM
    Play Ultimate - 03 June 2010 02:01 PM

... This has always been a curiosity to me. My thinking is that when OI increases on an option, more contracts are being written. Since many option writers hope that their option is never called, then an increase in OI would suggest movement in the opposite direction or at a minimum price stability.  Is my thinking flawed?

You don’t know whether is due to options writers sell-to-open or option traders buy-to-open.  Does OI(calls) lead, lag or in sync with price?  Does OI(calls) increase over time?  Option traders lead, lag or in sync with the market?

Why I said is bullish is because increase of OI(calls) for higher strike price over lower strike price increases max pain.  Theoretically price tends towards max pain on OE, hence an increase in max pain is bullish.

I knew my thinking was off but I wasn’t exactly sure why.  Thanks for restating what should have been obvious.  :dunce:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 03 June 2010 02:13 PM #72

artman1033 - 03 June 2010 03:56 PM

.... MACE: You made the right call last week when you noticed the EXTREME high volume intraday of the 270 calls. Last THURSDAY, when you first noted it, The price of the June 270 call was 2.45. It is now 4.93

I wonder how many of those buy-to-open guys sold into the rally yesterday or wrote Jun 290/300 calls against the position.  Given that OI for Jun270 didn’t decrease, is possible that more is doing the latter.  Just looking for reasons why OI for Jun290/300 calls has increased more than the other calls LOL.

Signature

Posted: 03 June 2010 02:26 PM #73

Thinking aloud:  Should I bail out of the call verticals Jun $260/$270?  IV for Jun continues to decline.  2-3 days uptrend is broken, 5-8 days uptrend support is at $256-7.  OE is 15 days away.  SJ’s keynote is 1 biz day away.

Signature

Posted: 03 June 2010 02:44 PM #74

Damn!  I stepped away from the computer for an hour and look what happened!  I missed my chance to be overcome with fear and liquidate my entire AAPL position!!

• Posted: 03 June 2010 02:47 PM #75

Don’t worry ... it’s AAPL after all , you will have plenty of time for fear and panic in the next few months ... : )

zulu - 03 June 2010 05:44 PM

Damn!  I stepped away from the computer for an hour and look what happened!  I missed my chance to be overcome with fear and liquidate my entire AAPL position!!