iPhone 4 accessory compatibilty

• Posted: 27 June 2010 05:27 AM

Please post any existing accessories you have tried with the iPhone 4 so others can know whether they work or not.

Specifically, I’m talking about docks, car integration, etc. That is, electronic gadgets, not cases, etc. which are obviously made for specific models.

[ Edited: 27 June 2010 05:40 AM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 27 June 2010 05:39 AM #1

iPad keyboard dock: Yes, appears fully functional. I have tried this with my iPhone 4, as well as an iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0. The angle when attached to the dock doesn’t feel quite right though, so I don’t feel comfortable using it very much for fear of damaging the dock connector.

Mercedes-Benz iPod integration: Partially compatible. Tested with iPod integration installed in a 2006 C230 sedan. Music plays and steering wheel controls work, but the phone suggests I switch to airplane mode and warns that it will not charge with this accessory. This is the same behavior experienced with my previous iPhone 3G. I’ll continue using my older 4th gen black-and-white iPod in the glove box. There may be multiple versions of this integration kit, and it may work fine on later models, just not mine.

Nike+: It’s supposed to work - if I connect the receiver from my old nano it says this accessory is not necessary since support is built-in. The iPhone tells me to walk around with the sensor, but never picked it up. Are there multiple versions of the sensor, and mine is just too old?

AirPort Express (802.11b/g): It charges the iPhone 4 if dock cable is connected to the USB port. Same with previous iPhones. If only they’d add support for streaming to an AirPort Express from iPhones, iPods and iPads!

[ Edited: 27 June 2010 05:47 AM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 27 June 2010 12:12 PM #2

I had the original Bose Sound Dock that I bought to use with my Ipod. I then got the Iphone 3G and it did not work with it. Six months ago I bought the Bose Sound Dock 10. I was afraid that my new Iphone 4 might not work with it, but it does.

• Posted: 27 June 2010 12:16 PM #3

David Nelson - 27 June 2010 08:39 AM

Nike+: It’s supposed to work - if I connect the receiver from my old nano it says this accessory is not necessary since support is built-in. The iPhone tells me to walk around with the sensor, but never picked it up. Are there multiple versions of the sensor, and mine is just too old?

!

The non replaceable battery in the Nike+ transmitter (the part in the shoe) does eventually wear out, weakening the signal.

Posted: 27 June 2010 01:59 PM #4

Works fine with my iHome alarm clock (charging and iPod function).  I believe I have the iP88 version, single-dock model sold last year (man, they needed a better model name than “iP”).

Requires you remove the universal dock attachments, but you don’t have to remove your case if it’s thin enough.  Yes, I’m not following the safety instructions, but my iPhone 3G never blew up from overheating/whatever.  Strangely, leaving the case on makes it easier to dock the iPhone, because the dock adapters add separation from the 30-pin connector.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 June 2010 12:34 PM #5

The iPhone 4 dock won’t accept a phone with the Apple bumper.

Pity about that

• Posted: 28 June 2010 12:58 PM #6

iPad camera connector won’t work (get the not-supported message).

Hopefully this will change, and it’s being held back for the moment by software/firmware. (Part of this could be the lack of a photo viewer app on the iPhone that has internal architecture similar to the iPad’s photos app) There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be possible to import photos into the iPhone 4 the same way it already works with the iPad.

• Posted: 28 June 2010 03:14 PM #7

iphone 2g dock works with the iphone 4

• Posted: 28 June 2010 08:55 PM #8

vpndev - 28 June 2010 03:34 PM

Pity about that

From iLounge

iPhone 4 Bumpers exhibit accessory compatibility issues

Apple?s new iPhone 4 Bumper cases are causing issues with prior-generation Apple cables and earlier headphones. A number of readers have reported that older Apple and third-party accessories are incompatible with the very tight port holes on the new Bumper cases, leaving owners unable to use many third-party cables and headphones. Notably, Apple?s own included cables and headphones should fit without issue, as tested by iLounge with both white and black Bumper cases.

• Posted: 28 June 2010 11:13 PM #9

vpndev - 28 June 2010 03:34 PM

Pity about that

I wouldn’t know, as the Apple store is out of BOTH accessories!  I don’t think the dock is a big deal for me, however.  I wish Apple WOULD take a page from Palm and have a wireless charger (must be patented?).  The Palm Pre’s charging system is SLICK!  Here it is.

• Posted: 29 June 2010 01:17 AM #10

There are iPhone cases that are part of a wireless charging system, coupled with a charging pad. I don’t remember who makes them, although I did just see them today on one of the zillion web pages I visited [I try to read the whole internet each night before going to bed].

edit: there this, but it’s not the one I’m thinking of.

edit two: I think this is the one I was thinking of.

Just to be certain I’ll re-read the internet one more time. Or as George Bush would say, “the internets.”

[ Edited: 29 June 2010 01:24 AM by willrob ]      

Posted: 29 June 2010 01:33 AM #11

Powermat is the “top of mind” inductive charging solution far as I know.

Nifty, but I’m more of a “get a nice case and plug the iPhone as needed” guy myself.  It helps that the iPhone 4 seems to get significantly better battery life than my 3G or original iPhone (which had close to the same capacity battery as the iPhone 4, according to reports) ever did.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 June 2010 03:31 AM #12

iPhone 4 connects to the iPod integration of my Kia Cee’d car stereo allowing the track previous/next/random/sort to be controlled from the steering wheel buttons.  Previous iPhone models have just flashed up the ‘the accessory is not compatible’ box whereas now i get a ‘this is not designed to work with iPhone’ although it plays controls and charges smile