Bunkum and Balderdash: The iPad Is Not A PC

• Posted: 20 June 2010 04:22 PM #16

Mav - 20 June 2010 07:16 AM

I know it’s not the central focus of your article, but I will say (and you might not necessarily disagree) that the PC isn’t “over” over.  To borrow a SJ analogy, I think it’s in its “summer”.  At the same time, it’s not yet a “truck” - there’s still some time left before new PC growth stalls (I’d think we’d see a dropoff of growth before any actual negative growth).

Yes, I think it is the “simmer” of the PC. The flavors are still requiring some time time to mix for best taste, but all the ingredients have been added and we pretty well know what we’re going to eat.

The iPad is still growing and I think one day before too long it will replace the PC for a surprising number of users. The tasks that are not handled by the future iPad will start to seem not worth the hassle for the majority of people. How long before we see an iPad that does not need to be initialized or sync’ed via iTunes on a PC?

• Posted: 20 June 2010 04:30 PM #17

DawnTreader - 20 June 2010 05:52 AM

My latest missive at Eventide.

Snippet: The Apple iPad isn’t a PC. While the iPad may perform some general computing tasks, it’s primarily a content conduit for music, movies and apps. The PC era is over. Based on revenue share and operating profit share, Apple won the PC war similar to the way the company won the digital music player war. The company is continuing to win the smartphone war and has engaged competitors on new turf with the release of the Apple iPad.

I’m adding the original post to page 2 of the topic.

[ Edited: 20 June 2010 08:09 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 20 June 2010 07:11 PM #18

Why mobile innovation is blowing away PCs:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/HXbM6qpeIhQ/

I apologize for link.

• Posted: 21 June 2010 07:37 PM #19

mac/win - 20 June 2010 10:11 PM

Why mobile innovation is blowing away PCs:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/HXbM6qpeIhQ/

I apologize for link.

Yet more reasons the iPad is not a “PC”.

Posted: 22 June 2010 10:55 AM #20

It’s a 21’st century newspaper smile

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:53 PM #21

IMO the term PC is not really useful. It’s too broad. PC has become a term like Automobile or Shipping. It’s so broad that you can’t talk about the iPad’s effect on the PC any more than you can talk about the Prius’s impact on the Auto industry. The Prius was a game changer for cars. If you are in the market for a bus, or a motorcycle, not so much.

Will the iPad replace PCs? Yes if you are talking about NetBooks, we’re already seeing that. In some cases if you’re talking about laptops. I could see my wife replacing her MacBook with one, for me I need more power and a real keyboard to write on. Yes if you are talking about POS devices. Not for most users if you’re talking about full desktops used for heavy content creation. It depends on what part of the business you are looking at.

Of course we’re talking over the next year or two. Five years from now all bets are off. As the first Mac evolved so did it’s impact. As the iPad grows up its impact will change. Everyone’s crystal ball is frosty that far out.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 22 June 2010 11:05 PM #22

Frankly, I’m remembering the last time everyone was describing the death of the PC; the great “Convergence” of 1997, where every appliance was going to be internet enabled, and set-top boxes would take over from the PC.

Didn’t happen. Apple actually won out by introducing the concept of the “Digital Hub”, where the computer enhanced and expanded upon the abilities of digital devices like iPods, cameras, phones and video recorders. With a central computer, you had a big screen, lots of cross-application synergy, internet access, and a robust user interface that wasn’t possible on the distributed gadgets predicted by convergence proponents.  All this, plus the traditional role as a home workstation has kept the PC market alive and well.

The iPad and the Internet have made ultraportable computing far more practical than ever before, and I agree that it’s redefined the market that has been attempted by the likes of the Newton and Netbooks. However, one of the prime markets for the home PC has always been the home business market. The ability to actually perform work on a home computer is a big part of the way people justify the cost of a PC, and while the iPad and Internet has made the iPad more useful in this regard, the lack of an internal file-sharing system, peripheral support, and lack of power for high-end applications will ensure a place for the laptop and desktop systems in the home market, and those will overlap into iPad territory.

Now, if you want to quibble, you could always redefine that as a “Home workstation” environment, but I see it as a PC by any other name.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.