Why FaceTime and not iChat?

Posted: 08 June 2010 04:46 PM

Two similar Apple products that can’t video chats with each other.  What is Apple thinking?  Does this mean iChat would be replaced by FaceTime?  Is it because iChat needs AIM or MobileMe accounts?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 08 June 2010 05:48 PM #1

Mace - 08 June 2010 07:46 PM

Two similar Apple products that can’t video chats with each other.  What is Apple thinking?  Does this mean iChat would be replaced by FaceTime?  Is it because iChat needs AIM or MobileMe accounts?

Yes, it would require the iPhone user to pay for AIM or MobileMe. Since Apple has submitted FaceTime as a mobile standard, eventually we may see other phone makers (even Android OS phones) use FaceTime, and then the limit on who you can call will seem less inhibiting. Just down call Erin Burnett when she’s in the bathroom.

Posted: 08 June 2010 10:49 PM #2

Facetime bill be imo the basic ichat. If you are a full MobileMe user you have multiple chat as of now

Listening to the keynote one slide got my attention. Sj said that in 2010 Apple will ship 10’s of millions of face Time devices.

If we count iPhone, iPod touch, can we go near 10’s of millions?

I guess we need to add Mac, adaptor for the iPad and probably a small device that use wifi and act as a phone

• Posted: 09 June 2010 12:46 AM #3

Is it just me or is “Facetime” just the worst name Apple ever gave to anything….. sorry guys but its just so American for me..

Such a shame it doesn’t come iChat compatible…..

I still cant wait to get a iPhone 4….

[ Edited: 09 June 2010 01:00 AM by Downunder ]      
  • Posted: 09 June 2010 12:51 AM #4

michelc - 09 June 2010 01:49 AM

Facetime bill be imo the basic ichat. If you are a full MobileMe user you have multiple chat as of now

Listening to the keynote one slide got my attention. Sj said that in 2010 Apple will ship 10’s of millions of face Time devices.

If we count iPhone, iPod touch, can we go near 10’s of millions?

I guess we need to add Mac, adaptor for the iPad and probably a small device that use wifi and act as a phone

Since Apple is making FaceTime an open standard ... I am assuming they are hoping other manufacturers will adopt it on their phones too.

• Posted: 09 June 2010 01:46 AM #5

By keeping it separate, Apple is keeping (a) the standardisation process and (b) the negotiations with the carriers, focussed and easier to complete. And they conceal for as long as possible the direction they will develop it.

Posted: 09 June 2010 02:18 AM #6

In business video chat is distracting.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 09 June 2010 04:58 AM #7

Inside iPhone 4: FaceTime video calling

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 09 June 2010 07:22 AM #8

Derrick - 09 June 2010 03:51 AM

Since Apple is making FaceTime an open standard ... I am assuming they are hoping other manufacturers will adopt it on their phones too.

But he said that Apple would be shipping those devices. The fact that he said devices and not iPhone we CAN speculate that other are on th? way. Could Apple create a kind of voip phone for the home for less then a 100$?

• Posted: 09 June 2010 08:40 AM #9

michelc - 09 June 2010 10:22 AM

But he said that Apple would be shipping those devices. The fact that he said devices and not iPhone we CAN speculate that other are on th? way. Could Apple create a kind of voip phone for the home for less then a 100$?

Now that would sell and sell, but i think the price point would be $199 as it would not be subsidised

• Posted: 09 June 2010 09:01 AM #10

I have been thinking some more on the thought of the voip phone its a ipod touch with front facing camera…. the only problem is SJ said you don’t have to ad anyone to address book or anything just call ( i can’t remember his exact words) so i am guessing it is using the mobile phone number to find that contact and make a facetime call.. that is not going to work with a ipod with no sim card..

Posted: 09 June 2010 12:43 PM #11

Could Apple redo iChat, or create a new OSX app, so that it works with FaceTime? That might be easier, if indeed it can be done, than trying to make FaceTime work with iChat

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 09 June 2010 12:54 PM #12

I’ve been waiting since the 3GS came out for Apple to allow us to use it as webcam with iChat…
    I wonder if no effort at all is being given to iChat anymore.

Posted: 09 June 2010 01:44 PM #13

Sir Harry Flashman - 09 June 2010 03:43 PM

Could Apple redo iChat, or create a new OSX app, so that it works with FaceTime? That might be easier, if indeed it can be done, than trying to make FaceTime work with iChat

If we looked at the acronym soup Apple thew on screen with the Facetime app they are many of the same technologies used in iChat which is an XMPP(Jabber Client).  My guess is Apple is proposing Facetime as a Jingle client which is an RTP extension to XMMP.  Will have to see what the technical details hold.  Jingle cutting edge VoIP

[ Edited: 09 June 2010 04:22 PM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 09 June 2010 01:56 PM #14

I suspect that Apple started out this way to make it to be as simple as possible. With FaceTime you just push a button to begin a videoconference mid call. Even though the video stream is going over wifi, it’s just another call feature, kind of like switching to speakerphone or muting the call. You don’t need to open a separate app and sign up with a separate account. That could be a big hindrance to some people and Apple wants it to be dead simple to use, otherwise a good number of your average users won’t end up using it at all.

That said, I bet they will eventually add support for phone-to-computer videoconferencing. Or a third party will step in, such as Beejive or IM+ will add support for video to AIM/iChat users.

Posted: 09 June 2010 03:28 PM #15

Apple filed for a patent a couple of years ago that would let the user hand off an ichat video conference from a handheld device to their desktop- Face Time conversation as you are walking in the door, when you sit down at your iMac you drop your phone in the dock and keep going on the same conversation in iChat.  Before we come unhinged at the notion of Apple having 2 chat clients that can’t talk to one another, let’s just relax and take a breath.  Let’s give them time.  iPhone 4 hasn’t even been released for PRE-ORDER and already people are bitching.

[ Edited: 09 June 2010 09:43 PM by acdc1174 ]

Signature

A just war is in the long run far better for a nation’s soul than the most prosperous peace obtained by acquiescence in wrong or injustice.-  Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (1858 - 1919)